Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dropped it!  (Read 4770 times)

Militman

• Old Timer
  • "Ride hard or get out of my way!"
Re: Dropped it!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »

Man you do have bad luck with that bike. Glad your friend was ok though.

That is why I make sure that my friends have every intent on paying damages back. I dont mind letting them take it for a ride but my butt being in the army dont have the money to fix it everytime someone drops it. I'll be damned if I ride with scratches from someone else also. Not trying to be mean to my friends but they understand and do the same. O0 O0

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »

Last summer a buddy of mine wanted to buy a bike.  He'd ridden a few years back, but wasn't licensed.  I went with him, we looked at a used bike, I took it for a test ride, he bought it, and I rode it back to his place.  Test ride - no issues.  He bought it, and it was HIS as I rode it to his place..most nervous I've been on a bike since the 80s.  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »

Guess I have a take on this. 1st no one throws a leg over my bike until,I am sure they can handle it. 2nd how far am I from home? 3rd why do they want to ride my bike? The Iron Mistress is only a bit of steel and some other parts that make a bike into a thing some of us can't live without. I weigh the risk, make the call, and stand ready to deal with what ever happens.
I have let other people ride my bike, at home, and even at rallies far from home. Its my bike, I make the call, Yes or No, I have high standards. They increase with distance.
I have had friends jump on other bikes I have owned,without my permission, and go crash. I paid fines for allowing unauthorised operation of a vehicle because I refused to press charges for grand theft auto. I had a wrecked bike and a fine 100mi from home. I keep the key now.
My bike, My friend, My choice, Choose wisely Grass Hopper, I have paid the price for a decision I never got to make. Take the key!!!. If you make the call to let another ride your bike, Be a man about it, it's your bike, you made the call, deal with it. None of this, my best friend wrecked my bike, and won't cough up the money to fix it /bS/. If he didn't steal it, You didn't press charges, It's all on you.  A hand shake is only worth the hand that you are shaking. Your call. Even if you shook hands. It boils down to being a real Texan, deal straight, never shake the hand of a man you don't trust, and if it goes bad warn others, but take the loss, and grow.                   

VTX DUST

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »

First let me say.....that's tough......and unlucky.   Letting someone ride your bike is a matter of discretion.  If I were to drop someone's bike I would most certainly feel obligated to step up and repair the damage.  I feel if you ride someone else's bike it's at your own risk......if you can't repair the bike should it be damaged, you should have taken personal responsibility by not riding it.

A good friend has a Big Bear Sled he has offered to let me ride on at least 3 occasions.......I can't afford to repair a bike like that and subsequently have declined each time.

youngblood

• Tejano
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »

I got my first street bike when I was 16 years old. It was a 1980 Yamaha 650 Maxima II. I loved that bike. I let a good friend ride it one day. I watched him rideaway. I also watched my uncles dog run out in front of him and watched how he rode it on its side down the rode. When I got to him all he kept saying is "That D@#! Dog". Once he was on his feet he said "See you later". I was cruched, I sucked it up and pushed the bike home. It was a long push. I still to this day havent told my Dad what really happened to that bike. Heck he thinks its still in my garage.

Moral of this story is I have learned my lesson with friends. No more go ahead and ride. Now its if you want to ride it I will take you to Honda Of Houston where you can get your own. Oh you cant afford a new one then you cant ride this one.

Good Luck.
2006 1800 F2 for now
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal