Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Spark plugs question  (Read 14254 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Spark plugs question
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

Not since the Nova Scotia trip.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »

dang you blowing tubes at work????, is not that sexual harassment   :rofl: :rofl: :no no:
just take it slow

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »

Well gee, I guess those Autolites worked great after all..............................

I must've imagined that my outboard ran like crap. And I guess I hallucinated that several RESPECTED marine mechanics all told me to never, ever under any circumstances, put Autolites in my engine, even though Autolite says they're made for my engine. Pardon the hell out of me!

Take a chill pill Jim.  :simmadown:
In my effort NOT to offend you.............the FIRST thing I said was that I wasn't trying to argue with you and these were my experiences and that everyone experiences are their own.  I never said you were wrong, that your out board DIDN'T run like crap, you hallucinated or you didn't know what you were talking about.  You stated your experience with them and I stated mine.  Nothing more..........nothing less.  My comments were not a personal attack on you.  It's all posted for the purpose of learning what everyone has experienced.  It a sharing of knowledge...........not an attack on you. I suggest you read posts with more of an open mind. Please don't read something into a post that isn't there.  Everyone is not out to get you or make you look like an idiot.  I'm certainly not.  I respect your opinion and the right that everyone has to state theirs.

Please read the first sentence again and understand............MY response to your post is MY opinion about Autolite plugs, not a personal attack on you. While my comments and experience are different from yours, it's not a critic of your opinion or experience with them and it wasn't meant to be.  I'm sorry if you perceived it that way.

In the words of the great scholar Rodney King............"Can't we all just get along?"   ;D
************************************************************************************************** 

Mike, been busy and just now got back to this. Sorry it took so long. I didn't take your response personally; what I did have a problem with is that even though it's common knowledge that the Autolites won't work in those outboards, Autolite continues to recommend them for that application. That's just wrong. I can't respect a company that markets their product that way. They're either too incompetent to test their product and to gather feedback from the industry, or they just don't care that they are selling a product that they know won't work. Either way, they won't get a penny of my money.

02 1800C

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Jim

We can all learn something new every day if we look for answers.  Me included...........So I looked deeper into why Autolite plugs do not work well in outboards as you claimed.  Looks like there may be evidence of this.
I've always known CDI ignition systems (like those used on outboards and on some bikes) need a resistor type plug, but I didn't know there are  different types of resistor plugs on the market.  
There are the Monolithic Graphite and Glass type which are both high resistance type plugs and then there is an Inductive Coil type which offers a much lower resistance that is preffered on CDI systems.
The two types can have a noticeable effect on the performance of low spark voltage CDI systems, due to their internal resistance, especially if the ignition system produces marginal spark voltage.  After researching different plug types and talking to three different Autolite engineers and an NGK engineer, Autolite admitted their plugs are the Monolithic Graphite type and not Inductive Coil type.  They stated the Monolithic Graphite type is not the best type for marine CDI systems due to the noramlly low ignition voltage.  That explains why they sometimes don't work as well with a marine CDI ignition systems that needs a lower resistance type plug to produce the best spark.  The Autolite engineers admitted they have always just cataloged their Monolithic Graphite type resistor plugs for marine applications because that's the only resistor type they made, but as of just last year, they are now making and cataloging four new Inductive resistor type plugs specifically for marine applications.  Looks like NGK and Champion are the only two other plug manufactures I found that make Inductive resistor type plugs.  I always used NGK "Z" type plugs in my outboard boat and any motorcycles that ran CDI ignitions and I didn't have any problems.  Now I know why.  I've never had experiance with Autolites in marine applications so I haven't experenced the problems you've seen.

This is some of the info I found on the internet about the different type resistor plugs.

NGK's explination of Resistor type plugs for outboards.
Inductive Resistor Spark Plugs Specified as original equipment in a variety of late-model outboard engines, spark plugs with an inductive resistor are utilized when a CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) system is used. The resistor plug is necessary to reduce radio frequency interference (RFI), to prevent interference with the sophisticated electronics onboard modern boats.
Most resistor spark plugs use a "monolithic" resistor, generally made of graphite and glass materials, to filter the electrical voltage as it passes through the center electrode. This "filter" reduces RFI to an acceptable level. Although this type of resistor develops from 1000 to 5000 ohms of resistance, there is no significant loss of voltage to affect ignitability at the electrodes in modern automotive ignition systems.
However, outboard marine engines utilizing a CDI system have a much lower voltage output, which would be compromised by a standard resistor plug. Therefore, an inductive resistor is used. In this method, a coiled nickel wire is inserted into the center stem, and held in place by a spring.
This coil basically acts as an electromagnet, inducing a magnetic field around the center stem, creating a natural "field" resistor, and reduces RFI to acceptable levels. This method creates only 40 ohms of physical resistance, compared to the 1000 to 5000 ohms of resistance in "monolithic" resistor plugs.
While Inductive Resistor Spark Plugs cost more than standard resistor plugs, they provide major benefits in late-model marine outboard applications.

SparkPlug.com  explination of Resistor type plugs for outboards.
CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) for outboard marine motors is basically a refined version of the old magneto ignition system, except the points have been replaced with electronic circuitry. CDI is used on some (not all) late model marine engines such as Johnson and Evinrude, and some late model motorcycle engines. Do not use a "regular" resistor type plg on a motor with this type of Capacitive Discharge Ignition as this will cause misfire and poor performance. Rather, make sure to use a plug with an inductive type resistor (such as a Champion Q-type or NGK Z-type). Use of non-inductive resistor type plugs on these motors can create an open circuit within the spark plug (it will become a dead plug).
Modified automotive racing motors also have a form of CDI, (such as Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel), these should not be confused with the marine or powersport systems, please refer to High output ignition systems for more information.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:36:39 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1