Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ROT Rally Riding  (Read 4576 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
ROT Rally Riding
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »

So, I was thinking when at the ROT that I would map out a few rides around the area that we rode during the BBT but after looking at the map realized that it was much further away than I initially thought.  So, I am staying on the North side of Austin, anyone have some good routes to ride?  I don't need to sight see, I will get enough of that at the rally, just want a good ride (like the sisters) and possibly a few spots to stop and take a photo.  If anyone is going and intends on doing what I am describing, let me know if you have room for one more.  I can solo but would like to follow someone who knows their way around until I am more familiar with the good riding spots around San Antonio/Austin. 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: ROT Rally Riding
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »

Found this one, might incorporate this into a larger ride. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »

Cool, found another route that completes the loop from Marble falls.  I'll be uploading these GPX to my Harley Ride planner and refining them in the next few days.  This might be my Thursday ride if I get there early enough!! 

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »

Ahhh, Friday or Saturday ride.  This one will be a very long ride starting from North Austin but I would get to hit 16 again, that one was fun. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »

Actually.....after looking at some maps....Twisted Sisters is doable.  I mapped a route from my hotel to the sisters and back, it ended up being 400 miles.  So, it's either hang around the rally all day and drink beer (tempting) or ride all day and then hit the rally and drink beer. 

:thumbup:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »

1431 from Cedar Park to Marble Falls is a great route.  Definitely one of my absolute favorites.  Try not to pass it up that weekend.  It's quick and you can be back in Austin in no time. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »

1431 from Cedar Park to Marble Falls is a great route.  Definitely one of my absolute favorites.  Try not to pass it up that weekend.  It's quick and you can be back in Austin in no time. 

I won't.  Since I don't have anyone staying with me over the weekend I am open to do whatever I want.  I am planning on making this a riding trip with the Rally as a side show. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

I won't.  Since I don't have anyone staying with me over the weekend I am open to do whatever I want.  I am planning on making this a riding trip with the Rally as a side show. 

To add to that you could take Lime Creek Rd which runs North/South adjacent to Lake Travis.  Start from the south end and it will work you up to 1431 near Cedar Park.  Lime Creek isn't a fast route but is pretty nice.  Keeps you off the main highways and busy roads around there. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »

To add to that you could take Lime Creek Rd which runs North/South adjacent to Lake Travis.  Start from the south end and it will work you up to 1431 near Cedar Park.  Lime Creek isn't a fast route but is pretty nice.  Keeps you off the main highways and busy roads around there. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll see if I can avoid any major road for an alternative. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »

Some of the turns on Lime Creek Road at rated 10 mph for cages. Which led me to believe I could take them at 20mph. This is an error!!!! The 10 mph turns are double backs at the end of a chasm!! And even with a fast Kawasaki 750, they were tough turns to make. Almost as bad as 16 between Kerrville and Medina. But don't take my word for it. Go find out yourself.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 06:26:27 AM »

Some of the turns on Lime Creek Road at rated 10 mph for cages. Which led me to believe I could take them at 20mph. This is an error!!!! The 10 mph turns are double backs at the end of a chasm!! And even with a fast Kawasaki 750, they were tough turns to make. Almost as bad as 16 between Kerrville and Medina. But don't take my word for it. Go find out yourself.

My first map has Lime Creek Road on it.  I am probably going to hit that from the south and work my way around the lake to Marble Falls then take the second route back through the forest and then back to Austin on 1431. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »

I wish I could make this trip!
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

Your map doesn't show how you get to Lago Vista from the Austin area. I would suggest taking FM 2222 to FM 620. After FM 2222 crosses FM 620, it apparently loses its designation as FM 2222 and simply becomes Bullick Hollow Road. Stay on Bullick Hollow Road for the next 3.1 miles, at which point it ends at a T intersection with RM 2769. It's a really pretty ride with some nice ups, downs and curves. Turn left at the T intersection with RM 2769 and follow RM 2769 for the next 3.8 miles to its intersection in Volente with Lime Creek Road. Lime Creek Road runs into RM 2769 from the right, less than 500 feet from the end of RM 2769 at Lake Travis. Lime Creek Road goes for 8.8 miles to a T intersection with Anderson Mill Road. I'd suggest taking it easy the first time you ride this road because it's got some partially hidden curves with a tightness that's impossible to gauge until you're right in them. When a sign says 10 mph, it's not just for chickens. Turn left on Anderson Mill Road and follow it for 1.6 miles to FM 1431. Turn left on FM 1431 to Marble Falls. The first few miles on FM 1431 are 4-lane highway and not much to talk about, but once it narrows down to 2 lanes and passes beyond all the development, it's a beautiful route. In fact, it was a ride on FM 1431 as a passenger on the back of someones else's bike that got me back into riding motorcycles. Enjoy!

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »

Your map doesn't show how you get to Lago Vista from the Austin area. I would suggest taking FM 2222 to FM 620. After FM 2222 crosses FM 620, it apparently loses its designation as FM 2222 and simply becomes Bullick Hollow Road. Stay on Bullick Hollow Road for the next 3.1 miles, at which point it ends at a T intersection with RM 2769. It's a really pretty ride with some nice ups, downs and curves. Turn left at the T intersection with RM 2769 and follow RM 2769 for the next 3.8 miles to its intersection in Volente with Lime Creek Road. Lime Creek Road runs into RM 2769 from the right, less than 500 feet from the end of RM 2769 at Lake Travis. Lime Creek Road goes for 8.8 miles to a T intersection with Anderson Mill Road. I'd suggest taking it easy the first time you ride this road because it's got some partially hidden curves with a tightness that's impossible to gauge until you're right in them. When a sign says 10 mph, it's not just for chickens. Turn left on Anderson Mill Road and follow it for 1.6 miles to FM 1431. Turn left on FM 1431 to Marble Falls. The first few miles on FM 1431 are 4-lane highway and not much to talk about, but once it narrows down to 2 lanes and passes beyond all the development, it's a beautiful route. In fact, it was a ride on FM 1431 as a passenger on the back of someones else's bike that got me back into riding motorcycles. Enjoy!

Mike

Thanks for the route, I was going to look at my map program and figure something out.  This should work nicely. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:15:03 PM »

Mike

Got it on the map and my hotel is right off 69 a few miles from where it turns into 2222 so that is convenient.  Made my first stop Rumi's tavern.  That is about the 1 hour point.  Next stop Marble Falls.  I am breaking the GPX files into several separate so I can tweak them better.  Should be fun. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal