Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2005 1800F Sputter and missfiring  (Read 1521 times)

wolverine

• Tejano
  • He has put eternity in their hearts. —Eccl.3:11
2005 1800F Sputter and missfiring
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »

Hey,
I have a problem with My X loosing power stalling sputtering and generally running terrible. It occurred a few times after getting wet. The latest was Saturday after washing it and going for a short ride. After about 3 miles it started loosing power and sputtering. I had changed my gas cap after a time before, when we were caught in a big rain storm going out towards Chappell Hill. I also changed the pugs, drained the tank, put fresh gas in with Gumout fuel system cleaner. Changed the oil as well. Did not see any water in the gas after draining, but after adding the fresh gas and new pugs, it ran great. So I drained the tank, checked for evidence of water, did not find any sign. Cleaned the plugs and added 2 gal. of fresh gas with the Gumout cleaner. Went for a short ride on Sunday and right as the light came on for low fuel it started acting up again. Just wondering if there could have been water in the reserve area of the tank that once it got low, it drew it through?Is it water in gas related? Could it be wet electrical? any suggestions before hauling it to the dealer would be appreciated.
Thanks,
DavidO
2005 VTX1800F S1, Tribal on Titanium. Corbin seat w/studs, sweetest girl in the world on the backrest. Willie n Max saddle bags, Kuryakyn Maltese cross foot pegs n grips. Hondaline windshield. Tank bra. 200 Metzler ME 880 Front n Rear 31,000 n climbing.

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
Re: 2005 1800F Sputter and missfiring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »

The ground fix is a good place to start!  :thumbup:

Do you have a stock air filter and housing? If so, check to make sure that little tube on the back side of the housing is clean (can't remember what it is called) and not full of gunk. I neglected mine for a long while and some of that gunk would suck up into the intake. After I cleaned that, I didn't have any more issues.

wolverine

• Tejano
  • He has put eternity in their hearts. —Eccl.3:11
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I do have stock breather set up with a KnN filter. I will check that first since it's easier. I will tackle the grounding issue over the next few days. I still want to ride so it's hard to put it down but I know I should.
Ride safe. God bless.
2005 VTX1800F S1, Tribal on Titanium. Corbin seat w/studs, sweetest girl in the world on the backrest. Willie n Max saddle bags, Kuryakyn Maltese cross foot pegs n grips. Hondaline windshield. Tank bra. 200 Metzler ME 880 Front n Rear 31,000 n climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal