Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trickle charger, battery life during the non riding weeks.  (Read 4063 times)

Bugsie

• Tejano
  • 2003 Hond VTX 1800S
Trickle charger, battery life during the non riding weeks.
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »

Have not rode the 1800 in two or more weeks. Had no idea the computer would drain the battery that fast. Over the Summer I bought two trickle chargers half price at J P Cycles, when I ordered my helmet an riding jacket (I swear jacket & helmet sizes are based on someone's 110 lb girlfriend in SouCal). Money well spent. Sadie fired over in 35 minutes. What say you? I fired her up today for short ten mile ride around sunset. Almost didn't start. I plan to check her pulse tomorrow, Tuesday & Friday.
B

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: Trickle charger, battery life during the non riding weeks.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »

Unless you have something else drawing power, two weeks shouldn't drag a battery in good shape down.
My batteries on my 02 lasted about 6 years each... if yours is like mine, it prolly could stand a new one.
SSSSSSSsssssssssnake       
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »

I use a Battery Tender jr.  If Im not going to ride much I stick it on there.  No Problems  :thumbup:
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:25 AM »

I use a Battery Tender jr.  If Im not going to ride much I stick it on there.  No Problems  :thumbup:

Ditto on the tender.  I plug in every time I park it. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »

I never used a battery tender and I've never had a battery go down in 2-3 weeks.  Either your battery has expired or something's pulling power. 
02 1800C

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

I have a battery tender, never used it except for my 12yr old lawn tractor :stickpoke:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »

my 07 1800 still had the original battery...figured I should switch it out for the trip to Bandera...not taking chances.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »

my 07 1800 still had the original battery...figured I should switch it out for the trip to Bandera...not taking chances.

Don't worry Bobcat we'll take care of ya :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

Two years ago, Lucky and I went out of state for a bit and left the bikes at home. When we returned after 78 days, my bike grunted a second and then fired up. Lucky's bike just spun like a champ until the carburetor refilled with gasoline and then it fired up. Still running on those batteries and no battery tenders.

I'd say if your battery is dead after 2 weeks, you gots issues.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »

Ditto on the tender.  I plug in every time I park it. 

That's not good for your battery. It's not needed unless you are not going to ride for extended times. 3-4 weeks might qualify for extended times but even then. 30 minute ride at higher RPMs will charge it back up enough.

I didn't ride for a month when I had my appendix removed and road glide started right up. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:00:05 AM »

Agree with Paul, not good for the battery. More important for carb bikes to be started and ran till they get hot because of ethanol in the gas. Sounds like you have a bad battery or something draining it. Mine set for a month and fired right up and the battery is from 2010.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:32:54 AM »

So, your stator is constantly recharging your battery when you ride but a tender is bad for your battery?  How is that?  Of course I am using one that has a maintain mode built in that keeps the battery at it's optimum level.  With as much as I ride it I probably don't need to but I like to keep my battery tip top. 

BTW, shouldn't this be in the Garage section?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:46:59 AM by Rocket67 »
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »

So, your stator is constantly recharging your battery when you ride but a tender is bad for your battery?  How is that?  Of course I am using one that has a maintain mode built in that keeps the battery at it's optimum level.  With as much as I ride it I probably don't need to but I like to keep my battery tip top. 

You Harley guys need to keep your battery tip top, there some dang hard to start ;D ;D :stickpoke:

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

You Harley guys need to keep your battery tip top, there some dang hard to start ;D ;D :stickpoke:

That is exactly why I keep it tip top!
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »

no kidding, tried to help push start one once, no matter what gear we tried to start it in, the rear tire would just lock up.  had to use a goldwing to jump start it.  :stickpoke:

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal