Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big Bend - Let's talk  (Read 2084 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: Big Bend - Let's talk
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »

Lajitas is a good choice. That would be my suggestion. The resort is really nice. Not much else there though. Be sure to check out the R.E. Lee statute on the golf course. Neat piece of art that was taken down in Dallas, bought by the resort owner and move there. The mayor of Lajitas is a goat. A real bah bah goat. LOL
It's all just part of the adventure!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »

Boogie to Austin and stay on 6th Street then home.

You mus not have been to 6th Street recently. Watch for the needles and poop.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »

Well, I have committed to go to Big Bend this year.  I've been talking about this place for years and it's one of the last places left for me to explore in Texas.  I've been thru the Piney woods of East Texas, the rolling hills of CenTex the plains of North Texas and the Rio Grand Valley and everywhere in between.  It's now time to tame the Wild West.  Leaving last weekend of March and returning first weekend of April.  Going to drag the RV out there and spends 8 nights.  Most definitely going to do some star gazing!

My money is on you not spending 8 nights out there, as I don't have you pegged as a golfer, and there isn't that much to see in BB to stretch that long. A lot of other good info here, from the other folks. I've been a few times, stayed at the Chisos Mountain Lodge the first time, and in Alpine the other times. The speed limit is a factor in the park, but I had the Feejer in the triple digits, racing a buddy of mine on his Kawasaki.

From 2008...

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »

I'm taking the land yacht.  we like to just spend days in the rv doing nothing but cooking and drinking and sleeping.  a few days for riding and few days for nothing and the rest getting there and back. 

If I was just going on the bike I would not take 8 nights, but towing that beast that far isn't worth just pulling for a few nights stay.  closer yeah, but a days worth of towing I make sure to make it worth it to not have to tow back that soon. 

...and your are correct sir, I am not a golfer. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:14:08 PM by matap »
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:45 AM »

We did a 4-day trip in April '15 and it wasn't long enough...two days just riding there and back.  There are a ton of things to explore, especially if you do some hiking.  I saw signs for hot springs, which sounded good after all that riding...but we didn't do that.  The Boquillas crossing is a must...authentic Mexican food was delicious.  Bring your passports in case you decide to do it.  Book a tour of the McDonald Observatory and go check that out...if you really want to see some stars.

https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

Eight days sounds good to me for my next trip!   :thumbup:  However, no more 2-wheelin' on a 4-wheelin' road...the scenery was breathtaking, but that "washboard" road sucked riding on it. 

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »

I have not ridden the road out to Candalaria but a friend just did it. there is an old cavalry fort on the way from the days of Pancho Villa. Interesting history in the area. Your Not a golfer but a stop to see the resort and the statue is worth a few minutes.
It's all just part of the adventure!
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal