Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: break in service  (Read 2819 times)

bigcrow68

break in service
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:07:35 PM »

Do anyone know how much is the break in service cost? I have a 05 VTX with 1000mi on it.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: break in service
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:02:27 AM »

I'll break it in for free.  Bring it over.  About 3000 miles should do it right?    O0

*Closet Darksider*

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »

A valve adjustment and oil change, and checking bolts, etc. It's something you can do yourself if you have a service manual and are mechanically adept. You probably have people near you who can guide you through. You're looking at probably  $200 - $400 at a dealership; it varies by dealer.
02 1800C

ruger9mm

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »

Cycle Shack in Conroe about $275.00 or so.  Call C&C Cycles in the Woodlands ask for Rob he gave me a good deal on some Mods that beat everyone else by about $200.00.
281-419-8786
William
06 1300 Retro

wolfpack72

• Rider
  • 2007 1300 VTXc
    • my space page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »

I just had this done to 2007 1300 VTXc. It cost 237 bucks and some change luckily I had a coupon for the oil change for free.  This was at the Georgetown Honda dealer
Just be patient I'm a work in progress

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:32 PM »

The service at the 'stealer' is a friggin' rip off!!  Get yourself a manual and even if you have to buy a few tools and solicit some help, DO IT YOURSELF!  You will have the satisfaction of having done it and, more importantly, you will know it was done and done right!
I can just about guarantee the 'stealer' would charge you for the valve adjustment and never do it.  An oil change can be done in the dark without a flashlight by a blind man.

Of course, I am a poor man and like to save the bucks.  There are those that have more dollars than sense (yep, pun intended) and they can afford most anything, but, they have to trust the monkey with the wrench.  :-\
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »

One might wonder at the notion of a poor man having $30k in motorcycles in his sig line... LOL  Of course, saving money not going to the dealer for oil changes and valves is helpful in that regard... LOL

;)  I have my shopping list for tools I need, and I plan on learning to do my own valves as well.  I just don't want to spend that much money at the dealer for that kind of work and that much inconvenience.  But I wouldn't go so far as to "guarantee" that they won't do the work.

My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:46:01 PM »

One might wonder at the notion of a poor man having $30k in motorcycles in his sig line... LOL  Of course, saving money not going to the dealer for oil changes and valves is helpful in that regard... LOL

What do you think made me poor!!???  And you don't need a lot of tools to do the valve adjustment.....it's just a big pain in the *ss.  I can vouch for the fact that a lift makes it MUCH easier on an old back!  You could easily buy all the tools you need for the valve adj., including the manual, for what you would pay the stealer to do it.  Heck, if you are within range, you are welcome to use my shop, tools and I will help you with the job....can't beat that with a stick.  Of course, the bike needs to be cold to do the adjustment.
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »

Yeah, I have a shopping list for a couple tools, and I'm going to take advantage of HDL's xmas sale to get the tappet wrench and a few other things...  I wish I could take you up on that offer, but there's no way to get my bike to Tyler cold.  LOL  I have a lift and pepsx stand, so that'll be a big help.
My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »

Just FYI, Morgan,
      I don't have the HDL tappet wrench in my tools.  I use an ignition wrench that fits the adjuster and a box end on the lock nut.  These are a b*tch to get to, but, once you do it a couple of times...it does get easier.  The biggest help and time saver I found was cutting about an inch of the needed feeler gauges and mounting it in the end of some 1/4 inch dowel about 10" long. (I cut a very thin slot in the end of the dowel with an Xacto razor saw, slipped the gauge in, applied a drop or two of super glue, drilled a small hole in the dowel, through the gauge and pushed a hardwood 'pin' into the hole....trimmed and sanded both end flush with the dowel and put a drop of super glue on it.  This allows you to get the thin, flexible feeler gauge where you need it and apply some pressure without it flexing.  Works great for me.

One more thing, while you have the tank off.....get yourself a quick connect for the fuel line....it will make things much easier in the future.  See Tapper's write-ups for info.
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »

Yeah, when I had the tank off to desmog and install my P4, I figured out pretty quickly that those disconnects were a good idea "next time."  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »

Yeah, when I had the tank off to desmog and install my P4, I figured out pretty quickly that those disconnects were a good idea "next time."  LOL

Morgan, you said P4!!! ;D ;D :-X
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 10:21:14 AM »

P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »

Yeah, it's kinda fun...  I have the VTX chrome radiator cover that Honda got all uptight about a couple years back that went quickly out of production too...  I'm an outlaw thataway, it seems.  LOL

P4!!!   :o
My now long gone VTX...

Y2DXPOWER

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »

can I post P4 on the forum if I post it in SPANISH...   ;D
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal