Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is today "drive like an idiot day"?  (Read 2225 times)

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
Is today "drive like an idiot day"?
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »

on my 25 minute commute this morning...I had a white Mitsubishi sedan swerve into my lane, miss me by a few feet..and never acknowledge me while on the phone ..even after I laid on the horn and passed him as I extend my middle finger in his direction.  I had a lady pull out in front of me..and then wave...while on the phone.  And lastly...a DB in a Ford Raptor passed me while Facetiming on his Ipad while driving 70 mph on highway 114.  Unbelievable! :cuss:
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: Is today "drive like an idiot day"?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

Nah, they probably got Ebola!
It's all just part of the adventure!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!! :ohwow:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »

I thought "Drive Like an Idiot" day was everyday....I run across them quite often.  Glad none of them snagged you.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:09:34 AM »

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!! :ohwow:
Not even with duct tape...
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »

This is a big part of why I'm selling the bike.  My chief, who also rides, and I had this discussion the other day; we've both gotten to where we're fed up with close calls and hearing about everyone else's "rights" to text, read, eat, apply makeup, drink booze, smoke dope, eat pills, and change clothes while they "drive" on public roads.  The segment of society that has no regard for anyone else is growing every day.  It's getting scary driving in the pickup; never mind the bike.  Neither of us enjoys riding like we used to.  It's a whole lot safer to just go fishing; the dangerous part is getting to the coast and back.

More and more vehicles on the road are operated by drivers with suspended licenses and no insurance.  Many of these drivers are pilled up on painkillers and other drugs.  Our PD tows several vehicles a day, every day, for suspended drivers with nobody in the vehicle who can legally drive.  These vehicles are all stopped for traffic violations -- they're driving stupid -- and the numbers are growing.  We just had a four-car pileup in the city; a guy with a suspended license and a gut full of a pill cocktail fuzzed out and wiped out a bunch of cars on the freeway.  As our officers worked the wreck they discovered that he had just done the same thing in Harris County.  The deputy who worked that wreck let him drive away, even though he couldn't stand up without help and his license was suspended, and he had previous convictions for DWI and DWLS. Five minutes later he wrecked out again, in our city.  They're out there, and their numbers are growing.  And the people whose truck the doper was driving -- who lent it to him KNOWING that his license is suspended -- say that we were out of line when we towed the remains of their pickup and placed a hold on it, so that we could file charges on them for letting dumba$$ use their truck to run over five other vehicles.

That's who's out there on the highway today.  And tomorrow.  And the day after that.  And their numbers are growing...........

Y'all be careful out there.  I just can't deal with them any more.
02 1800C

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

This is a big part of why I'm selling the bike.  My chief, who also rides, and I had this discussion the other day; we've both gotten to where we're fed up with close calls and hearing about everyone else's "rights" to text, read, eat, apply makeup, drink booze, smoke dope, eat pills, and change clothes while they "drive" on public roads.  The segment of society that has no regard for anyone else is growing every day.  It's getting scary driving in the pickup; never mind the bike.  Neither of us enjoys riding like we used to.  It's a whole lot safer to just go fishing; the dangerous part is getting to the coast and back.

More and more vehicles on the road are operated by drivers with suspended licenses and no insurance.  Many of these drivers are pilled up on painkillers and other drugs.  Our PD tows several vehicles a day, every day, for suspended drivers with nobody in the vehicle who can legally drive.  These vehicles are all stopped for traffic violations -- they're driving stupid -- and the numbers are growing.  We just had a four-car pileup in the city; a guy with a suspended license and a gut full of a pill cocktail fuzzed out and wiped out a bunch of cars on the freeway.  As our officers worked the wreck they discovered that he had just done the same thing in Harris County.  The deputy who worked that wreck let him drive away, even though he couldn't stand up without help and his license was suspended, and he had previous convictions for DWI and DWLS. Five minutes later he wrecked out again, in our city.  They're out there, and their numbers are growing.  And the people whose truck the doper was driving -- who lent it to him KNOWING that his license is suspended -- say that we were out of line when we towed the remains of their pickup and placed a hold on it, so that we could file charges on them for letting dumba$$ use their truck to run over five other vehicles.

That's who's out there on the highway today.  And tomorrow.  And the day after that.  And their numbers are growing...........

Guess that's what happens when you get old ;D
Fishing is much more safe SHARK
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »

Guess that's what happens when you get old ;D
Fishing is much more safe SHARK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3N_BnVdOI

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 05:11:43 PM »

About a week ago, my youngest son got Tboned by a drunk driver.  The driver was in a rental car, has no insurance and had less than 1/2 a bottle of Jim Beam in the front seat.  He was so drunk he was incoherent at the scene and it took my son several days to get any information on him.  Meanwhile my son is out of a car which he uses for work.  With the drunk driver having no insurance and the rental company not claiming any liability due to his drunkenness, then my son is SOL.  It makes my blood boil when I hear/experience situations where irresponsible idiots get away with not obeying the law, such as carrying liability insurance, and leaving the law abiding citizens totally screwed.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »

Larry and Bryce, I've been that close to a shark twice that I can remember while diving; once at Indian Key and once in Biscayne Bay.  I came out unscathed both times.  While it scared me both times I get scared worse by the attitudes of todays drivers. 

A couple of years ago I got off work at 4:00 PM.  It was raining.  I had to stop by the Orvis shop in The Woodlands, and I was there until about 4:45.  I started down Lake Woodlands Drive toward IH-45, in the left lane.  As I aproached the freeway a silver Audi came up behind me at high speed, passed me at way over the speed limit and swerved abruptly into my lane just in front of me, braking hard.  As that occurred the light we were approaching turned amber.  I swerved over to the right lane and stopped at the light, thinking the driver of the Audi was just another no-driving Woodlands jerk in a hurry.  I looked over at him; I'd never seen him before.  He had two kids in the car (I later learned they were 2 and 6 years old).  When the light turned green we were off, and the driver of the Audi was trying to force me off the road.  He almost hit two different cars trying to jam me up.  We played dodge around the Lake Woodlands ramp over the freeway, in traffic, and I was at a loss as to why this driver had it in for me.  We got on the east service road, and the guy was still trying to run me off the road.  I finally had enough, and I turned on the lights and siren (I drive an unmarked, but fully equipped, pickup and work in plain clothes) and attempted to stop him as I called in his registration on the radio.  He took off then, and that Dodge pickup was no match for the Audi in the rain.  However, as luck would have it, there was a marked Constable's unit in a Charger just ahead in a parking lot, and he joined in the pursuit.  The Audi ducked down a side street and we got him boxed in as other units intercepted the pursuit.  As it turned out, this idiot thought I was somebody he didn't like, who drives a red Dodge pickup, and decided he was going to run me off the road and stomp a mudhole in my a$$.  With his kids aboard.  I arrested him and I asked him if he ever thought about what might have happened if I'd been an armed businessman, taking the day's deposits to the bank, and I'd been forced off the road and robbed at gunpoint last week.  I asked him if his kids' lives meant that little to him......

And naturally, the DA wouldn't take child endangerment charges.  Folks, this guy is out there.  And there are thousands more, just as stupid as he is, driving around us every day.

I'll take a shark any day of the week.
02 1800C

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:45:48 AM »

Larry and Bryce, I've been that close to a shark twice that I can remember while diving; once at Indian Key and once in Biscayne Bay.  I came out unscathed both times.  While it scared me both times I get scared worse by the attitudes of todays drivers. 

A couple of years ago I got off work at 4:00 PM.  It was raining.  I had to stop by the Orvis shop in The Woodlands, and I was there until about 4:45.  I started down Lake Woodlands Drive toward IH-45, in the left lane.  As I aproached the freeway a silver Audi came up behind me at high speed, passed me at way over the speed limit and swerved abruptly into my lane just in front of me, braking hard.  As that occurred the light we were approaching turned amber.  I swerved over to the right lane and stopped at the light, thinking the driver of the Audi was just another no-driving Woodlands jerk in a hurry.  I looked over at him; I'd never seen him before.  He had two kids in the car (I later learned they were 2 and 6 years old).  When the light turned green we were off, and the driver of the Audi was trying to force me off the road.  He almost hit two different cars trying to jam me up.  We played dodge around the Lake Woodlands ramp over the freeway, in traffic, and I was at a loss as to why this driver had it in for me.  We got on the east service road, and the guy was still trying to run me off the road.  I finally had enough, and I turned on the lights and siren (I drive an unmarked, but fully equipped, pickup and work in plain clothes) and attempted to stop him as I called in his registration on the radio.  He took off then, and that Dodge pickup was no match for the Audi in the rain.  However, as luck would have it, there was a marked Constable's unit in a Charger just ahead in a parking lot, and he joined in the pursuit.  The Audi ducked down a side street and we got him boxed in as other units intercepted the pursuit.  As it turned out, this idiot thought I was somebody he didn't like, who drives a red Dodge pickup, and decided he was going to run me off the road and stomp a mudhole in my a$$.  With his kids aboard.  I arrested him and I asked him if he ever thought about what might have happened if I'd been an armed businessman, taking the day's deposits to the bank, and I'd been forced off the road and robbed at gunpoint last week.  I asked him if his kids' lives meant that little to him......

And naturally, the DA wouldn't take child endangerment charges.  Folks, this guy is out there.  And there are thousands more, just as stupid as he is, driving around us every day.

I'll take a shark any day of the week.

Good story Jim!   
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »

Hey Al, interestingly enough, although I'd never seen that kid Marigold and I know his dad, who is an attorney.  He used to eat lunch with us every Wednesday.  The kid called his dad to the scene, and after talking to the kid, his dad approached me.  He told me,"I've heard what my son has to say, now I'd like to hear the truth."  I told the kid on the way to the jail that he had put his father in the position of having to defend his son in court for an arrest by a friend; not something an attorney wants to have to do.  The kid is in the pen now (not for the incident above); he has anger management issues and either won't, or can't, accept help. 

But he still has a driver's license......
02 1800C

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »

I hear ya...I really do....but damn if I'm going to stop riding for a bunch of idiots.  I don't do any city riding, but riding to work may have to stop. 
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

I don't do much city riding. I ride for fun and riding in town isn't fun for me.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »

Why can't I use my CHL to reduce the stupidity level on the highways? Isn't it assault with a deadly weapon when they try to run me over? Can't I defend myself against these losers? How about if I just shoot out a front tire and remove the threat to myself? Do I have to kill the driver and have him wreck and kill his two kids in the back seat?
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal