Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unfinished projects  (Read 3542 times)

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Unfinished projects
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

How many do you have? I'm talking the ones that you have started in some way, yet it is not done for what ever reason. I started counting now I feel the need to sit down and have a good cry. I won't live that long.
As far as bikes go
My old KLR dirt bike that was stolen dose not run now, that one could be easy or hard I bought parts.
My VW trike. I bought it 10 years ago. Basic tear down and rebuild.
Suz 185 4 wheeler condition unknown.
Cars and trucks
1989 Ford F150 4x4, needs new gear box, stuck in low 4 wd.
1963 VW Bug, oil leak at push rod cover. 
1980 MGB, I bought it new, it has sat with under 20,000mi since 1982. Just got new turn signal switch, but a lot of get er done stuff still to do.
Boats
I have 4 boats in my yard. Only the canoe is good to go. The others need work. 
Other stuff
I have many of the parts needed to build my forge for a old school blacksmith shop.
My kill and grill smoke house fire pit,butcher shop, picnic area. Just the smoke house is done.
The RV station for the trailer needs finished, sewer and water needed, I have power.
The house is a OMG project too long to list. It starts at rewiring, and ends somewhere shy of a total rebuild.
Repair shop. I have a lot of the tools. From hand tools to tire changers. I need a lift or a pit, inside. I'm tired of working on cars outside in all weather. seldom my own car, but I have a lot of young friends with old cars.
All my guns need a going over. no problems just general cleaning. Got a kid that can do that now. with supervision.
The basket ball goal still has a dirt playing field. It's close to lumpy concrete when its not wet.
My house in Hedley needs work, it was getting shabby before my mom died. I do not feel good about that.
I need my truck set up for camping and fishing.
All these things cost money,and time, right now both are in short supply. With my health going to pot, I will never see most of the projects I started
come to be. The big question is, how do you choose what to give up on, and witch ones to do.
No, I do not have a expiration date set, yet. but in light of what I think is important, I'll spend time having fun with the wife and kids, and finish a project when it fits in.
I like my long rides on the bike. Due to health , those rides are getting shorter.
Being old and wrinkled up and ugly, I can deal with. It's these left over dreams that are so hard to let go of.
I need to hold a huge garage sale, or win the lotto. A choice needs to be made.
I grew up among those who would reuse bent nails.
I have the know how, but I will never have the time and the money to see all my projects come to be.
Choosing which ones to abandon feels like failure. Reality sucks.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Unfinished projects
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »

only have a 1978 Zuki into a bobber at the moment.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »

It sounds to me like you have entirely too many projects to begin with even if you were in your 20's and the picture of health.  Unless you have some physical attachment that would literally kill you if you got rid of some of it, then I would start selling off parts of the projects if they're not running or worth selling whole.

You have:
3 Bikes
3 Cars
4 Boats
2 Houses
Other random buildings

I have:
2 Cars
1 Bike
1 House

My list feels like a breath of fresh air compared to a list of overwhelming projects.  I'm 33 and wouldn't take on all of that.  100 bikes maybe, but that's something else.  ;)

Dreams are one thing, but reality is another.  Make a list for yourself and see if it feels like a weight being lifted off as you start crossing off items that aren't that important.
Chunk the llama.

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

The VW trike can come with me!  :thumbup:

I'm sure I can find a home for the 63 VeeDub as well!  :stickpoke:
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

GOG

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »

I'll take the bug in a second for ya if want! I have had 10 of them over the years. I love working on em! :thumbup:

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.."

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

I'll take the bug in a second for ya if want! I have had 10 of them over the years. I love working on em! :thumbup:
Well guess what!! We have a 1958 Europen VW bug and will calling on ya soon!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

i know wha you mean, 64 chrysler new yorker runs but has various leaks, deck for garden shed( built the shed from scratch years ago) started redo of kitchen cabinets not near finished. The fact is this stuff takes a lot of work. I've discovered that when I get home from work, I don't want to work anymore. Would rather ride than work :goldwing:
It's all just part of the adventure!

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »

Y'all stop it! I'm fixin to start crying.   :violin:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »

I Do understand about not enough time in the day/ funds to get things done. With that said I would be willing to take the KLR and the Suz 185 from ya if you decide to get rid of things.

GOG

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Well guess what!! We have a 1958 Europen VW bug and will calling on ya soon!  ;D

Aw crap I said too much!  :laugh: I will be glad to help any way I can Chad :thumbup:

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.."

DEMON

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »

I have done a few projects on my young life... a few things that have work for me getting this projects done is getting help from friends... it makes it fun and motivates you to get the stuff done.  I have taken on only 1 project at a time.  When I did the 240 kit on my old VTX I also had a Mutang Cobra and I was dying to do stuff to it but the VTX was priority.  Start with a good foundation... If you are a bike or car or what ever it may be that your working on.  If is too far gone south, it will take you way too much time and $$$ to get it where u want it to be. 

Projects are fun when you follow through, other wise is just wasted $$$ and time.

P.s.  If any of you need VW parts, Carey's dad and grandpa have enough parts to put 5 or 6 cars together and still have a bunch left over parts.  They have two warehouses full of stuff.  Over 50000 square feet worth of junk... I was in heaven when I got the tour of both places...  I see a VW project for me in the near future!!!!

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »

Here is a first report on Demon's "long-term" project. :notworthy:

http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=12745.0

This project will displace a lot of others, right?
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »

Here is a first report on Demon's "long-term" project. :notworthy:

http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=12745.0

This project will displace a lot of others, right?
Yes that will be one of those life time projects!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 07:52:46 AM »

WHAT? Do you have pictures?
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »

No, I do not have a expiration date set, yet. but in light of what I think is important, I'll spend time having fun with the wife and kids, and finish a project when it fits in.

Sell/give away/scrap the rest of the shi*. Memories of the good times are worth much more.  :thumbup:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal