Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yesterday I went to the funeral of a man I never met.  (Read 1666 times)

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
Yesterday I went to the funeral of a man I never met.
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

Why? He was a volunteer firefighter from Angleton, a town about 20 miles south of me. Angleton EMS covers my town and we sometimes do mutual aid to them.

Anyway, my fire chief knows a few people in the service and forwarded the information about the funeral to Fort Bend and Galveston counties. Somebody else must have also forwarded the information along. Between the Brazoria County Cavalry, friends and the available fire trucks of three counties, the funeral procession was 2 miles long. My direct observation was turning from westbound Henderson on the north side of town onto southbound Velasco, I saw the Cannan street intersection was being crossed by the lead Cavalry riders. When I entered the Cannan street intersection, there were still emergency vehicles turning onto Velasco.

As we approached the cemetery, two ladder trucks (one from Alvin, the other from Lake Jackson) had suspended a HUGE American flag over the road that we had to drive under. We filled the parking lot, needless to say.

His widow was presented with a Texas flag that had flown over the state capitol, the American flag that was draped over his casket and his firefighter helmet. None of this really bothered me except for the usual Texas heat.

But then, several radio pagers went off in the crowd and I thought "Just Fricking Great! Someone has to run to a fire NOW? What lousy timing." But the dispatcher got on the radio and called "Dispatch to Firefighter 8" three times before announcing to all units that "Firefighter 8 was out of service. Rest in Peace, John Henry." The place sure got dusty about then and I think I got something in my eye.

Heck, it's dusty right now just writing about it.

I never met John Henry with the 27 letter last name. I met his brother who was truly amazed at the number of firefighters who showed up to respect him. I met his brothers-in-arms. Some I already knew and some I just got to know. John Henry never touched my life while he was alive but he touched me deeply after his death.

John left behind a wife, an eight year old son and a four year old daughter and a lot of friends he never met. He didn't die in the line of duty but was struck by lightning while putting his tools away to get out of the storm.

Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them and do TODAY whatever it is you've been putting off doing.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Yesterday I went to the funeral of a man I never met.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »

You said a mouth full there brother, everyday is a special day  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

jchammer123

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

Wow, good story!  Thanks for sharing with us, we never know what today is gonna bring.  And that's definitely a way to go that not many of us consider on a daily basis.  It always amazes me that somebody like that, who puts their life on the line everyday passes away from something so unexpected and not at all related to what he puts himself through everyday.
Your bike is like your a**, you can wipe it as much as you want, but if you want it clean you gotta use soap and water!!!
(Taken from a member on another board)

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

That is what they do for each fireman and the police do something pretty close.In riding with the PGR have been to many funerals of many I never met and it does touch you if you know them or not have seen many a big tough looking biker with tears in their eyes..Just shows how precious life is live every minute like it is your last.
Alvin,Texas

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

Dust storm hit here just about the time I read your story.

:flag: :flag: 
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

VTX-Dan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

Several years ago, a LifeFlight helicopter crashed after taking off from refueling.  Sadly, there were no survivors.  The flight medic precepted me when I was in EMT school.  I attended the service in Rice Stadium.  It was an amazing service and a befitting memorial to the flight crew.

Toward the end of the service, the did a similar "last page out" to the crew.  There wasn't a dry eye in the packed stadium.  Very moving.

Godspeed John Henry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:12:17 PM by VTX-Dan »
2005 VTX 1300C

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:51:56 AM »

Several years ago, a LifeFlight helicopter crashed after taking off from refueling.  Sadly, there were no survivors.  The flight medic precepted me when I was in EMT school.  I attended the service in Rice Stadium.  It was an amazing service and a befitting memorial to the flight crew.

Toward the end of the service, the did a similar "last page out" to the crew.  There wasn't a dry eye in the packed stadium.  Very moving.

Godspeed John Henry.

My wife, (didn't know her at the time), was working at Hermann when that crash happened.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Steamboat

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

I recently witnessed the largest firefighter funeral that I have ever attended. We lost the Chief at a neighboring city. I worked with him for several years as a firefighter. His funeral procession was at least two miles long. It was a very moving and yet deserving tribute to him.   :flag:
2002 VTX 1800 R BRB (Big Red Bike)

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 03:16:11 AM »

Dust got in my eyes too..................

Live Life to the fullest. Love your Family and Friends.

God will come get you when He is ready for you and you will never know when that will be.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal