Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mena Trip - Commuinication  (Read 782 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Mena Trip - Commuinication
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:04 AM »

So, I am thinking about getting a wireless communication device for my helmet that also can play music and phone, etc.  First, I am looking at the UClear HBC200 Force and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this or the HBC100.  Second, will anyone else be using this type of device?  I hate trying to get in conversation at stop signs and red lights, and this would definitely help avoid stopping to figure out what next turn to take in case there is any question.  Nothing like having a group of 20 bikes pulling over every mile to figure out which way to go.  If we had a few communicating and came up with some hand signals for "I need to pull over" and "I would really like to take a picture here" or whatever..

I don't know if you guys already have that since a bunch of you have already ridden together but I would like to have the ability to communicate while I am riding so there is no confusion and also since we are going to be riding a long time it would be a good thing. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
Re: Mena Trip - Commuinication
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »

Rocket, I have used both the sena and scala units in group rides.  Both have their pros and cons.  a con for both is they almost always need to be paired with your riding group, and the group number is small, something like 4 members. 

Using clever pairing using the "Sena's" in a chain a <> b <> c <> d <> e <>.... this number can be greatly increased, the connection process is very strange to talk.  A and B connect, C then connects to B, D then connects to C, E then connects to D......  Then A through E can all talk on a open party line.  I have seem this chain pair extend way past the Sena's normal operation range, around corners, where A and E were able to talk as long as the people in the middle were acting as a link in the chain.

Scala's (if this feature is enabled) you can call to a random unpaired neighbor.

I have no first hand experience with uclear devices.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »

SSSSSSSssssssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

Rocket, I have used both the sena and scala units in group rides.  Both have their pros and cons.  a con for both is they almost always need to be paired with your riding group, and the group number is small, something like 4 members.  

Using clever pairing using the "Sena's" in a chain a <> b <> c <> d <> e <>.... this number can be greatly increased, the connection process is very strange to talk.  A and B connect, C then connects to B, D then connects to C, E then connects to D......  Then A through E can all talk on a open party line.  I have seem this chain pair extend way past the Sena's normal operation range, around corners, where A and E were able to talk as long as the people in the middle were acting as a link in the chain.

Scala's (if this feature is enabled) you can call to a random unpaired neighbor.

I have no first hand experience with uclear devices.

Looks like Scala only communicates with Scala and UClear only with UClear.....that sucks.  I read somewhere that there was an update the allowed UClear to communicate to other devices but it was just a comment to a review which I am sceptical of since its nowhere else on the web including UClear's website.  

**UPDATE:  Ok, there is a firmware update for the UClear that allows it to communicate with other devices so it should work with anything.  Lots of good reviews, great range and daisy chains with any other UBC200 up to 4 miles...looks like I am going to get a UClear. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:06:58 PM by Rocket67 »
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

The Sena units will also pair with other non Sena units.  They do this by treating the non sena unit as a cellphone. 

I am highly skeptical of a claimed 4 mile range on uclear.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

The Sena units will also pair with other non Sena units.  They do this by treating the non sena unit as a cellphone. 

I am highly skeptical of a claimed 4 mile range on uclear.

The range is not exactly 4 miles, it's .4 to the next one that can relay and you can use up to 10 devices on the chain.  It's military and apparently works quite well. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »

I just txt you guys  :thumbup:
just take it slow

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »

I just txt you guys  :thumbup:

I'll give that a try then after that you can all call me crash or lefty. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »

I have a Sena SMH10.. Works fine for Libby and I
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"