Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Meet and Greet  (Read 5554 times)

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
Re: Meet and Greet
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

That's a nice report!  How did the fairing "fare"??  ;D

Todd

• Tejano
  • HA HA Avatar works! (now if I'd only update it)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

I rarely get on here, especially @ night anymore.  Fairing?  Well.............  Its not there, yet.  It still needs work.  I can say for certain, that after this many miles, I know that fairing now, and exactly what I want to do.  Also, check out my fairing post on VTXOA.  I'm Todd2 there.  OK here goes:

The bike handles ROCK SOLID in all conditions: 100 mph, fierce crosswinds, on-coming semis - never wobbled a bit.

I'll need lowers.  I will install my Freedom Wings, but I'll need lowers also.  I belive I'll need both.  A lot of wind blows up from under the fairing over the tank and hits my shoulders and face (ears).  Remember, I raised my fairing and headlight to match my Areaomatch 6" risers and Baron X bars, so stock height wouldn't be as bad, but I believe still not what I'm looking for.

The new quick-release Memphis Shade brackets SUCK!  They slip backwards in the windstream (recall I have the 15" shield) allowing the fairing to tilt back so far that the radio hits my tac.  And I tightened the HOLEY CRAP out of them - no way will they hold.  (I "fixed" it for the remainder of my trip with a bottle of two cycle oil wedged between the fairng and riser.)  I also discoverd that the quick release will too quickly release with a slight pull forward - then just lift and everything (fairing, radio and speakers) walks off in about 1 second.  Totally unacceptable to me.

Hey!  Where did you get your adjustable "xxx xxx" TURNBUCKLE assemblies you use to steady your bags?  I'm going to add them between my fairing and handlebars to keep the fairing from moving back and walking off.

Don't get me wrong.  Overall, I'm very pleased with my fairing.  I'm just answering your question, and stating my opinions to help others make the right decision for them.  It still needs work, though, but in the end I believe I will be very satisfied and it will be exactly what I wanted - then I'll get it painted. :)  I may even move my headlight farther forward (after talking to you at the LSR).  Maybe not as far as you want yours, but I'd definitely think it would look better farther forward now.  I like that idea after looking at mine in a few dozen parking lots for a while.

Biggest problem right now - my bike still won't start when 'warm'.   >:( >:( >:(  I just confirmed that before getting online tonight.  So, that's kinda my first priority now.  Going after fuel delivery issues next!  (I'm convinced its not electrical, anymore.)  Wish me luck!

Good luck with your fairing install, too!  You're gonna love it!

Todd

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:38:49 AM by Todd »
Swing the Swappers!

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »

I rarely get on here, especially @ night anymore.  Fairing?  Well.............  Its not there, yet.  It still needs work.  I can say for certain, that after this many miles, I know that fairing now, and exactly what I want to do.  Also, check out my fairing post on VTXOA.  I'm Todd2 there.  OK here goes:

The bike handles ROCK SOLID in all conditions: 100 mph, fierce crosswinds, on-coming semis - never wobbled a bit.

I'll need lowers.  I will install my Freedom Wings, but I'll need lowers also.  I belive I'll need both.  A lot of wind blows up from under the fairing over the tank and hits my shoulders and face (ears).  Remember, I raised my fairing and headlight to match my Areaomatch 6" risers and Baron X bars, so stock height wouldn't be as bad, but I believe still not what I'm looking for.

The new quick-release Memphis Shade brackets SUCK!  They slip backwards in the windstream (recall I have the 15" shield) allowing the fairing to tilt back so far that the radio hits my tac.  And I tightened the HOLEY CRAP out of them - no way will they hold.  (I "fixed" it for the remainder of my trip with a bottle of two cycle oil wedged between the fairng and riser.)  I also discoverd that the quick release will too quickly release with a slight pull forward - then just lift and everything (fairing, radio and speakers) walks off in about 1 second.  Totally unacceptable to me.

Hey!  Where did you get your adjustable "toggle bolt" assemblies you use to steady your bags?  I'm going to add them between my fairing and handlebars to keep the fairing from moving back and walking off.

Don't get me wrong.  Overall, I'm very pleased with my fairing.  I'm just answering your question, and stating my opinions to help others make the right decision for them.  It still needs work, though, but in the end I believe I will be very satisfied and it will be exactly what I wanted - then I'll get it painted. :)  I may even move my headlight farther forward (after talking to you at the LSR).  Maybe not as far as you want yours, but I'd definitely think it would look better farther forward now.  I like that idea after looking at mine in a few dozen parking lots for a while.

Biggest problem right now - my bike still won't start when 'warm'.   >:( >:( >:(  I just confirmed that before getting online tonight.  So, that's kinda my first priority now.  Going after fuel delivery issues next!  (I'm convinced its not electrical, anymore.)  Wish me luck!

Good luck with your fairing install, too!  You're gonna love it!

Todd

Those assemblies were made by Dan (pepsX), but shouldn't be too hard to make.  He just used some aluminum rod cut to size, drilled them with a drill press and then threaded one end for right-hand bolts and the other end for left-hand bolts.  Then we put two swivel-head eye bolts in along with lock nuts so the eye bolts wouldn't back themselves out.

I'm glad that I went with the more permanent mounts for the fairing.  Whenever I get the fairing raised to where I want it and add a few more doo-dads, I should be ready for paint.  At that time, I will convert some of the other wires for the stereo into quick-disconnects, and then put them all in the same area.  That way, to remove the fairing, all I'll have to do is disconnect the wires, remove four bolts and pull it off.  It should only take 5-6 minutes tops.  I've read about too many people not having good luck with the quick disconnects.

And I hope you get the bike fixed, too!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »

What does CP stand for?
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Dusty

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »

What does CP stand for?

Cycle Pilot  :stickpoke:  :couch:  :hmm:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

What does CP stand for?
It says he is from Germany!  ::)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »

What does CP stand for?
It says he is from Germany!  ::)

And just how in the HELL did you come up with that young'un?  :stickpoke: :violin:  Think Freds.... :t

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »

Name:  repromy09
Position:  Trailer Queen
Date Registered:  October 03, 2009, 08:28:44 AM
Last Active:  Today at 01:58:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AIM:   
MSN:   
YIM:   
Email:  hidden 
Current Status:   Offline 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Time: December 14, 2009, 07:02:03 PM
Language: 
Member since 2004

Dusty

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

AIM:   
MSN:   
YIM:   

Language: 

You got a problem with Germany? Maybe he's gonna come to BBT. I'LL HAVE A CAN OF SOURKROUT. I'll leave it to Mr. International ---------> Gumbo to come up with the main Coarse.

:c

Dusty

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »

AIM:   
MSN:   
YIM:   

Language: 

I still don't see the CP =  Germany......... :simmadown:   :pot:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 07:55:09 PM »

CP= COW POOP!!  ;D  THE POST STICKS!!  ;D
Member since 2004