Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Size Shirts  (Read 369 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Odd Size Shirts
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »

I wear dress shirts with ties to work and occasionally out and I am having a hard time finding one that fits around my 18.5/19" neck that isn't made for a 44" waist.  Looking at most sizing charts, my neck should be a 16/16.5 which is not even close.  I have found some 18" at Macy's (Geoffrey Bean) which do not fit like circus tents but the neck is still too small. 

So the question is, does anyone know where I can get an 18.5/19" neck size that is slim cut for a 38" waist? 

I am pretty sure I need a MTM but am not interested in paying $200 per shirt, I am looking to get about 7 of said shirts so they need to be reasonable.  I have not been able to find a slim cut 19" in retail stores so am likely going to have to do bespoke. 

Anyone in the TXR group have experience in this area?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Odd Size Shirts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

I think a seamstress should fairly easy be able to take your shirt in.  Just get the shirt to fit around your neck and take to a cleaners were they do alterations.  a few years back I had some dress pants taken in and a few dress shirts and they looked pretty good.  Even for a rookie seamstress taking in should be a fairly easy process. 

Alternatively, Perry Ellis and Express sell men's shirts that come in a modern slim fit. So find your neck size and the rest should fall in place.    You could try them.  The shirts probably run around $40-$60. 

I would try Perry Ellis before Express. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

I think a seamstress should fairly easy be able to take your shirt in.  Just get the shirt to fit around your neck and take to a cleaners were they do alterations.  a few years back I had some dress pants taken in and a few dress shirts and they looked pretty good.  Even for a rookie seamstress taking in should be a fairly easy process. 

Alternatively, Perry Ellis and Express sell men's shirts that come in a modern slim fit. So find your neck size and the rest should fall in place.    You could try them.  The shirts probably run around $40-$60. 

I'll check but I have been looking for years and rarely come across a 19" much less in a slim fit.  As far as alterations, based on what I read, taking a shirt made for a 54" waist to a 38 does not work very well plus the arms are all messed up.  I want to look good bro.
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »

I'll check but I have been looking for years and rarely come across a 19" much less in a slim fit.  As far as alterations, based on what I read, taking a shirt made for a 54" waist to a 38 does not work very well plus the arms are all messed up.  I want to look good bro.

Truly hoping a shirt will make you look good bro!! ;)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

Truly hoping a shirt will make you look good bro!! ;)

The goal is to look professional.  I can get away with Geoffrey Bean 18" slim cut shirts with the top button undone as long as the tie is thick enough.  Those shirts have the second button pretty high so when I put the tie on it closes the gap pretty well and the width of the tie hides the rest.  I am good to go with those and could just go for a button extender but would like to get some that I can actually button.  It's a work thing so trying to be comfortable but still look decent. 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:36 AM »

Second Paul's comment....we have a seamstress in our town that we were referred to...my son who has taken a few of his shirts to her to be altered...and she did it relatively easily and it didn't cost much.  If you can find a shirt in that neck size...try it on one...then if you like the fit..do more.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

Second Paul's comment....we have a seamstress in our town that we were referred to...my son who has taken a few of his shirts to her to be altered...and she did it relatively easily and it didn't cost much.  If you can find a shirt in that neck size...try it on one...then if you like the fit..do more.

I need to find a seamstress I suppose.  I already have some baloonie shirts I can sacrifice if they turn out like Cranberries. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »

Have you tried MTailor App uses you phone to measure you, just a thought 8)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal