Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD to bid on Ducati  (Read 344 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
HD to bid on Ducati
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »

Looks like HD is going to give the performance bike business another go. If they get it, I hope they do a better job than they did with MV Agusta and Buell.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-harley-davidson-enters-race-to-buy-italian-rival-ducati-sources-2017-6

It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: HD to bid on Ducati
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »

They won't.  Problem with Harley is that they do not understand their demographic and are wasting time and effort chasing a different one.  It's always been the downfall of the management.  Yeah, make the touring bikes run better, keep up with technology but ditch the sub-$7000 sport cruiser and sport bikes.  It is such a bad idea Polaris and Indian never even tried it. 

The VRod was a good concept but they made it handle like a Harley and look like a Yamaha.  All the research and effort for a product that barely turned any profit meanwhile the Street Glide and Merchandise kept the doors open. 

The management for this company has to be all liberals, they haven't had a sound corporate plan ever. 

Here is my advice for Harley:  Own what YOU are.  Embrace the HISTORY of your brand.  Cater to YOUR customers.  Harley's are big, bad Cranberries, pavement chewing, snarling machines.  Are they technologically on par with Honda?  Who cares, that is not your demographic.  Make them safe, beautiful, loud and fun to ride.  While you are at it, quit producing sub-par QC to the people who actually buy your bikes. 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »

They won't.  Problem with Harley is that they do not understand their demographic and are wasting time and effort chasing a different one.  It's always been the downfall of the management.  Yeah, make the touring bikes run better, keep up with technology but ditch the sub-$7000 sport cruiser and sport bikes.  It is such a bad idea Polaris and Indian never even tried it. 

The VRod was a good concept but they made it handle like a Harley and look like a Yamaha.  All the research and effort for a product that barely turned any profit meanwhile the Street Glide and Merchandise kept the doors open. 

The management for this company has to be all liberals, they haven't had a sound corporate plan ever. 

Here is my advice for Harley:  Own what YOU are.  Embrace the HISTORY of your brand.  Cater to YOUR customers.  Harley's are big, bad Cranberries, pavement chewing, snarling machines.  Are they technologically on par with Honda?  Who cares, that is not your demographic.  Make them safe, beautiful, loud and fun to ride.  While you are at it, quit producing sub-par QC to the people who actually buy your bikes.

I agree!!   While they're at it, maybe they could drop their prices some so us common folk can afford one!

I just saw where Indian is coming out with a Roadmaster Elite, starting price is a whopping $36,999!!!!!
That's more then what we are paying for my wife's 2016 Subaru Forester!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:40:03 PM by BobWd »

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »

I'll probably buy a Harley-Davidson-Ducati too.  So......eat it!!!  :ohwow:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

DEMON

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »

the current HD line up is not something that the younger folks are buying... maybe if they purchase Ducati they can remain relevant.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »

The current HD line up isn't something that appeals to a lot of us older riders either. Their new 114 ci engine makes a whopping 100HP! whoopee!They can't even win their own race.(see HD flat track) The 40yr old Goldwing makes 108 hp. The KTM1290 makes 160hp. BMW 1600 165 hp. I like antique bikes and cars but I don't want one as a every day driver. And while we are at it, Other than their sport and dirt bikes Honda is falling behind. They have nothing new that gets me all that excited. They don't have anything that will compete with the FJR or Concours in the ST class.They don't have a cruiser(I don't care) The wing engine hasn't changed much since 01. The new Africa Twin is kinda cool as a mid range adventure bike.   Reliability is their saving grace.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »

you'll eat it . The bills. According to Consumer reports Ducati is even less reliable than HD!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:16 AM »

you'll eat it . The bills. According to Consumer reports Ducati is even less reliable than HD!

Ducati does makes some really great looking sport bikes. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »

In reality almost every type of platform has been designed already.  Only thing left to compete on is engine displacement and even then we all saw a regress in that with the big Japanese cruisers.  I do like the new technology going into the new bikes but again you can only put so much in a 500-800 lb machine.    There will be a generational gap of motorcycle riders until a new group comes and brings it all back to life again.

"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »

In reality almost every type of platform has been designed already.  Only thing left to compete on is engine displacement and even then we all saw a regress in that with the big Japanese cruisers.  I do like the new technology going into the new bikes but again you can only put so much in a 500-800 lb machine.    There will be a generational gap of motorcycle riders until a new group comes and brings it all back to life again.

If they would quit making those stupid TV shows with asshats making "custom" bikes maybe the younger generation would be interested.  That show "Ride with Normal Reedus" was potentially good until they stopped focusing on bikes and started on Norman's boring narration which was about 30 seconds into the 1st show.  Plus, they mostly just ride Ducati so we know who sponsored the show for sure.  I am sure Normal got a few for his garage as well. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »

the current HD line up is not something that the younger folks are buying... maybe if they purchase Ducati they can remain relevant.

Bingo.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal