Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1800 C heating up  (Read 2138 times)

Thumper

• Trailer Queen
1800 C heating up
« on: December 23, 2006, 05:39:35 PM »

:(    Rode the X about 10 miles at 70 a few days ago.  Outside temp was about 55.  Temp light came on I pulled to the side of the road.  Shut the bike down after a couple of minutes and you could smell the antifreeze cookin.  Brought back to the barn and felt of the reservoir on the bottom.  It was still cold.  I dont have a repair manual.  Does the X have a water pump and does it have a thermostat like a car?  I also noticed the fan was not turning.  Fuse is ok.  If it has a water pump, where is that sucker?  Thanks for the help.  Would like to fix myself instead of stealer. 
Muleshoe, TX
Honor an urge !

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
Re: 1800 C heating up
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 05:58:57 PM »

Take a look at the link below that will take you to the VTXOA repair database with discussions on overheating.  Hope it helps.  Good luck.

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=show&cat=9
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

Thumper

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »

Thanks Snake Doc.  I will try all of that after Santa Claus.  Be a good excuse to get out of the house.
Thumper
Muleshoe, TX
Honor an urge !

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:42:58 PM »

Welcome to the board Thumper
Merry Christmas and hope you get your over heat prob figured out. Need to make the run to the metromess when it warms up and meet and greet.
Al
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 05:40:09 AM »

:(    Rode the X about 10 miles at 70 a few days ago.  Outside temp was about 55.  Temp light came on I pulled to the side of the road.  Shut the bike down after a couple of minutes and you could smell the antifreeze cookin.  Brought back to the barn and felt of the reservoir on the bottom.  It was still cold.  I dont have a repair manual.  Does the X have a water pump and does it have a thermostat like a car?  I also noticed the fan was not turning.  Fuse is ok.  If it has a water pump, where is that sucker?  Thanks for the help.  Would like to fix myself instead of stealer. 
Muleshoe, TX

Welcome to the board Thumper!

What year model is your bike and how many miles? If you are going to wrench on your own bike, you will need the service manual. I've heard you can find them on e-bay. Are, you can buy one from HDL $60. 
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/byProduct.asp?prd=Manual%2FCatalog&ID=477999572

I'm no mechanic. But yes the bike has a water pump and a thermastat. The fan not turning isn't as serious as the water pump or thermastat going out. My fan went out in 90 degree temps. My light never came on and I rode several hundred miles with no over heating. The sensor switch for the fan is mounted in the bottom of the radiator.
I'm thinking that if it was your water pump, you would have lost some coolant and it would be visible. Either in a puddle or on your bike.
I'm gonna guess that you have a stuck thermastat. It's located on the left side under the gas tank right next to the filler. When you add coolant, I suggest you use the Honda premix or be sure you get a coolant that is silicate free. Silicate will damage the seals in your water pump.

Until you get a manual you can go here and get an idea of what you are looking for.
 http://www.hdlparts.com/    Just click on parts finder in the menu, type in your info and choose Radiator. It should take you here. http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out. Someone else will gain from what you learn.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 08:28:23 AM »

Lift the tank, or look up under the front of it, and see if the upper hose from the radiator is collapsed.
02 1800C

Thumper

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 09:36:02 AM »

Merry Christmas to everyone.  Dang, one post and look at the new friends already!  Hooter, Dusty and Hipshot, thanks for the infor.  I will do all that you suggest.  My bike is an 02 1800C model(silver) with 12k on it.  I haven't done much to it yet.  Cobra pipes, back rest and luggage rack, Kur highway pegs and a windshield.  I would rather ride than put stuff on it right now.  I ride to Ruidoso, NM quite a bit during the summer and also to Aspen, CO where my son lives.  If you have never gone the back way through Leadville, CO to Aspen, you gotta do it.  It's a religious experience. Hooter, will def. make a run to metromess this summer.  I'm in the telecommunications business and spend a lot of time in Dallas and Austin.  I will try to keep up with all the goings-on and make plans to be where there's a bunch.  Me and a buddy from "The Shoe" are going to go see the Bluebonnets this spring so maybe there's a thing about that time.  Thanks

Thumper
Muleshoe, TX
Honor an urge !

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »

Next year they have the Bluebonnet Rally in May down in Luckenbach, Texas which they have every year for the past 4. It is a Rally you might say for the TexasXRiders. Just a 3 day event of riding and having a great time new and old friends. This will be my 3rd time to go and would not miss it!! You will meet alot of good people from here and make alot of good friends. And then people like Snake that is mean and old!!  lol ( just kidding) WELCOME to the BOARD and hope to meet you sometime. I have the same bike as yours but with a little bit extra on it. ;D  Take care
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:48:43 AM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »

Maybe old, not mean! Welcome Thumper. Chad has a silver C like yours, although from what I understand, it has changed since last I saw it! Have to look and see where muleshoe is, check out our bluebonnet board and our Colorado board also. Hope your baby cools off.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 09:32:22 PM »

Snake your not old at all just well seasoned!! ;D MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal