Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB clear coat  (Read 1548 times)

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
WTB clear coat
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:44 PM »

Where can I buy clear coat?

Thanks
Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: WTB clear coat
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »

I'll get a clear coat for ya', if you model it for me! ;D ;D ;D
OK. Seriously, buy it where your paint was bought... it really needs to be the same type as your paint to keep compatibility issues down.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

I didn't buy any paint, I just removed the decals and need to add a coat or 2 of clear coat. Where would you buy the paint?

Sherri
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:40:32 AM by sherri »

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »

If you are questioning where to buy the paint, you probably are not the best person to be applying it....no offense intended.  If you want the clear coat to look good and, as Snake said, be compatible with the paint on your bike, you would be better off consulting a professional painter.  They will have the knowledge AND the equipment to do the job properly.  Just make sure you see some of the 'painter's' work before you let them experiment on your bike and get some references.  And, unless you have seen the results of the 'friend that can paint' or 'my brother-in-law knows how to paint', stay away from the amateurs!!!
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »

I just want to add 1 layer of clear coat to prevent rust from where the decal was that I took off it was under the clear coat. I have used an epoxy that you use a torch to keep bubbles from froming, and polyeurathane before, but not cleat coat.

Sherri

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 05:15:52 AM »

Sherri,

I bought some paint and clear coat from colorrite. Haven't used it yet, but here's the link. I have to repaint my side covers. I lost a vtx emblem that I had epoxied on. The epoxy buggered up the paint so I have to sand mine down. I got base, color and clear. All three in spray cans. $100.00 for the three cans.

Good luck!

http://www.colorrite.com/

I went to the site and read a little. You will probably have to give them your color number to get the compatable clear coat. The part I read only addresses new  paint. They may have something on there that talks about just clear.

Clearcoat Products
The clearcoat is the hardest working part of any vehicle’s paint, and to ensure your chosen paint scheme hits with the necessary impact you’ll need to do the clearcoat right. In most cases, the clearcoat is required for the color coat to cure properly, and in the case of ColorRite colors, you’ll want to use a ColorRite clearcoat. Buy a can of color and you want a matching can of clear. ColorRite knows how important this perfect combination of color and clear is to your finished product. Tested and tested again, all of their clearcoats are chemically ideal for working with ColorRite paints.

Durability, shine and gloss are the primary functions of any clearcoat. The urethane-based ColorRite products available here are specifically formulated for a satisfying end-result when working with ColorRite colors.

When choosing between aerosol and liquid delivery media, it’s important to employ a vector you’re comfortable using; for instance, if you’re a rattle-can guy, stick with the spray can.

As for quantities, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got enough. The pint can is moped-sized, and the quart is motorcycle-sized. You’ll want at least two quarts for a jet-ski. Single fairings, tails and tank jobs need half a pint, and when working with aerosol you’ll need at least two cans for a big fairing, or one can for a wheel or helmet. Pens and touch-up jars are good for just about that – touch-up – but they’re perfect when you want a small parcel of paint for small jobs.

The clearcoats sold here all meet or exceed the standards set by the original manufacturer of your bike, quad, scooter or ski, and can be used with the full satisfaction that the quality is guaranteed.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:40:29 AM by Dusty »

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »

I second Dusty's instructions; I have a touch up kit of paint and clear coat from Color-rite for my FJR. Pretty easy to use. What did you use to take decals off that make you worry about rust?  :o

Dusty, we seem to be agreeing a lot lately. Has the world gone mad?  ;D ;D ;)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »

How much of an area are you wanting done? I can do it for you cheaper than you can buy the materials probably. Unless you want a gallon of clear and activator. Most of the time 1 cup will cover 3 coats on your whole bike... Pay me for the time and I can help.
03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »

I second Dusty's instructions; I have a touch up kit of paint and clear coat from Color-rite for my FJR. Pretty easy to use. What did you use to take decals off that make you worry about rust?  :o

Dusty, we seem to be agreeing a lot lately. Has the world gone mad?  ;D ;D ;)

Scary ain't it? However, I'm still trying to get over the farmers being yankees.  ;D

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »

How much of an area are you wanting done? I can do it for you cheaper than you can buy the materials probably. Unless you want a gallon of clear and activator. Most of the time 1 cup will cover 3 coats on your whole bike... Pay me for the time and I can help.

Hey Man,  Where are you located?  I have a custom paint job that needs some fresh clear coat on it.  I have a lot of blemishes on the tank from my chaps.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »

Sherri:  Give me a call.  Touch up is what I do for a living.  I have clear, but it depends on the size.  I don’t think the decal was under the clear coat you would have had to cut the clear.  You can come by the house and I’ll either fix it then or tell you what you need to do.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

Thanks guys. Bob I will probably be calling you in the near future :). I am pretty sure the decal was under the clear coat we used a heat gun to take off there is a little outline where it was.

Sherri

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal