Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Spark plugs question  (Read 14252 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Spark plugs question
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

More recent service notes:

Date 4-22-11   
Mileage 35825      
Spark Plug Replacement             $ 21.61

I decided to check all plug conditions during my extensive polishing of all the chrome pieces.
In general, the plugs are again very fouled with considerable build up for the short amount of time they have been installed.  Only 4923 miles on these plugs at this time.  This is disappointing as I expected the hotter heat range Autolites with a more projected tip would be less prone to fouling even though my VTX  has a rich OEM fuel map.  As seen before with the original OEM plugs, the deep socket location plugs have much more fouling than the shallow location plugs.  These plugs are the Autolite XP 3924 (Iridium) with a .040” gap, which are one range hotter than original OEM and are equivalent to the NGK  IFR 5L11 (which are used in 2003 and later VTXs) but they still are fouling much more than they should and particularly in the deep socket plug locations.   I am considering running a one range hotter plug in the deep socket locations to help burn off the accumulations that seem to be so problematic with this plug location on the VTX.  Even these Autolites in the shallow sockets appear to be on the rich side and have too much build up for such a short amount of mileage.  This heavy fouling is most likely due to the OEM fuel map and/or poor flame turbulance design of the head.  The rich OEM fuel map will cause all plugs to foul more than usual (which it is doing), but poor combustion turbulance will be evident on specific plug locations as can be seen on the deep socket plugs.  I will install new plugs (Bosch 4312+2 Platinum) and check their performance before adding any fuel additives to eliminate them as a possible fouling contributors.

Today I installed Bosch 4312+2 (Platinum) which I had as spares. These are one range hotter than the OEM plug (equal to the 2003 VTX plug heat range selection) and are the same heat range as the previous Autolite XP 3924 (Iridium).  These Boschs have a gap of .055” out of the box.  The ground arms were not adjusted for gap.  Do not attempt to adjust gap as ground arms may break off.  These plugs have a .100” shorter projection than the Autolites because the two ground arms on the Boschs extend only slightly past the end of the ceramic insulator and the single fine wire electrode which is flush with the ceramic insulator.  The shorter tip projection may be a negitive factor in tubulance cleaning of the plug and will be reviewed when these plugs are evaluated in the future. The Autolite XP 3924 single ground arm is a conventional design and extends past its center projecting electrode and bends toward the plug center to meet the electrode, hence the added length.   The Bosch projection is .900” measured from the back side of the gasket to the end of the ground electrode.  The Autolites measure 1.000”.  The Bosch ceramic pocket well depth is .480” which is .020” deeper than the Autolites so they should be hotter and resist fouling better.
I will see how well these plugs resist fouling.  I may have to use two different plug heat ranges to keep the deep socket plugs from fouling.  Dual heat range plugs should only be considered after the Power Commander and the larger K&N air filter is installed and the A/F ratio is corrected down to a more reasonable ratio.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:04:21 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Mike, be careful about installing Autolites. I've tried them in high-performance outboards when I couldn't get my preferred plugs. Autolite's site specifically recommended them. They were crap. Several GOOD marine mechanics with solid experience confirmed my results. Autolite will recommend their products anywhere they will fit, but they fall way short of the mark in many of those applications. Run what works and leave the junk to the rookies.
02 1800C

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »

Mike, be careful about installing Autolites. I've tried them in high-performance outboards when I couldn't get my preferred plugs. Autolites site specifically recommended them. They were crap. Several GOOD marine mechanics with solid experience confirmed my results. Autolite will recommend their products anywhere they will fit, but they fall way short of the mark in many of those applications. Run what works and leave the junk to the rookies.

Not trying argue with you because everyone’s experience can be different, but when I was turning wrenches for a living, I never had any problems with Autolite plugs in cars, bikes or anything I found or put them in.  I'm not saying I love them, just haven't had any problems with them.  I can't say I've ever had any problems with any specific manufacture plug except only to say that in my old two stroke bikes, Champion plugs always seemed to run one heat range colder than everyone else’s plug selections. They always seemed to foul out quicker than any others.   As a result I always ran one heat range hotter if it was a Champion.  From what I remember that was the case.  Understand that just because a brand has a recommended plug for an application, that doesn't mean that's the best selection or a direct cross over from another brands plug for the application.  Understand that a brand posting selection charts may error on the cool side of the best heat range selection to avoid potential major engine damage issues at the expense of early fouling or poor performance.  When changing from OEM brand to another brand you should always check the heat range of the plug in your engine by proforming WOT plug chops to make sure all is well.  This is very important on marine engines because they run at wide open throttle (WOT) so much.

I didn't have any problems with Autolites in my VTX when I had them in their other than getting heavily fouled due to the rich OEM fuel curve, which isn't a fault of the plug.  The only reason I tried them was because that was one of the brands AutoZone had in stock for the VTX.  I bought Autolite and Bosch to see how they would fit and run in the X compared to the original plugs.  Nothing I've put in there runs any different than the OEM's from a performance stand point and I didn't expect anything different.  My experimentation was to see how different brands might run cleaner due to their different tip designs and projection into the combustion chamber. Plugs that project deeper into the combustion turbulance and that have more exposed conductor tip generally burn cleaner if they don't obstruct flame propagation so much as to hurt performance.
In my experience, plug brand makes no difference in performance, but plug materials of construction does make a big difference. Platinum was a big improvement over standard Copper core plugs to the same degree Iridium plugs are a big improvement over Platinum plugs. The conductivity and hardness factors of the conductor material are what makes the noticeable differences between a plugs performance and life span.

If the heat range, materials of construction and internal resistance is the same when comparing plug brands, my experience shows there no noticeable difference in performance or longevity. Why would there be? Once the flame front is ignited a plugs job is done.  Any brand claims to the contrary is just marketing hype.
Now if you alter the voltage of the spark (by raising it) or lower the resistance of the plug (using different materials of construction which have less resistance like Platinum or Iridium versus Copper), that can make a noticeable difference in performance. Either can produce the same net result.  But doing that is not comparing apples to apples between brands if internal resistance if different.  I have routinly checked a plugs resistance when changing them and found there is basically no difference, if the materials of construction are the same.

See my post #33 for more info on internal resistance of different types of resistor plugs.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:12:25 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

"Not trying argue with you "  but
 :blahblah: :blahblah:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:55:23 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »

Well gee, I guess those Autolites worked great after all..............................

I must've imagined that my outboard ran like crap. And I guess I hallucinated that several RESPECTED marine mechanics all told me to never, ever under any circumstances, put Autolites in my engine, even though Autolite says they're made for my engine. Pardon the hell out of me!
02 1800C

RedDragon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »

We all knew you would come around Jim!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »

Well gee, I guess those Autolites worked great after all..............................

I must've imagined that my outboard ran like crap. And I guess I hallucinated that several RESPECTED marine mechanics all told me to never, ever under any circumstances, put Autolites in my engine, even though Autolite says they're made for my engine. Pardon the hell out of me!

Take a chill pill Jim.  :simmadown:
In my effort NOT to offend you.............the FIRST thing I said was that I wasn't trying to argue with you and these were my experiences and that everyone experiences are their own.  I never said you were wrong, that your out board DIDN'T run like crap, you hallucinated or you didn't know what you were talking about.  You stated your experience with them and I stated mine.  Nothing more..........nothing less.  My comments were not a personal attack on you.  It's all posted for the purpose of learning what everyone has experienced.  It a sharing of knowledge...........not an attack on you. I suggest you read posts with more of an open mind. Please don't read something into a post that isn't there.  Everyone is not out to get you or make you look like an idiot.  I'm certainly not.  I respect your opinion and the right that everyone has to state theirs.

Please read the first sentence again and understand............MY response to your post is MY opinion about Autolite plugs, not a personal attack on you. While my comments and experience are different from yours, it's not a critic of your opinion or experience with them and it wasn't meant to be.  I'm sorry if you perceived it that way.

In the words of the great scholar Rodney King............"Can't we all just get along?"   ;D  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:50:03 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

:pot: :pot:
I always miss the good stuff, but it is so very nice to be in BC Canada, only issue is they don't really like to give work visa to US  ::)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

What you trying to say in plain language is "your a coonass stuck in Canada with no crawdaddys or boudan". There is lots of cold  :c :c :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »

What you trying to say in plain language is "your a coonass stuck in Canada with no crawdaddys or boudan". There is lots of cold  :c :c :c :c

Right lots of cold beer, problem is I can't have any, staying in a camp in the middle of moose country and they do not allow any beer, wine or any mind altering goodies.
Actually have drug dogs come in random times, like a prison camp.  :ohwow: :ohwow:
Took a ride last night and moose were at every watering hole, deer and I mean big deer every where, saw a few bison and elk. Got back to the camp around 9:30 first thing I had to do was blow the tube to show I had no drinks while out of the camp.  :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

RedDragon

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »

Right lots of cold beer, problem is I can't have any, staying in a camp in the middle of moose country and they do not allow any beer, wine or any mind altering goodies.
Actually have drug dogs come in random times, like a prison camp.  :ohwow: :ohwow:
Took a ride last night and moose were at every watering hole, deer and I mean big deer every where, saw a few bison and elk. Got back to the camp around 9:30 first thing I had to do was blow the tube to show I had no drinks while out of the camp.  :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss:

Man, you sure do like those crappy jobs!  :stickpoke:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »

I've never been to prison, but this is what I think it must be like  :-\

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

You can say you have a job.................Sometimes work is a bummer but it does bring in the money. Good for you.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »

I've never been to prison, but this is what I think it must be like  :-\

Sounds just like working offshore.  At least you get great food.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »

Seen any of these lately ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal