Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: changing antifreeze  (Read 539 times)

kded4009

• Tejano
changing antifreeze
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »

2003 vtx 1800 c
while changing my antifreeze, I notice these things, are these problems? (AF = antifreeze)
1) this will be the 3rd time changing (@42,000), 1st was @9.5k, 2nd was @14k due to water pump failure (under warranty..yea). But each time I specifically used ENGINE ICE to changed it. This time and the 1st time, the used solution was GREEN, very GREEN...weird since ENGINE ICE is very BLUE. How is it changing to GREEN? see pics of new ENGINEICE AF and Used.

2) Since I couldnt tell where the drain plug was at, I removed the front hose to drain AF. Can someone direct me to the right drain plug? it seems the water pump is connect with four bolts, is one of them it (Frt top, Frt bottom, Rear Top, or Rear bottom)? according to the service manual on page 6-5, it appears to be the front-bottom bolt. is that correct?

3) is there something wrong here? am I missing a bolt? right above my kickstand bolt (the large hex bolt head) is what looks like a place where a bolt should be to retain the water pump onto the bike, but its not there!?!.. there's no drips nor leaks along the water pump seal. Is this bolt necessary? if I look at the service manual page 6-5, there is a picture of everything, but it seems the bolt is not there in their picture either. However, this is a service manual in which the personally writing it up is not the ones working on it, so I dont believe it.

thanks,
kded4009
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:05:30 AM by kded4009 »

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
Re: changing antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »

Did you get any responses on this?
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

kded4009

• Tejano
Re: changing antifreeze
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »

yes I did get a few responses and completed the task.
(1) Al Lambs Honda Stealers charged me for Engine Ice Antifreeze, but did not use it when they did the warranty work on the water pump.
(2) the drain is the front -bottom bolt, looks like the other bolts holding the pump on, but it has a drain thru in it.
(3) the bolt is actually there, i cant see it cause it is reversed inserted meaning it is inserted from the ground view and not the top of the bike view. It is fine as being reversed inserted, just weird.

Thanks everyone for your input on this matter. :notworthy:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal