Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Parking on the sidewalk  (Read 4720 times)

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
Re: Parking on the sidewalk
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 06:57:28 AM »

Before I get flamed, I'm not against a HC persons having up front easy access and parking. I do have a problem with folks who get the placard and can get around better than me.

Dusty, I can certainly understand where you're coming from, because I was right there with you.  Then my wife came down
with Fibromyalgia, a connective tissue disorder where your white blood cells can't tell the difference between good cells and
bad cells in the body so they attack them all, concentrating on your joints mainly.  It comes with chronic fatigue syndrom and
feels like a bad case of rheumatoid arthritis.  Similar to Lupus. The more she walks in a day, the more it hurts at the end of the
day.  So most of the time it looks like she walks just fine, but she's trying to limit how much.  I've had a few scrapes in the
parking lot about it.  I try not to get upset with people because they just don't know.  Those placards are issued only with
Doctor's orders and you must renew with Doctors orders when they expire.  Not saying some folks don't abuse, of course they
do, but it's not always what you see that is the real story.  Also keeps her from any lengthy rides with me...  :( :(

Ride Safe.

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 07:29:24 AM »

All the posted points are good ones, and basicly it depends on how much the ADA "police", and local law enforcement enforce the laws.

I think a simpler solution would be to take 2-3 spaces next to the handicap spaces, and stripe them square for motorcycles. You can put 4-5 bikes in the same space as 2 cars. Have a sign that says "motorcycles only", and if they're full you have to find a regular space.

With more and more people riding 2 wheels, state and local Architectural Boards should start factoring this in. That would solve some of the problems.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Dusty

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »

RSWHITE Wrote:

"Dusty, I can certainly understand where you're coming from, because I was right there with you.  Then my wife came down with Fibromyalgia."

Robert,

My heart goes out to your wife and you too, cause I know you don't like seeing her suffer. I saw a special about Fibromyalgia a while back. I forget a lot, but I remember that name. Very painful disease.
I hope she gets relief from it soon.
Thanks for pulling my cranium from my anal orfice. I'll start giving them the benefit of a doubt.  ;)  O0

Dusty

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Dusty...  She takes several meds that slow the
progress and manage the pain, but I'm afraid it's a life-time issue.

RW

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 06:27:47 AM »

If you park on the sidewalk, you invite jerks.  If you park in regular spaces, you invite idiots.  There are a lot of idiots and a lot of jerks, so it's really just a personal preference as to which wheel you want to spin.  :)
My now long gone VTX...

Silver Bullet

• Tejano
  • Humble, TX
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »

Most parking lots also have some striped end caps that are not handicap spaces or even next to handicap spaces. This is were I try to park. Keeps the bike out in front for all to see. I figure helps prevent somebody from messing around with the VTX because so visible to everybody.
2006 VTX1300S

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »

I have to admit I usually park in those striped spaces whenever I can, even some that are right next to handicap spaces.  But I always park as far away from the HC space as I can to give plenty of room for wheelchair access, etc.  Of course, I've never gotten a ticket so far, and I've never really thought about it until reading this thread.  If I do have to park in a space, I always back in and then pull the front of the bike up to the very end of the space so it can be seen better.
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal