Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wireless Headset with Goldwing  (Read 1390 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Wireless Headset with Goldwing
« on: May 15, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »

I recently have had to figure out how to get my wireless headset to work with a radio made to only connect via wired connection.  For Harley, there is a way to get wireless to work but you have to buy the WHIM (wireless headset integration module) and have Harley flash your radio for it to work.  This cost about $400-500 of course.  Once you get that installed...if you use a non-Harley branded headset you don't get full functionality of your headset including STEREO. 

There is a way around that.  Sena makes something called a Freewire that is made for the Goldwing and the Harley.  I have to add the DIN plug for mine but I believe that the Goldwing comes with one.  So, for what it's worth, I will be installing on mine this week and will let the board know how it works.  Reviews have been really good.  I am looking forward to interacting with my robust GTS Navigation system without having to play by Harley rules. 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Wireless Headset with Goldwing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »

I read and has been confirmed that you can have them flash the boom box GTS to say it has the WHIM installed so that when you plug in your cell phone via the usb cable you can use all Carplay app functionality (google maps, waze, open table, etc, etc) except anything talking. 

I am going to do that, which is all I really care about.  I don't make calls on the bike and I don't like talking to anyone while I'm riding.  I'm too busy dropping F bombs at idiot cagers. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:38:40 PM »

:thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »

I installed the Harley Audio DIN Kit Friday so I could plug in the Freewire, I am using the wireless headset in my new Bilt Techno 2.0.  I can actually ride without ear plugs but going to go ahead and wear them anyway.  Works as advertised, have the phone directly connected so I can use Google while riding. For those unfamiliar, "OK Google" will let me call, text and even look stuff up on the internet hands free.  I don't have the functionality of the mic on the Harley menu though, the Freewire requires Bluetooth 4.1 for that and my helmet is 3.0.  I can listen to the radio and the satellite radio with it in stereo which was the goal when I started this project. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:20:33 AM by Rocket67 »
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal