Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ben Rethlinsberger / Rider Down / Pittsburg Steelers  (Read 6681 times)

cyberchick

• Old Timer
Re: Ben Rethlinsberger / Rider Down / Pittsburg Steelers
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »

Something Steve and I talked about today w/ regards to the helmets. It is infringing on our rights, however, it sucks that some of those that choose not to wear the helmets put a strain on MY pocketbook. Thousands and thousands of dollars of medical bills that can't be paid - so it falls to the taxpayers. So you know, that kind of makes me think I have the right to say what you should wear. So maybe - to NOT wear a helmet, someone should have to show proof of driver safety (such as MSF class), driver experience (2 years of experience w/ a bike), being over 21, AND proof of medical insurance or ability to pay.  :P
Well behaved women rarely make history

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 08:13:21 PM »

Something Steve and I talked about today w/ regards to the helmets. It is infringing on our rights, however, it sucks that some of those that choose not to wear the helmets put a strain on MY pocketbook. Thousands and thousands of dollars of medical bills that can't be paid - so it falls to the taxpayers. So you know, that kind of makes me think I have the right to say what you should wear. So maybe - to NOT wear a helmet, someone should have to show proof of driver safety (such as MSF class), driver experience (2 years of experience w/ a bike), being over 21, AND proof of medical insurance or ability to pay.  :P
Well in the state of texas the law states for you not wear a helmet u are required three things
1. you must take a rider saftey course and pass
2. You must have full coverage insurance and medical coverage of up to 50,000 dollars
3. You must be and organ donor
If you get pulled over and u can not prove any of those by a cop your motorcycle can be inpounded.
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »

Well in the state of texas the law states for you not wear a helmet u are required three things
2. You must have full coverage insurance and medical coverage of up to 50,000 dollars
If you get pulled over and u can not prove any of those by a cop your motorcycle can be inpounded.

I was told by my Instructor you can go to the DOT and get a sticker to put on your plate after showing proof of all the above.

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 08:22:34 PM »

yes that is true but u have to have all that before being able to ride with out a helmet with out and consequences

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »

[/quote]

pssst - sarcasm!  ;) My point really had to do more with helmet-less riders not being insured and it becoming a burden on taxpayers. Laws or not - people will still break them. and just how often have you been pulled over b/c you didn't have a helmet on - to check on you? Rarely if ever I'd wager. Laws or not, it doesn't matter. Proof of anything doesn't matter. People will do what they will do. Oh and $50K - since when does that cover a hospital bill? Steve's day surgery, all of 4 hours in the hospital, less than 1 hour surgery, and BAM $11K. That's not for anything else - that's the hospital bill. Then there's the anesthesia bill, the surgeon's bill, the physical therapy bill, etc etc. So that's a day surgery. Take a mo-mo accident that requires more than one day. More than 2 days. How much will that cost? So what if someone has proof of $50K of insurance? more than likely the bill will be more than that. And had they had the brain bucket on, would the injuries have been less, thus incurring a lower bill?

(PS - NOT advocating for helmet laws - idiots keep the hospital staff employed!  ;D )
Well behaved women rarely make history

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »

pssst - sarcasm!  ;) My point really had to do more with helmet-less riders not being insured and it becoming a burden on taxpayers. Laws or not - people will still break them. and just how often have you been pulled over b/c you didn't have a helmet on - to check on you? Rarely if ever I'd wager. Laws or not, it doesn't matter. Proof of anything doesn't matter. People will do what they will do. Oh and $50K - since when does that cover a hospital bill? Steve's day surgery, all of 4 hours in the hospital, less than 1 hour surgery, and BAM $11K. That's not for anything else - that's the hospital bill. Then there's the anesthesia bill, the surgeon's bill, the physical therapy bill, etc etc. So that's a day surgery. Take a mo-mo accident that requires more than one day. More than 2 days. How much will that cost? So what if someone has proof of $50K of insurance? more than likely the bill will be more than that. And had they had the brain bucket on, would the injuries have been less, thus incurring a lower bill?

(PS - NOT advocating for helmet laws - idiots keep the hospital staff employed!  ;D )
[/quote]Thats why I know I have job secruity
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal