Tech Talk > Tech Articles and Links

Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe Road test

<< < (2/2)

snake:
Back again. Handling/feel/comfort

When I got my X, I didn't like the riding position at all. I immediately changed the handlebars (I hated those beachbars) to closer pullbacks (a la shadow bars) with a aeomach riser. This made controlling the big heavy beast harder on me, but I was comfier riding it. After 4 or 5 months I became comfortable enough to say I liked it and was glad I bought it. I barely touched both feet down...gravel and sand were worrisome adversaries. Getting on any regular sized bike since then made me think of a toy bike...a ridley type bike. All the guys at work with other bikes didn't park their harleys or Kawasakis or anything close to mine because it was so much bigger. This bike is a tank!
   I have ridden lots of other bikes since then, I always try the new ones. A few I liked the power of but not the price or noise (big dogs, Ultra, etc) The big 120 plus CU IN harley clones had good power but not much else besides looks. Wouldn't want to ride one far. The RUNE? just a fancy Valkerie, too many cylinders, too much money, and although I am sure it prolly could outrun the bigger VTX, it had no "GRUNT". When Yamaha put out this new engine they put it in a "custom" I liked, but couldn't figure how I would get it ready for longer trips...."bagger" it up. When the Stratoliner Deluxe came out, I thought they cost too much: 17240 msrp. it looked good though. Imagine when I saw the one I own now on the front of a thrifty nickel, a brand new 2014 for 11999. WOW. Wed before the BBT I went down and test rode it. Over BBT I was still on the fence, till the next Tuesday. I called the H&W in marshall and they had one for 10999!!
That was all I needed. I got my local H&W to give me this one for the same price. Less than the nada trade in price for a used one. Had to do it guys.
   The VTX with all my bags and tour pak weighs 880 lbs. The narrower handlebars, with the riser, my short legs, the higher tour pak raised  my C of G at least about 6 in higher than regular. On a 10 scale for difficulty, a 8 or 9 for me at slow speeds or moving it in the yard by hand, especiallly since that bad truck wreck in 09.
    The Yamaha, even with the aluminum frame, but without a trunk box yet, at 825 lbs on the same 10 scale at slow speeds or moving by hand....about a 3. That bike seems even more nimble than most sport bikes. I can cut a circle in about half the distance it takes the X. I expected a difference but dayum! Night and day. Anyone that goes down just to test drive one....let me know what you think about it. Especially with that price!

matap:
really glad you are liking it but where are those pictures I keep asking for? huh?!   :stickpoke:

Rocket67:
That is more than I paid for my Glide....oh, wait...no it isn't.  That is a GREAT price on a really nice bike.  I could sell my bike for what I got in it easily and get one of those new and end up saiving some $$$$.  Hmmmm....   :redcard:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version