Tech Talk > Tech Articles and Links

Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe Road test

(1/2) > >>

snake:
  The motor:
 OK. I have a few miles under her belt, so I will do my initial evaluation. In looking for a possible stablemate or replacement for my VTX1800, and Honda not putting up any possibilities, I found that Yamaha makes a few bikes with X power... A 1854CC motor that is the platform of a few of their hottest rods, the raider, roadliner, and the stratoliner. I have seen stock Dyno sheets of 90 to 95 HP stock, which , had I not ridden one, I would have thought of as a exaggeration. Well, I'm convinced. They put a counterbalancer at both ends of the crank to smooth the vibes out. It is air cooled, but then, no radiator or water leaks!
   Yamaha came out with this motor to compete with the VTX1800, in my book. But they also went after the 1300 VTX lovers also, the Xv1900 motor having the single crankpin and Harlyesque sound in addition to the large jugs. They used the visual, chrome external pushrod look with the blacked out cylinder heads and sculpted polished end fins to pretty up the cylinder heads to emulate the old Harley look. At 113 CU IN, they succeeded!

Of note, when Yamaha came out with this motor, Honda decided to drop their 1800 engine platform for the 1300 platform. COINCIDENCE? hhhhhHHHHHMMMMMM! I haven't seen it hinted at anywhere else, but ....really?!
next: sound system.

Now then...to the Strat deluxe. I like baggers! I coulda' got a Stratoliner with bags and a windshield. Instead I went full deal...whole tamale. This baby does not sport your Goldwing like dash. It has what first looks like a batwing type fairing with two speakers mounted in it and a deep center "pocket". The pocket has two functions. One is your ignition/steering lock located in the pocket "tunnel" directly over the top of the steering stem, the other being the Garmin Zumo 665 LM located on the top of the "pocket" until you rotate it down into the pocket and activate it. The GPS has standard GPS fare wizardry plus extras. Sirius radio, bluetooth technology. plays media such as pictures, music,reads books to you, bluetooths your phone into and the sounds out to your say...bluetooth speakers in your helmet, all this hooked into your bikes soundsystem, which hooks to a mp3 player, a IPOD or a Iphone in addition to the Garmin, which plays micro SDs and also plays your incoming and outgoing calls over the sound system, besides knowing where you are, are going,  been and...drumroll...Time! Yes, the Garmin has a clock on it! There is a small glove friendly Volume/track/channel pad just by your high/low beam switch on the left side handlebar switches, by the hydraulic easy pull clutch lever. The sound system can be used w/wo the Garmin.

TheWatcher:
Good looking motor Snake

Glad it runs good.

:couch:

snake:
Next: the dash and Gas tank

The dash is a large part of the tanktop

The dash tells speed, idiot lights, fuel gauge! CLOCK!!! 2 tripmeters, light blue illum at night, fuel cap on the right side forward on the tank, where it ought to be. The tank only holds 4.5 gallons, but at 40 mpg, you are talkin' 140-150 mile fillups. Oh, it takes premium. There went the fuel savings! It does have a idiot light for low fuel also. Going back to the garmin, you can get it to tell you when you are low on fuel also.

matap:
When are we going to see actual photos of your bike Snake?!  Your killing us over here!!!!!!!

Rocket67:
Very nice.  I am not ready to trade the Harley in just yet but if they would have had that when I was shopping.....who knows. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version