Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crash Bars or Engine Guard  (Read 7254 times)

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
Crash Bars or Engine Guard
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:21:52 AM »

After my spill Sunday I am wanting to buy some crash bars or engine guards or whatever you want to call them...... :D :D

My LeatherLykes saved the rear of my bike. It busted at the seams but other wise held my bike off of the road.

2004 VTX1300C
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
Displaced Texan.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: Crash Bars or Engine Guard
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:05:53 PM »

After my spill Sunday I am wanting to buy some crash bars or engine guards or whatever you want to call them......

Sorry to hear Marigold, I guess you're OK though??? What was the contributing factors??? Did Jim issue you a TICKET??? I'm not knocking the Paladins per se', but although those linked above look fine, there would definitely be a strength issue when comparing those with bars that  connect (loop) both sides together with at least the upper or lower bar, preferably both.
   Again, I hate it happened. How fast were ya' goin'? Got any Pic's for us???? Spread some oriental wisdom on us!

:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:18 PM »

Jim was telling me it will be Ok to put Crash Bars on but if I am in a major accident they will not be worth anything.

He also looked at my bike and there is allot of superficial damage...:( Made a list for the Claims Adjustor. I will be seeing him tomorrow.

My Black Dragon looks like he lost some scales......I think a Crash Bar would have kept allot of it from happening........... :'( My LeatherLyke saved the rear of the bike.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

We all have different experiences.  Two friends had the Paladdin crash bars and in both accidents the bars (While looking nice) failed.

I have the Cobra crash bars.  I went down  last fall in Galveston at the Lone Star Rally.  I was doing about 35-40 mph.  The bike went into a slide, I had the crash bars on so the bars kept my 1800 off my leg.  I pushed the bike away.  I got some road rash, but as for my bike:

The crash bars totally protected the front through passenger seat.  I had beetle bags on, but I ahd also put the rear fender reflectors on the beetle bags.  The reflectors on both sides of the beetlebags were destroyed (Totally worn away) and some scratched on the beetle bags.

The crash bars held and protected the bike. 

I got up and rode away.

I think the big difference between the Cobra and Paladdin is that the Cobra are one piece and the Paladdin are two separate pieces.

There are some scratched on the outside of the Cobra bars I have but the help and did not even bend.  So I would recommend the Cobra.

But that is just my experience.

Good Luck.

Lawrence

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 06:01:01 AM »

Jim was telling me it will be Ok to put Crash Bars on but if I am in a major accident they will not be worth anything.

He also looked at my bike and there is allot of superficial damage...:( Made a list for the Claims Adjustor. I will be seeing him tomorrow.

My Black Dragon looks like he lost some scales......I think a Crash Bar would have kept allot of it from happening........... :'( My LeatherLyke saved the rear of the bike.

Jim Who?   :D  ;D

Jim is probably right about a major accident. I haven't had one. But I would think that engine guards would increase the chance of not having a leg pinned under the bike upon initial contact with the pavement. Of course, if you are t-boned by another vehicle, Jim is RIGHT ON. The guards more than likely will be useless.

I have the Lindby bars and they have saved my paint and legs on three different occasions. One dog, again while mudding in Palo duro Canyon and another instance involving some barricade tape, a throttle lock and a suicidal building.  :-\  Not to mention the stopped drops due to lose gravel, uneven ground and the "oh sh*t my kickstand" move. Yep, I did more stupid stuff in the first two years I had this bike than I like to admit.  :'(

In all three cases, two of which were at really slow speeds, the guards kept the paint and my legs clear. However, the Lindby Bars did bend back toward the engine. (engine guards) They bent between the frame and the mounting point which is the top radiator mounting bolt. After the third instance I took them off and straightened them. Then I drilled and tapped the frame on each side of the radiator mount and bolted the guard at these two points. I'm sure Honda or Lindby would not approve of this, and I haven't laid the bike down since adding the bolts, but I promise they are much more rigid than before and if I do lay the bike over again I feel confident they will do an even better job of keeping the bike off my legs and paint.

Before the guards, if I got off balance moving the bike or grabbed the front brake with the front wheel was turn, like in a slow speed tight turn, I strained every muscle in my body trying to keep the bike off the pavement. Now, I just ease it down on the guard, regroup and stand it back up. Of course, I know everyone isn't as clumsy as me.

I vote for the guards.
Being and looking cool can be costly. Sort of like me not wearing a helmet to be cool temp wise. After hearing of this latest accident I will be purchasing a 3/4 helmet to see if it's cooler than my full face. I'm way too pretty to be banging my head on the pavement.  :D ;D :D

Bill

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »

Thanks for all of your input on the Crash/Engine Bars. I know I will be getting the ones that is one piece. I am not worried about looking good. I didn't have them before because I thought they were $200.00 to $300.00 dollars. In my research I found them to be reasonably priced.

I will check out the Linby Bars. I do like the Fat Cobra's but I can't tell from the picture if they are one piece or 2.

Just looked at the Linby Bars. The price is not right....:( By the way I will not be using them as a Highway Bar either. My legs are too short to reach them.............. ::)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:44:02 PM by VTXLady53 »

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 02:54:20 PM »

Nothing happened to you I guess?  It's the first I've heard of it.

Edit...Just read the Sunday post.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:56:12 PM by j1mmyj4m »
Chunk the llama.

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »

Nothing happened to you I guess?  It's the first I've heard of it.

Edit...Just read the Sunday post.

Can't speak for Sheri but I am one Tough OLD Board.........and GOD was watching over me that day. ;D ;D

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 06:24:20 AM »

Jerry, you actually dragged your floorboards????

Way to go!    O0   O0 

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »

Jerry, you actually dragged your floorboards????

Way to go!    O0   O0 

Be Nice !  >:(  ;)

I don't drag my stock foot pegs if I can help it. I discovered a while back that my Lindby bars are only a 1/4" higher than my foot peg and I've already bragged on how rigid my engine guards are.   :-\

Bill

Dallas Retro

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 08:18:40 AM »

FYI:

I pulled up to a stop sign, and when I put my right foot down it slipped in something, and I went down.  I had next to no damage; A little abrasion to the crashbar, and to the very tip of one muffler.  No dented tank, no bent handlebars, no broken levers, etc.  My Leatherlykes were unscuffed.  So... it might not stop all damage in an accident, but they're sure going to help. 

Mine are National Cycle and I bought them used on VTXOA for $100.00, shipped.

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 12:24:09 PM »

Thanks for all the research.  I am looking for crash bars for my 1300R.  If I had them I would still have flesh on my knee.

cantex

• Tejano
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »

I am glad you are OK. Bikes can be fixed. and every bike needs a little character....
but just a little....

what a long strange trip it's been
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal