Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helmet question  (Read 6377 times)

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
Helmet question
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

I have been looking for a helmet for a while now, and cannot seem to find any that are DOT approved and not as big as a basketball.  Are there any websites that have good looking helmets that are DOT approved as well?  Also, what is the general concensus about full face helmets on a cruiser?  I was looking at a minimal graphic flat black one.
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
Re: Helmet question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:45:48 PM »

You are in Texas! Black may be the fastest color, (HA) but it is for sure the HOTTEST!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Claw

• Old Timer
  • Baytown
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »

I don't know where you live. but if its the Houston area, Discount Motorcycle Tire on Shaver in Pasadena has a large selection. Tell them you want to look in their warehouse. Cash is King!
03 1800C
05 GL1800

BrunoK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »

I used to look for looks, small and cheap when shopping for helmets.  Here in Houston I figured they would be too hot to wear most of the time anyway.

After several arguments with a riding buddy I borrowed his helmet on a 100 degree afternoon ride,  and that convinced to give up on the skid lids and cheapies.

I now own and really like the HJC AC-2.  It is a cop style helmet with real good ventilation.  It is on the big side but on a hot day with the vents it is cooler in the helmet than with a ball cap on.  The only doen side is at speeds over 70 mph it can get some helmet buffetting, at least it did for me.

I had a wreck lasy year and got 12 stitches in my chin, since then I went full face.  The Shoi X-11.  I was really suprised how comfortable it is (after about 3-4 rides breakin time).  No buffeting at any speed and very well.  Above 40 mph and I actually feel a breeze inside the helmet.  It is kind of expensive 

Those are my thoughts.  I hope you find them helpful.

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »

I do live in the houston area, and heat is definitely an issue.  Thanks for the info on the warehouse.  I will have to stop by and see how good the "deals" are.  Safety is always #1, but looks and comfort should be up there.  I think this is one of the most discussed topics.
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:52 PM »

I have two helmets, one is a full faced helmet black Shoei helmet, which I use in winter and a have a chrome THH half helmet (beanie) check them out

Shoei - http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/helmets_road.aspx?h=2
THH - http://www.thh-helmet.com/t69_chrome.html
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »

I have a full face helmet and it gets hot in the summer. My next helmet will be a flip face, most of them are dot approved but not snell approved.

Here is a link you might find interesting

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/bmw-bike/beginner/helmets.html

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

SiC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »

I have been looking for a helmet for a while now, and cannot seem to find any that are DOT approved and not as big as a basketball.  Are there any websites that have good looking helmets that are DOT approved as well?  Also, what is the general concensus about full face helmets on a cruiser?  I was looking at a minimal graphic flat black one.

Check www.daytonahelmets.com  They have whats considered the smallest DOT 1/2 helmet and 3/4 helmets. There just a hair thinner than the Skid Lid and HCI helmets. Both of those are nice helmet as well. I'm a Daytona  dealer so if you find one of the Daytona's you like just let me know and i can tell you the price, it will be lower than their website.

SiC
I had 1 Billion Posts on the old site.......

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:47:50 PM »

Z1R helmets. Highest rated in very in-depth study in Motorcyclist last year, and very reasonable in price. I have a full face and a half helmet version, and the red matches my bike perfectly...

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=891

Good deals at Dennis Kirk, if you want to buy on-line.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

cantex

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »

check out cycle leathers in katy on Mason road.
John sells carbon fiber helmets for $120. very lightweight. and you wont feel liek a mushroom head.
www.texascycleleathers.com
what a long strange trip it's been

RedKnight

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »

I've had a Scorpion full face helmet for about a year now and love it.  It was reasonably priced under $150 and appears to be of very high quality. It also has great venting. Some of the local Houston Honda dealers carry them.  Good luck!

SiC

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »

check out cycle leathers in katy on Mason road.
John sells carbon fiber helmets for $120. very lightweight. and you wont feel liek a mushroom head.
www.texascycleleathers.com

Unless there is another helmet they carry, the one on their website is a novelty.....and about 35 bucks too high :-\

SiC
I had 1 Billion Posts on the old site.......

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 10:58:06 PM »

I've also got a shoei x-11. it's BREEZY, but $$$ Helmetharbor.com has the best price I could find. Call jeff over there and ask for the price. he's cool and has about a zillion helmets. Try on the different brands to figure out your size and then get it from him. That place in Pasadena might be able to come close on price, but helmetharbor moves a lot of volume..... check those out. the scorpions have been rated very well, as have the KBCs. check out webbikeworld.com for a TON of reviews on helmets and just about everything else.

ChipsMayhem

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 03:03:29 AM »

I have a VEGA Summit fip up helmet, I really like it but the wire connecting the button to the clips broke :( so I am going to get a better flip up.. I like being able to flip it up when the traffic gets real heavy and I am going 10 to 15 MPH down 45 south..
2003 1800C Candy Red VTX. Cool X Air Box, Custom luggage rack & back rest, Paladin Highway Bars, Memphis Fats Windscreen, Progressive fork springs, Kuryakyn grips, AMA member, MRF member, Patriot Guard member, Nellie Rose is her name.. VTX on a budget!!!

paffap

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

I' m not trying to change this thread but if y'all could chime about wind noise that would also be helpful. I wear a HJC sy-max3, it's a modular helmet and VERY noisy, vents open or closed.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal