Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My alma trailer  (Read 1715 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
My alma trailer
« on: June 30, 2016, 02:41:40 PM »

i am rebuilding this Aluma trailer that my cousin Mike left me. It is aluminum and had been exposed to the weather. The aluminum fenders polished out pretty well but was a lot of work. The floor plate on the body is very tarnished and I don't think Mothers makes a polish that will shine it up. I am thinking about painting the floor plate and polishing the trim. I don't know about painting aluminum and looking for ideas to dress this thing up as a tribute to my cousin. Whatcha all think
It's all just part of the adventure!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: My alma trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

More photos

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:35 PM »

Another

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:30:25 AM »

Powder coat is not that expensive and would be better than paint. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »

could they powder coat the floor plate without taking the trailer apart? The box is welded together and can't be take apart. I can remove the tongue and axle if need be. Also I wonder if the heat would warp the wide panels.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:14:30 AM by xcaliber »

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »

Powder coating is a good solution, but like you say not sure if they can just hit the bed.

Another idea would be Rust-Oleum Professional Aluminum Primer, 15-oz. can covers areas up to approximately 14 sq. ft., cleans up with mineral spirits.
After primer drys you could paint it any color you want. The primer prevents the usual problems of blistering, flaking, or peeling paint.

Good luck  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »

What are the side panels made of?  If it's all metal it will be fine.  powdercoating only requires heat temperatures up to 400 degrees and for most applications only 15-20 of that applied heat. 

Another alternative would be to have it powdercoated or you can purchase one of those 'roll on' bedliner kits.  I'm sure it isn't going to see bed truck type use. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »

I would recommend carpet lining it.  Will keep condensation to a minimum and keep things from rubbing around in there.  Unless of course you have Gumbo in there you won't be able to avoid rubbing.   :stickpoke:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »

You could do the bed liner roller kit and then put indoor / outdoor carpet on it

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

If the part you're talking about is diamond plate aluminum, it can be polished up even better than new. Use aluminum polish with a mothers powerball on a drill and get it mirror finished.
SSSSSssssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »

I would recommend carpet lining it.  Will keep condensation to a minimum and keep things from rubbing around in there.  Unless of course you have Gumbo in there you won't be able to avoid rubbing.   :stickpoke:

Don't be shy, just say you want to rub Gumbo ;D It's OK, not going to happen, but just say it :ohwow: :ohwow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

Planning on doing that, Paul, after I clean up the out side and rewire it with new LEDs.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »

:thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal