Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ben Rethlinsberger / Rider Down / Pittsburg Steelers  (Read 6684 times)

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Ben Rethlinsberger / Rider Down / Pittsburg Steelers
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 12:24:55 AM »

No he wasn't speeding.

we don't know that. He was at least going fast enough to demolish the front end of his bike, including breaking the wheel into a couple pieces. didn't look like the chrysler got too awefully smashed, though.

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:22 AM »

A witness said Roethlisberger didn't appear to be speeding in the 35 mph zone, and Fleishman had slowed to make the turn. Both drivers had a green light  ???, the witness said.

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury, and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time.

Entire article:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_457685.html

"Buzz kill" from the same article;

Risky ride

Athletes and motorcycles can be a dangerous mix. Here is a list of incidents and injuries involving athletes and motorcycles - some severe, some minor - during the past few years:

-- Three months ago, Jerome Mathis of the Houston Texans, a Pro Bowl kick returner, sustained scrapes on his wrists and hands in a motorcycle dust-up. One message board poster on a Texans fan site noted that Mathis' injuries were minor and wrote, "At least he wears a helmet, unlike Ben Roethlisberger."

-- In January, former bodybuilder and current California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger cut his lip, requiring stitches, when his Harley Davidson smacked into a car on a residential street. Schwarzenegger later admitted he did not have a license to drive a motorcycle.

-- Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow missed the 2005 season while recovering from injuries to his right knee and shoulder. Winslow was learning to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot and hit a curb at about 35 mph. He was wearing a helmet, but it was unstrapped and flew off while he was in midair.

-- A month after winning the E1 Tour de Phoenix, cyclist David Young lost his left leg in a motorcycle crash. Fitted with a prosthetic, Young competed in the Tour de Tucson six months after his accident.

-- The day before the start of the 2004 Olympics, Greek sprinter Ekaterini Thanou missed her scheduled drug test because of what she said was a motorcycle accident. Thanou, who was uninjured, later was charged with making a false accident claim.

-- In April 2004, LaKisha Gentry of North Texas University died of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. Gentry was the Sun Belt Conference champion in the javelin.

-- On March 30, 2004, Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner flipped over the handlebars when his Harley Davidson collided with a moving car in Colorado Springs, Colo. Gardner, who suffered some scrapes on his left side, said his training as a wrestler helped him land safely and avoid serious injury.

-- Indy Racing League driver Dario Franchitti broke his back in a 2003 motorcycle accident and missed several races, including the Indianapolis 500.

-- Jay Williams, the second overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, has not played since he lost control of his red and black Yamaha sportbike and rammed a utility pole June 19, 2003. Williams severed a nerve in his leg, fractured his pelvis and tore three ligaments in his knee.

-- In 2002, San Francisco Giants second baseman Jeff Kent injured his wrist when he ran into a curb while popping wheelies. At first, Kent told team officials he was hurt while he was washing his truck.

-- Olympic champion skier Hermann Maier shattered his left leg in August 2001 when a car hit his motorcycle on a road in Austria. Maier had a titanium rod inserted in the leg and sat out the 2002 Games. But he made a dramatic comeback last year by winning two medals in Turin, Italy.

-- Major-league pitcher Steve Howe, who in 1997 was attempting a comeback at age 39 with the Sioux Falls Canaries of the independent Northern League, was critically injured in a crash and later charged with drunken driving. Those charges were later dropped after prosecutors decided his blood test was improperly obtained.

-- Former NHL tough guy Bob Probert, who played for the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks, sustained minor injuries in a motorcycle accident in 1994. Tests showed alcohol and cocaine in his system, and he was placed on inactive status for the 1994-95 season.

-- Mike Nyeholt, an All-American swimmer at USC, broke his neck and was paralyzed from the chest down when he crashed his dirt bike in January 1981.

-- Milwaukee Brewers shortstop Robin Yount injured his foot when he drove his dirt bike off a cliff a few days before the start of spring training in 1978. Yount began the season on the disabled list, enabling rookie Paul Molitor to take over at shortshop.

-- Daredevil Evel Knievel went into partial retirement after a failed attempt to jump a tank full of sharks in late 1976. In the crash, Knievel suffered a concussion and two broken arms, and a television cameraman lost an eye.

- Compiled by Rob Biertempfel, AP

YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:58:54 AM »

A witness said Roethlisberger didn't appear to be speeding in the 35 mph zone,

ok, I take it back.

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 09:36:56 AM »

A witness said Roethlisberger didn't appear to be speeding in the 35 mph zone,

ok, I take it back.

No need to "take it back" unless you write such things down to keep track of them. The witness may have been a huge Steeler fan and felt some desire to cover for Rothlisberger after she found out who he was or may have just been mistaken. How well can the average person waiting at a bus stop gage the speed of a motorcycle with no prior expectation that there is going to be a reason to need to.

People on Hayabusa's aren't drawn to purchase them with going the speed limit at all times, in mind. It's hard for me to believe that he was going 35 too.  That bike idles at 35.

It seems that cautious "speed limit" types would not buy the bike in the first place and would have a helmet on if they did.....but who knows.

The moral of the story is that if you are approaching an interesection you are in, statistically the most dangerous place a biker can be :o. If there is a car turning left across your lane, your odds got worse :o :o, and if the driver is some sixty-year plus woman (probably on a cell phone), your odds dropped way down and you are in real danger :o :o :o...and if you are not wearing a helmet at that moment.....you may wish you had. O0

Be wary at intersections...wear a helmet. 8)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:00:43 AM by VT-XS »

GATOR

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »

From: "Mercylink" <MERCYLINK@mercy.pmhs.org>  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert 
To: "'WYLIE BULLARD'" <wyliebullard@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Ben Roethlisberger / God Speed getting well
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:20:30 -0400

Dear Mr. Bullard,
Thank you for your concern for Ben Roethlisberger. Your get-well message will be forwarded to Ben and his family.

Sincerely,

Barb Philage, RN

Pittsburgh Mercy Health System
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 5:04 PM
To: mercylink@mercy.pmhs.org
Subject: Ben Roethlisberger / God Speed getting well

I also had a motorcycle accident 12/31/2005 10.30 am and was transported in by Careflite Helicopter Ft Worth, TX. and I also never went unconscious. Hit a steel guardrail when my bike front tire slid on gravel and hit it with my right leg, broke my leg above my ankle and the bones came through the skin, fractured my left foot also, broke my right index finger, cut my chin to the bone, cut my lip also, but Thank God I did have my helment on because it cut into it badly, so if you ride again please be "Cool "not a "Fool " wear your helment, be safe ride your own ride." I would like to extend a God Speed Recovery to you and your family from TexasXRiders www.texasxriders.com  ( Gator ) I have a Titaniun plate and rod in the bones of my leg and will never be the same, but I thank God I made it through to send send my thoughts for a speedy recovery to all the brothers and sisters that have fallen. Regards Wylie

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 09:51:27 AM »

Wrom: KVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBO
To: "'WYLIE BULLARD'" <wyliebullard@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Ben Roethlisberger / God Speed getting well
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:20:30 -0400

Dear Mr. Bullard,
Thank you for your concern for Ben Roethlisberger. Your get-well message will be forwarded to Ben and his family.

Sincerely,

Barb Philage, RN

Pittsburgh Mercy Health System
-----Original Message-----
Wrom: HMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFX
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 5:04 PM
To: mercylink@mercy.pmhs.org
Subject: Ben Roethlisberger / God Speed getting well

I also had a motorcycle accident 12/31/2005 10.30 am and was transported in by Careflite Helicopter Ft Worth, TX. and I also never went unconscious. Hit a steel guardrail when my bike front tire slid on gravel and hit it with my right leg, broke my leg above my ankle and the bones came through the skin, fractured my left foot also, broke my right index finger, cut my chin to the bone, cut my lip also, but Thank God I did have my helment on because it cut into it badly, so if you ride again please be "Cool "not a "Fool " wear your helment, be safe ride your own ride." I would like to extend a God Speed Recovery to you and your family from TexasXRiders www.texasxriders.com  ( Gator ) I have a Titaniun plate and rod in the bones of my leg and will never be the same, but I thank God I made it through to send send my thoughts for a speedy recovery to all the brothers and sisters that have fallen. Regards Wylie

Nice note.

texasmetalwerks

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »

35 mph is fast enough to cause major injuries. Try running straight into the side of your house at 5 mph and see how that feels. ;) My guess is it would kinda hurt.  ;D
Bryan   .5%er
2004 VTX 1300C Black w/ some cool stuff and go fast goodies.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

Here's a good way to talk people into wearing gear.....

Go to local high school

Go to track

Begin running on track

Run faster

Faster

Now ......

Fall down.

See that? See how that feels? now double it.

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider

GATOR

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 09:38:59 AM »

Ride a motorcyle without a helment  ;) Try playing professional football without a helment  O0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:40:42 AM by GATOR »

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »

Couple things...

1)  I'm a lifelong Steelers fan (living in Dallas).  AND I'm a big fan of Ben Roethlisberger.

2)  Ben is an IDIOT for riding without a helmet.

3)  No he had no such clauses in his contract.  Even his agent admits that is not likely to be the case for his NEXT contract.

4)  HOW can a helmet hurt you? I've heard this over and over for years from non-helmet fanatics.  I say if you hit the ground so hard in such a way that a helmet breaks your neck, you'd have crushed your scull ANYWAY.  Just my supposition, I admit.

5)  Ben didn't BUY the Suzuki.  It was given to him as part of a promotion.  He's a Harley guy.  Thus proving that Harleys and Suzukis are bad for you.  He'd be fine if it was a smart VTX guy!   :D
My now long gone VTX...

texasmetalwerks

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 11:33:02 AM »

Actually the Steelers front office sent him and his agent a letter warning of the salary implecations he could face if he were involved in a serious motorcycle accident. I read that on ESPN.com

Sorry to hear your a Steeler fan though  ;)

Couple things...

1)  I'm a lifelong Steelers fan (living in Dallas).  AND I'm a big fan of Ben Roethlisberger.

2)  Ben is an IDIOT for riding without a helmet.

3)  No he had no such clauses in his contract.  Even his agent admits that is not likely to be the case for his NEXT contract.

4)  HOW can a helmet hurt you? I've heard this over and over for years from non-helmet fanatics.  I say if you hit the ground so hard in such a way that a helmet breaks your neck, you'd have crushed your scull ANYWAY.  Just my supposition, I admit.

5)  Ben didn't BUY the Suzuki.  It was given to him as part of a promotion.  He's a Harley guy.  Thus proving that Harleys and Suzukis are bad for you.  He'd be fine if it was a smart VTX guy!   :D
Bryan   .5%er
2004 VTX 1300C Black w/ some cool stuff and go fast goodies.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 02:53:25 PM »

Well im not  steelers fan but i thought he did a good job at the superbowl liek i said i try to always wear my helmet i wear a snell and dot certafied helmet. as for gear i highly recomend it cause trust me there is nothing more nasty then trying to peal back skin into place after it was pealed off like a banana
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

forevrtxan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • (Leander) Austin, Texas
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:33:40 PM »

Nice article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16785173&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512551&rfi=6)
There is always going to be a debate about wearing a helmet. Truth is, the US government is continually passing laws that take away our freedoms that we take for granted. I wear a helmet for safety, but I think you should have the choice whether or not you want to (as long as you are 21 yrs old or older). I personally think they should ban talking on a cell phone if you are driving (unless it is an emergency of some kind), but then again, taking away some of our freedoms. Just my .02 cents.
David

'05 1800R2 (with sidestand down)

Old enuff to know better....but young enuff to still do it!!!!!!

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway~~John Wayne

All the way up in there!!!! (Quote from VTreX at BBTIII)

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »

Nice article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16785173&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512551&rfi=6)
There is always going to be a debate about wearing a helmet. Truth is, the US government is continually passing laws that take away our freedoms that we take for granted. I wear a helmet for safety, but I think you should have the choice whether or not you want to (as long as you are 21 yrs old or older). I personally think they should ban talking on a cell phone if you are driving (unless it is an emergency of some kind), but then again, taking away some of our freedoms. Just my .02 cents.
I have to agree with yo on that If you are an adult you are ol enough to make your own discions. my big thing is the people that know whats going to happen or could happen do it get hurt and then complian about it. every rider knows that it is not that safe out there with all the idiots on the road. And like i said a person makes his or her choice about the gear we are all adults and we make our choices.
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal