Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sorry Harley  (Read 2195 times)

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Sorry Harley
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »

I'll still ride a Harley....it will give me something to work on.  :redcard: 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »

I'll still ride a Harley....it will give me something to work on.  :redcard: 

I have had fun with all the add-ons that are readily available.  I just got s sweet new shift linkage new in the package for $50.   :c
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »

I'm not knocking HD and they are not going anywhere. They still sell the majority of the big bikes sold in the US. If you like them , GREAT, they just don't offer anything that appeals to me. Like the saying goes, don't care what you ride, let's just ride. And right now I'm having a hard time finding time to do  doing that. :banghead:
It's all just part of the adventure!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »

there you go, Maybe a smaller, sportier SG or RG.  there is so much they could do with the V Rod rather than just an uncomfortable cruiser. I would definately give HD a look if they did something like that but they just don't offer anything currently that interests me.

Dang, guess you'll be trading in that wing for a Harley soon  :stickpoke:

did briefly flirt with the idea of swapping her for one of those new Honda Africa twins. Glad that passed.

DEMON

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »

That's the point. Read the article on the TXR Facebook page. More and more younger people aren't buying into the old Harley culture .  Harley priced them selves out of the reach of some of their loyal base customers. More and more people are like us. Don't care what you ride , just ride. Indian and Victory have made inroads into the big bagger market and others , like me, just aren't interested in the air cooled VTwin when there are better options and MC for other types of riding. HD appears to be in some trouble because they are hanging on to their culture. Anytime soon, doubt it .One thing we know is that the world changes. Gumbo, won't trade the wing on anything HD currently has to offer. Don't see them doing anything exciting anytime soon .

When I was in college, I wrote a research paper on motorcycle sales.  At that time the worlds largest motorcycle manufactures was Honda (I'm sure that's still the case).  Their best selling motorcycles were not big cruisers or the Goldwing or the ST.  Nor was any of their sport bikes.  It was the 500CC and under motorcycles that most of us would not even dare to be seen looking at.  There are lots of lots of Sporters riding around, and now they have a 750cc and some other smaller CC bike with the HD logo.  Coincidence?   I don't think so.  HD was mentioned on my research paper as well.  Their #1 revenue was not motorcycle sales but clothing and all the BS they have with the HD logo.  There is a reason a big part of the showroom is like a woman's clothing store.

HD don't care about Gumbo trading his Goldwing for an HD... Gumbo is probably on his last motorcycle any way...  HD will go after the beginner rider by offering their small CC bikes.. Toyota did something similar by introducing the Scion line up for beginner drivers.

HD did a great job marketing to woman and they sell a bunch of bikes to them. 

V twin engines are an old school design and does not appeal to everyone.  I personally like them, but I know that a in line 4 cylinder a 6 cylinder bike is "better" and this is where most of you season rider say that HD does not offer anything you are looking for. 

I think if they remove some of the bikes that don't sell well and limit the # of motorcycles they produce for some of the hot selling bikes, then they will be able to make a bigger profit. 

not many left over 2002-2008 Hd's sat  inside crates at dealers like the VTX 1800 did. 

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

that is still the case for Honda which is why I said HD still sells the most big bikes in the US.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »

Paul---- when you said "With Flat track and hooligan racing making a huge comeback they would be idiots to not try and tap into that market again." That would be so kool to see again. I rode Truimph and BSA for years before turning to Honda. I rode flat track for a couple on my 650 Truimph Tiger and did good locally. Went to Oklahoma City several years on the mile track but after the first year of riding with these boys, I knew I was out classed so would just go to watch after that. We all love the sound of a good big bike when it's getting the throttle twisted an her ears are being pinned back and those races when the big boys came out of the turns, especially turn 4, man! I would love to see them make a come back, I'd go in a heart beat.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:05:19 AM »

Paul---- when you said "With Flat track and hooligan racing making a huge comeback they would be idiots to not try and tap into that market again." That would be so kool to see again. I rode Truimph and BSA for years before turning to Honda. I rode flat track for a couple on my 650 Truimph Tiger and did good locally. Went to Oklahoma City several years on the mile track but after the first year of riding with these boys, I knew I was out classed so would just go to watch after that. We all love the sound of a good big bike when it's getting the throttle twisted an her ears are being pinned back and those races when the big boys came out of the turns, especially turn 4, man! I would love to see them make a come back, I'd go in a heart beat.

Where is the LIKE button??  Yeah, I'll go with ya!
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal