Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spindletop Museum and Willy Burger! TBL#3 Redo  (Read 2555 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Spindletop Museum and Willy Burger! TBL#3 Redo
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »

Saturday I am hosting a ride to Boomtown and Willy Burger.  Meetup is at the Shell Station on Loop 336 @ FM 105.  KSU @ 9:30 AM or sooner if all are accounted for.  If you haven't been to Willy Burger, thiers are absolutely the best I have ever had.  Boomtown is a really interesting museum and even has a live (water) well erupting on queue.  This is a pretty long round trip so if interested don't plan anything for early afternoon unless you want to haul butt down I-10 home.  I am taking 105 back. 

Here is the route up. 

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/lY9HinerX
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: Spindletop Museum and Willy Burger! TBL#3 Redo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:16:53 AM »

Part of the route will be going over the Rainbow Bridge which is an event.  Gumbo went down it on a bicycle when he was a kid...LOL. 

From Wikipedia:

Due to concerns by the upstream city of Beaumont about the bridge posing a threat to ship navigation, the Rainbow Bridge was built with a 680-foot (210 m) main span. In addition, it has a vertical clearance of 177 ft (54 m),[2] which was intended to allow what was at the time the tallest ship in the US Navy, USS Patoka, passage under the bridge (however, Patoka never did). However, the height of the bridge did allow the construction of jack up offshore drilling rigs at the Bethlehem Steel Beaumont Shipyard. With seventy-two (72) rigs built, the shipyard was one of the major sources of offshore rigs built in the United States.
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »

It must be me but I'm not all that impressed going over it.  I mean it's cool but it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to cross over like a lot of people make it out to be.  I'm more impressed with the Fred Hartman bridge and not because of it's height but the towering support beams is what impresses me the most.  Kind of like crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.   
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »

It must be me but I'm not all that impressed going over it.  I mean it's cool but it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to cross over like a lot of people make it out to be.  I'm more impressed with the Fred Hartman bridge and not because of it's height but the towering support beams is what impresses me the most.  Kind of like crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

Riding towards the Rainbow Bridge is certainly more intimidating that actually riding over it. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »

Sailing under the Rainbow Bridge is really intimidating. You see it for miles before finally going under it. All the while, dodging barges and tankers and avoiding the Coast Guard.  >:D

But in comparison, the Rainbow bridge has a clearance of 136 feet above normal high tide. The Fred Hartman bridge has a clearance of 175 feet. I haven't been under the Fred Hartman, tho.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »

Sailing under the Rainbow Bridge is really intimidating. You see it for miles before finally going under it. All the while, dodging barges and tankers and avoiding the Coast Guard.  >:D

But in comparison, the Rainbow bridge has a clearance of 136 feet above normal high tide. The Fred Hartman bridge has a clearance of 175 feet. I haven't been under the Fred Hartman, tho.

Been over the Fred Hartman a few times, lots of fun but those cables can put a bike rider into vertigo. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal