Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Layered up, still not enough.  (Read 1012 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Layered up, still not enough.
« on: December 12, 2016, 08:39:41 AM »

I rode Saturday where the temps were consistently under 40F.  I layered up and was fine for about an hour but after that the cold started sinking in.  I am pretty sure that next time I ride I should make sure that the temps will at least get up to mid 40's with some sun.   :thumbup:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Layered up, still not enough.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »

Yeah 40 is a bit too cold for me.  My hands during the winters months are always cold and when I ride I'm miserable if I don't have my heated gloves on.  I also have heated grips and they work ok to around 55-60 degrees but I just ordered these handgaurds to mount to the handlebars similar to those ones you see on dirt bikes/snowmobiles and quite a few guys that have them say it helps a lot to keep the heated from being drawn away from the grip surface and keeps that cold blast off the knuckles of the gloves. 

I use ski bib bottoms or pants and those keep my legs fairly warm.  If it's really cold then I also will use some long johns.  I've never been a fan of single layer leather chaps for cold weather since once those get cold it just transfers to your legs but I also recently purchased some 3M thinsulate lined chaps and those are awesome. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »

I have some leather pants that I wear as a second layer and it works pretty good in the short term.  No wind gets through them at all and they do insulate pretty well.  My cold weather gloves are leather with a thick wool liner and they also work pretty good.  I usually just wear a couple of shirts and my mesh jacket with the liner and that is enough.  My biggest problem was the boots, they do work to keep the wind off but after a long time the cold does get through.  I don't guess I will be doing any long rides under 40F, probably keep it to 50 and up or at least the temps should get up to that during the ride.  I really do like cold weather riding though, very peaceful. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »

Get some of those heat packs (hand warmers) to put in your boots.  Wayne and I have used them when we rode in real cold weather.  They really help.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »

A couple of years ago we rode in Arkansas ...temps in the 30's..long johns..chaps..jeans..with hunting socks with hand and foot warmers with thinsulate face masks and gloves of course...took breaks every 1.5 hours....but it was dry...rain is an entirely different animal.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

Rode back from Bandera weekend before last. Cold rain and drizzle all the way back from San Antonio. I have a Safari jacket and covered it with rain gear. Was ok but gloves and boots got wet so hands and feet got a little cold.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »

I rode from Eastside Honda to Deer Park in 33° rain one day. In my defense, when I picked up the bike it was only 33° and cloudy. I was ready for the temperature. It didn't start raining until I got on the freeway headed to Deer Park. The rain soaked all the way through just about the time I got to the apartment. That was a miserable 45 minutes. I would hate to make the San Antonio to Houston run in cold rain. Yuck.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal