Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Helmet question  (Read 6362 times)

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
Re: Helmet question
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »

I' m not trying to change this thread but if y'all could chime about wind noise that would also be helpful. I wear a HJC sy-max3, it's a modular helmet and VERY noisy, vents open or closed.

Modulars are always going to be more noisy, and HJC is better known for low price, not for being quiet. And I'm not a hater, my modular is an HJC. I was in Cycle Gear a few weeks back with a neighbor, who was buying new gear after getting back on a bike again. The sales guy showed me a nice Shoei Modular, but I wasn't in the market, and sure as hell not for $750. Last week I bought some Eargasm ear plugs, and can't wait to try them out. Supposedly, they work great at just filtering out the noise that is harmful, not all.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »

I' m not trying to change this thread but if y'all could chime about wind noise that would also be helpful. I wear a HJC sy-max3, it's a modular helmet and VERY noisy, vents open or closed.

I wear regular ear plugs.  I just bought a half helmet (Daytona Eagle) which is non DOT but is built for protection, just not as thick as the DOT versions.  I will have it at BBT. 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »

when considering a helmet, you might want check this out. Half shells might make you feel good but are next to useless in a crash.  https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+helmet+statistics&rlz=1C1VFKB_enUS618US618&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=ZIHKXDhtlJADIM%253A%253BECn8aH2MMW-hoM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.mlive.com%25252Fnews%25252Findex.ssf%25252F2012%25252F12%25252Fmlive_special_report_see_what.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ZIHKXDhtlJADIM%253A%252CECn8aH2MMW-hoM%252C_&usg=__4OAPYLjZn3-ffjU__aiu90m02gw%3D&biw=1707&bih=827&ved=0ahUKEwj95euW8urSAhUCs1QKHSurDlIQyjcIfg&ei=ltbSWP3CIoLm0gKr1rqQBQ#imgdii=wzJnotOLN3hBYM:&imgrc=2olpjVoARoqujM:

I had a buddy that did an endo on his bike, was thrown almost 50 yards and landed head first.  He was knocked out for a few minutes but lived, without the helmet that probably would not have happened.  His was one of those really thin helmets, only padding and no foam (or Styrofoam) in it at all.  Anything is better than NO helmet.  I got mine for those days when I want to go no helmet, it will be better than a baseball cap I guarantee. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »

and I can show you 3 helmets that are scarred from the forehead to the chinbar, mine included. Just saying look at the stats when considering a helmet. 70% of the time first impact is to the face .Half shells are better than nothing but barely. Wear what you want or not at all. Makes no difference to me.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 06:20:14 AM »

and I can show you 3 helmets that are scarred from the forehead to the chinbar, mine included. Just saying look at the stats when considering a helmet. 70% of the time first impact is to the face .Half shells are better than nothing but barely. Wear what you want or not at all. Makes no difference to me.

I have two full helmets and it's what I normally ride.  There is risk in wearing no helmet and there is risk wearing novelty helmets.  But then again, there is risk riding a motorcycle so to be totally safe you should wear your full helmet, padded jacket, Icon gloves, armor pants with a cup, Alpinestars boots and drive a mini-van.   :boxing: :stickpoke: :popcorn:

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 07:46:49 AM »

Pretty much what I wear when I ride sans the mini van. Only you know what your head and hide is worth to you. Like the saying goes, " There are those that have gone down and those that will go down." Dress for the slide as well as the ride.
It's all just part of the adventure!
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal