Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Texas Bucket List Ride #05 - Caddo Mounds - March 26th  (Read 1928 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Texas Bucket List Ride #05 - Caddo Mounds - March 26th
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »

Number 5 is on the books and currently the details and route are being planned.  Here is what we have so far:

Meet: Old Montgomery Steakhouse 8:00AM
Destination: Caddo Mounds (near Alto)
Lunch: Crockett Square - Moosehead Cafe
Distance: Approximately 300 miles

I'll post maps and stuff soon.  
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Texas Bucket List Ride #05 - Caddo Mounds - March 26th
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »

This will be nice.  I most likely won't make it because that day is a bike show I'm entering in. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »

I'll be coaching another class. I gotta find some time to ride somewhere besides circles in a parking lot. Cmon BBT
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:42 AM »

I'll be coaching another class. I gotta find some time to ride somewhere besides circles in a parking lot. Cmon BBT

I have TBLR's lined up for months.  Likely going to postpone them in the hotter months but we'll see.  Either way, I am sure you will be able to make one eventually. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »

:thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »

For those who don't know, I was unable to go to this ride due to family obligations but the originator of the idea went forward and led the group...at least for the first 80 miles when one of the people he invited ran into him.  

Everyone is ok.

I am always leary about group riding with folks I have never ridden or don't know and in this case it turned out to be warranted.  

When this person (who ran into the leader of the group) was added to my FB group I saw red flags immediately and called the invitor concerned that this would not be the kind of rider who should be in my FB riding group.  I was told that, he's ok and a good rider.  

In the first 80 miles of his first ride with the group, my concerns were spot on.

Reports back that this person was revving the motor and possibly even did a burnout as they were leaving the meetup spot, erradic riding and throttle popping were exactly what I expected.  

So, I will no longer be posting public rides on FB.  This was only my second one on the FB page and two people went down.  Just goes to show you a good leader and a group meeting before a ride are vital to keeping everyone safe.  In this case, knowing your route and not trying to hang a u-turn unexpectedly would have been prudent.  

When leading a group of riders it's important NOT to make anyone take evasive action.  If you missed a turn, keep going until you can find a nice safe spot to turn around.  Signal your departure from the road and stop to make sure the group follows.  Any large parking lot will do.  

I will keep posting these Bucket List rides on TexasXRiders but just wanted to throw this out there:

PAY ATTENTION
RIDE SAFE
DO NOT TAILGATE
RIDE STAGGERED
THESE ARE NOT DRINKING RIDES (we may stop for A beer with lunch)
DO NOT REV YOUR MOTOR CONSTANTLY (people behind you hear it a lot louder than you do)
DO NOT WEAVE IN YOUR LANE (there is a reason to stagger bikes)
IF YOU INVITE SOMEONE MAKE SURE THAT THEY CAN RIDE (having a bike for 20 years does not mean you can ride)

If anyone wants to go drinking, hot rodding or generally screwing around then pick another ride.  The TBL Rides are not for them.  

For the record, the people involved in the accident are not TXR members.  

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:19:18 AM by Rocket67 »
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »

Hey at least for now he won't be able to join since his bike is junked.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »

That is one of the problems with FB groups, it's hard to control who jumps in. :redcard:

Just glad no one was hurt could have been a lot worse. :ohwow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »

That is one of the problems with FB groups, it's hard to control who jumps in. :redcard:

Just glad no one was hurt could have been a lot worse. :ohwow:

I should have disabled the add people button.  By default it lets anyone add new members without approval from the admin. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »

Rocket67, I totally agree with your post.  Sorry there was an accident, glad no one was seriously hurt.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »

I am going to redo this one soon.  I wanted to go but couldn't make it due to conflicting schedules but heard it was a pretty decent ride other than the wreck.  I still have all the GPX maps so will post up if anyone is interested.    
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal