Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rust removal from a gas tank - Writeup  (Read 7343 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Rust removal from a gas tank - Writeup
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »

Thought I'd drop in to see what was going on here.  It's been a while.
I'm still riding quite a bit even though I've gone back to work.  Haven't ridden the X in a few years because it has a load of bad gas in it, so it's just sitting.  I really need to get of my Cranberries and get it running again.  I'm sure the tank is full of crap and I'll have to clean it as described above.  I had to do the same thing to one of my R1s that I let sit too long with only a little fuel in the tank.  Ethanol gas sucks.

My curse striking birds is still ongoing.  I just hit my sixth bird the other night.
On a ride near Pattison and hit an owl carrying a rat or a rabbit.  It was pitch black and I was in the middle of a 65 mph turn on the R1 and he flew across my path carrying his dinner.  It happened so fast I only had time to close the throttle and duck.  He (or his dinner) struck the top of my helmet which broke an air foil.  I was lucky it was a light strike and he didn't hit me right in the face.  A 3-4 pound object at 65 mph would probably take you off the bike if not break your neck.  I'm glad the only blood on my helmet was the owls or his dinner .............and not mine.

AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

Holly mackerel King Fish, sounds like a really close call!! :ohwow:
Watch out for those birds, never hit one myself.  :thumbup:

\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »

I took a bird to the helmet at 60mph once. Was a small bird so didnt do any damage just startled me a bit.
It's all just part of the adventure!

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:26 AM »

I don't recommend the nuts/bolts/bb's method, just because it an be a real pain to get them back out of honda gas tanks.  I use a different method:

Start with a tank with everything off/out of it.  Strainers, fuel pumps, whatever.  Nothing but tank metal left.  Buy a couple of rubber caps to plug off the vent line, and maybe a big cork for the fuel cap hole.

Go buy a gallon jug of muriatic acid from the pool store, and a bottle of naval jelly (maybe 8 oz or so).

Shake hell out of the tank upside down to get out as much grit and loose junk as possible out of the gas cap.  Expect a workout on a honda tank.

Now, in a plastic bucket, pour naval jelly and a gallon of water in and mix.get it nice and smooth.

Do whatever you gotta to prevent any muriatic acid (HCL) from getting on the paint in this next step.  I use a paper funnel and a measuring cup.

Plug tank up, and fill about 2/3's with water from hose.  Slowly add 4-5 cups of muriatic acid.  SLOWLY.  DO NOT PUT ACID IN TANK FIRST.  WATER FIRST.

Plug up gas cap, then slosh mixture around inside tank for a couple of minutes.  Repeat every five minutes for about half an hour.

Turn on a garden hose, and find a good place to dump the tank.  the mix isn't all that dangerous, but it will discolor concrete.  flood the outside of the tank, remove cap, and dump tank while flooding paint area and anything acid might touch with lots of water.  Aim the hose at the mix you dumped out and dilute the hell out of it.  acid dilutes very fast and well.

Now, before inside of tank can dry, pour the naval jelly mixture into tank.  Slosh it around and rotate tank in all directions to be sure inside is completely coated with the mix. Do this 4 or 5 times, then dump out the mix in the same manner as before, with a hose and tons of water. 

Set the tank upright and let dry 20 minutes.  Flip the tank, let dry 20 minutes.  Then, rinse insides with water.

Remove all plugs, and let tank dry in a nice warm place ( I always set tank in sun) for several days.  Tank needs to be bone dry before you put gas back in it.

Thats the process.  The muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will dissolve the rust and any remaining varnish/old fuel right out of the tank, and usually leaves it nice and clean.  Naval jelly is basically phosphoric acid.  It will leave a long-lasting phosphate coating inside the tank that prevents the flash rusting that WILL happen after you clean one out.

Works for me.  Good luck!
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »

IMHO and experience..............Using Muriatic Acid is too harsh and will leave light surface rust when your done unless you find a way to totally neutralize the acid before the surface dries.  Phosphoric does the trick without being too harmful to other components like painted surfaces and is easier to neutralize with baking soda.  It also cures/oxidizes the steel with a slight grayish tint which doesn't rust so easy after your done.  I've done three tanks in my life. One with Muriatic two with Phosphoric. Phosphoric is a no brainer.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

nothing better than Metal Rescue, i did the Vstrom tank with, after spending hrs tumbling the tank w drywall nails i filled up with metal rescue and let seat for 48 hrs inside tank looks brand new, is paint safe, is non toxic, and works like magic  :thumbup:

btw can be reusable few times aint cheap but works like magic
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:59:52 AM by alejandro1800vtx »
just take it slow

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag