Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for a new helmet  (Read 620 times)

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
Time for a new helmet
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »

The inside padding of my 8 year old Shoei Multitec has bit the dust so it is time for a new one.  I looked at some other brands at Honda of Houston today and what they had in my price range just felt like a toy helmet next to the Shoei.  Since Shoei does not make the Multitec they are hard to find in my size and the color I want.  There new one, the Neotec, is real nice but at $600.00 a little out of my price range.

Any suggestions on other brands and places in Houston that have a good inventory?  I either want another modular helmet or a good 3/4 helmet.  I can go up to about $400.00.  I can find the Multitec for $300.00 in black or silver and will get one if I do not find another brand I like.  I just wanted to see what y'all had to say.

Thanks
'02 1800C

Rod 1942

• Old Timer
Re: Time for a new helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »

Nolan makes a decent helmet in your price range. I bought mine at Honda of Houston.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »

If it's just the padding you can't replace that?  Asking because some helmet manufacturers do offer replacement pads.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:22 PM »

Hey David,

I just bought a new Nolan N104 modular. It came out in 2012 to replace the N90.
I bought it on sale on-line for $294. Here: http://www.compacc.com/p/nolan-n104-n-com-modular-helmets-solid

It's a nice helmet. Fits snugly and the large size is true to other larges I've worn before.
However, I hate the noise the stupid sun shade makes as it rattles in the up position!
I prefer to wear polarized sunglasses anyway. But if you generally wear ear plugs under your helmet you won't hear the rattle.

Hears a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n-104/

The cheek pads are tight but I think that's normal for a new helmet until they get broken in.
I enjoy how well the air flows through the helmet over my head and it comes with a pin-lock system for the face shield.
It is also ready to add Nolan's blue-tooth communication device. Called N-Com.

Best to try one on to see how it fits you and if the built-in sun shade might rest on your nose in the down position.

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:33 AM »

David I boughy  the nolans from this store,mmthis guys are great to deal with and they carrie parts for the helmets  :thumbup:
ridersdiscount (228768)99.6% positive feedbackMember since2005Location:US
They have every model up to 50% off, look them up on ebay  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:00:56 AM by alejandro1800vtx »
just take it slow

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:26:26 AM »

I also just bought a Nolan 104 from Houston Honda. Had it on close out at about $300. You might also try Revzilla.com. The Nolans seem to me to run a little small. My last helmet was an x this Nolan is a 2x. maybe I just became a fathead.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »

I got my last helmet at Discount Motorcycle Tire. They have a HUGE selection. That's one thing I really dislike about helmets. Each of the manufacturers has a different shape inside and one company's large is another company's medium. So I just tried them on until I found 2 or 3 that FIT and then made a decision from that short group.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »

If it's just the padding you can't replace that?  Asking because some helmet manufacturers do offer replacement pads.
Mine is an older version and it is not replaceable.  I called Shoei about it.  The current version is fully replaceable.
'02 1800C

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »

Libby and I use the HJC IS-33 3/4..built in shades...air vents...have taken the pads out and washed them and put them back in with no problem....$135 retail.  I had a little plastic piece fall off the top slide for the shade.. wrote HJC directly and they sent me four..only needed one.  free of charge. 
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »

Mine is an older version and it is not replaceable.  I called Shoei about it.  The current version is fully replaceable.

Screw those guys...........just get yourself a doo rag and show them up....... :ohwow:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »

Screw those guys...........just get yourself a doo rag and show them up....... :ohwow:
That is what I plan to do for now.
'02 1800C

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »

Just in case you are interested, I just bought a GMax Modular and I really like it.  Price is right as well. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal