Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New email about the LSR  (Read 72541 times)

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
New email about the LSR
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

Just got this email....

Quote from: Jessica Werlinger
Dear Friends!
I’d bet you have been waiting to hear from us!  First, let me tell everyone effected that our hearts and prayers are with you and the Lone Star Rally will not sit idle.  We are prepared to help!  We too lost our   offices and are working under combat like conditions.  We apologize for being difficult to get ahold of.
The good news is that the City has asked us to remain in Galveston and to keep the dates the same. So, The Lone Star Rally will happen in Galveston Oct 30th thru Nov 2!  Everything will remain the same only better.  We are now officially the Rally to Rebuild!  We encourage everyone to come and help rebuild the Galveston economy.  Yes, hotels are going to be  a little hard to find. Keep watching our website as we will add lodging daily.
LSR will create special logos that can be added to your shirts for a donation to the fund, provide donation centers, a telethon and more, all to help our effected community.  Our vendors will serve as trick or treat stations for the kids with candy, etc.
For more details join us at San Jacinto Harley Davidson this week for our second LSR Preview Party.  Everyone knows that San Jacinto throws great parties and we could all use one!  Plase join us ther this Saturday beginning at 12noon for all of the festivities, parkiing pass sales, Beach boys tickets and much more! 
Let’s show the world how much bikers care and show up in droves to Galveston this year.  Jean Lafitte founded Galveston and he will return with his two wheeled pirates to rebuild!
Please watch our website for lodging opportunities.  Please be patient with the hotels as they are all  trying hard to get back online.  Please do not call our offices unless it is absolutely necessary.  We are swamped getting re-ready and are operating with limited capacity. Thanks for understanding!  You can help further by emailing this to all of your friends to help us get the word out that all is well and happening!
See you at the Rally!
Ron

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

justin69

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "NO PAIN, NO STAIN!!!" Ft. worth
    • http://myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider
Re: New email about the LSR
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »

lets hope it's for sure this time. I'm there hotel or not ;-)

OCIFFER, I SweAr To DRunK I'M NoT GoD!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider

TEXASLONGHORN4EVER

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »

I will be there as well!

Hook"em Horns

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:25:15 AM »

I'm glad to hear that. I was real dissapointed when I saw how bad Galveston was. I'm definetly going to be there.  Anyone riding in saturday morning around 7 a.m.?
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/stoGalveston officials warn returning residents of island's condition
By CAROLYN FEIBEL
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Sept. 23, 2008, 10:22PM
Share  Print Email Del.icio.usDiggTechnoratiYahoo! Buzz
Resources

Eric Kayne: Chronicle
GALVESTON
Where's the power on in Galveston? Staff updates: Search Galveston Galveston and Bay Area resources Satellite photos: After Ike hit Gallery: Galveston's historical churches begin cleaning up Gallery: Galveston begins recovery Gallery: Looking but forced to leave Gallery: Ike blasts Galveston, Houston Gallery: Ike's wrath in Galveston Gallery: Dramatic rescues at water's edge Galveston County school openings Updates from area schools Ike renews debate over coastal development Can you open your home for a while? How to ease the stress on your pet Forums: Have you been home yet? What else is on your mind in Galveston County? Complete coverage of Hurricane Ike HURRICANE AID
FEMA aid: How does it work? FEMA rumor: Do they give you $ for being 5 days without power? Chat transcript: FEMA official answers Qs Hurricane recovery distribution centers (PODs) Staff blog: Check for updates Answers Blog: Search for FEMA Do you qualify for food stamps now? Frequently Asked Questions Phone numbers: Get help or volunteer Apply for FEMA aid here Inscribase para solicitar asistencia Register with FEMA Complete coverage of Hurricane Ike   Video: Ike's aftermath See Houston's recovery from the devastating hurricane. 
GALVESTON — City officials will reluctantly welcome back residents today, while warning them the city remains a dangerous, fetid environment fit only for the able-bodied and the mentally prepared.

"It's not going to be the same Galveston Island it was," said councilman Danny Weber. "It's as safe as we can make it at this time. The rest is up to you as individuals."

Officials said returning residents should prepare to be utterly self-reliant, bringing their own food, water and gasoline. They described the opposite of a sentimental journey: residents will encounter mosquitoes, rats and snakes. Traffic could be chaotic and backed up for hours on I-45 and water will not be drinkable for months.

"We do want to caution folks," said FEMA spokesman Marty Bahamonde. "There will be some struggles."

Residents of the eastern urban core may come to stay but realistically should be prepared to make assessments and leave again, said City Manager Steve LeBlanc. An estimated 75 percent of homes will be uninhabitable and no shelters are provided on the island, officials said. West End residents are still under a "look and leave" policy.

Getting back power and gas will be a long and competitive process. Although CenterPoint is just days away from finishing its repairs, that doesn't mean customers will have power. Individuals must hire a licensed electrician to inspect their homes and then have a city electrical worker inspect and issue a permit.

Gas service requires a similar process: Residents must hire a private licensed plumber to inspect, then call a city plumbing inspector to visit. Texas Gas may also have to replace an estimated 17,000 gas meters that were submerged.

The city has three electrical inspectors and two plumbing inspectors, so residents should be prepared to wait. "It's going to be a bottleneck," said LeBlanc. He said he has asked the state to send more inspectors.

Residents should not try to activate gas or electric power before completing the entire inspection process. The result could be a gas explosion or fire, and with limited water supplies, firefighting abilities are weak.

CenterPoint officials said four of six substations are working again. Overall, the island's power grid has been 60 percent restored, although most customers will need to do individual fixes and inspections to actually turn on lights.

To the east side of 61st Street, the distribution networks will be 90 percent fixed by today, said Kenny Mercado, a division senior vice president. For the West End, CenterPoint expects 75 percent will be fixed by the end of the week.

LeBlanc urged residents to delay their return if possible, and Police Chief Charles Wiley said traffic will be "bad" today.

Residents should also get tetanus shots and rat bait before arriving at the island.

Bolivar residents may be able to come to the peninsula for a "look and leave" visit as soon as Friday.

The expected plan will focus on areas west of Rollover Pass. Residents must enter by the bridge at Gilchrist and will have residency status checked. The ferry will not be operating normally for three to six months.

Galveston County Judge James Yarbrough said the hours for "look and leave" will probably be from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., with the last hour for entering the island to be 2 p.m.

Chronicle reporter Dale Lezon contributed to this story.

carolyn.feibel@chron.com
ry.mpl/metropolitan/6018142.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:11:18 PM by hipshot »
02 1800C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:01 AM »

Things are still moving a little slow in Galveston. But the LSR and Dickens on the Strand are still ON!

Today's (10/01/2008) story in the Galveston Press.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=643ab290467597b3
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

matap

• Board
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »

O0 I can't imagine that they wouldn't go on with it.  The LSR brings so much money to Galveston it woud be a grave error not to.  Besides were are 500,000 bikers going to go to harrass the locals.  :o

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »

Long before the hurricane, and for reasons unrelated to the hurricane, Marigold and I agreed that we are going to sit this one out. I have no LSR agenda, and I am posting this only as a 'public service', for lack of a better term.

The island, along with its businesses and residences (and my old faithful pickup, sniffle, [bugle Taps]), took a MAJOR hit during the recent inclement weather event. The island needs a major influx of funds to recuperate. They also need time and a lot of cooperative interaction between the local government, the utility providers, and the various entities that will provide the labor and equipment to rebuild what has taken well over a century to establish.

I am skeptical of the claims that the LSR will take place as originally planned. I realize that the islanders need to have a positive attitude. I also realize that the island's economy desperately needs a financial, as well as public relations, boost to expedite (or just to facilitate) its recovery. Tourism is a major industry on Galveston Island.

My impression, from what I have read and heard - and I know some of the cops down there working right now - is that a month from now the island's capacity to host such an event will be woefully inadequate. I hope I am wrong. Again, I have no agenda here, and I am certainly not trying to torpedo anyone's efforts to help the island recover. I just don't want to see anyone go down there expecting to see the customary amenities available. I believe that the hotel/motel, restaurant, and entertainment trades will be significantly impacted -- sufficiently so to place accomodations and dining in much higher demand than many of you anticipate. Most of the beach houses that were reserved for the LSR are destroyed or significantly damaged. The owners of the damaged beach houses may be dependant on timely insurance settlements and repairs, and those things may well be pending a month from now - leaving the prospective renters hung out.

If you plan to attend the rally with the intention of aiding the island's recovery, I applaud your intent. I just want to warn the folks who are unfamiliar with the devastation that a hurricane can cause to a low-lying small island that the rally - if indeed it is held - will not be up to the standards of the previous LSRs. I fear that many who read the messages that the LSR is still on will be subjecting themselves to severe shock if they attend this year. I just don't want to see that happen. Again, I hope I am wrong, because I certainly don't want to demean the Herculean efforts of the islanders to recover from the recent tragedy, and I certainly don't want to detract from their recovery efforts. At the same time, I don't feel that the motorcycling community owes a debt to Galveston for hosting the rally, and I don't want to see the islanders deprived of income or the motorcycling community misled into believing that the island will have recovered from the storm a month from now. Please consider the ramifications of attending this year's LSR. If you opt to attend with an open mind, cognizant of the devastation caused by the hurricane, you will probably have a positive experience. If you go in blind, expecting the amenities that were available in past years, you may well be sorely disappointed. Please consider the situation before you commit, and feel free to berate me with "I told you so"s if I am wrong - this is one time I fervently hope I am wrong, and the "I told you so"s will be welcome. I wish the Galvestonians (as well as all of the other victims of the big blow job) nothing but the best of wishes.
02 1800C

RedDragon

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »

I was there Tuesday and man is it a mess!  :o It will definitely not be anywhere near what it has been! :'(

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:55:55 PM »

be part of the recovery. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STAY THE NIGHT.

The Spot and many other restaraunts are open and are welcoming everyone that comes to the island. YES, the island took a major hit but and the LSR will not be the same as in years past but are doing many things to help in the recovery.

If you don't want to go that is your choice but you can give. There will be a telethon on Saturday the weekend of the really. Hope o see all of you there no matter if it''s only for 5 minutes.

Let the recovery begin  O0 O0 O0 O0
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

matap

• Board
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:30:43 AM »

:D I'll be riding with exodus to Galveston.  Count me in.  O0

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »

I will be going for sure Saturday morning and anyone want to ride in will join up with yall and meet anyplace around town.In Alvin for a few more months
Alvin,Texas

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 05:56:37 AM »

I'll like to join in for the Saturday ride, pick a meeting place and time 8)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal