Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why did you buy a VTX?  (Read 4607 times)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
Re: Why did you buy a VTX?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 03:27:54 PM »

Why I bought the X, like many of you guys, I did my research; it was between Honda or Yamaha. After further research, I decided on the X, and this is how it panned out. Get some popcorn, sodas, snacks, beer, etc. and your bathroom break for this one.

I used to own a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I had her decked out with V&H pipes, Mustang Seat, engine guard, bags, chrome, etc. I loved that bike, but it was not powerful enough to carry me and at that time my girl friend (which later she became my wife ;D) so I started doing research on what to get.

During this time my wife and I got engaged, so I decided to sell the bike instead, this way I could get rid of debt and pay for the wedding. Got married and a few months later I start getting the ridding itch. So I started looking again. I found an Orange 2004 VTX 1800S with V&H pipes, a mapped PCIII and wind shield. Took it for a test drive and showed it to my wife, she liked it, but said that we needed to get out of debt a little more before we could buy a bike  :-\ . I still kept my eye out for a bike. During this time, I kept dropping hints to my wife about a bike and how good it would be for both of us to ride again, etc. After much insisting she said, go ahead and find one, if it’s at the right price, we’ll buy it.

Now I really start looking for a bike, but I decided, now that I have her blessing, I’ll get a new one. So I sent emails to all the stealers in Central Texas (from Waco to San Antonio) and I told them what I was looking for and that they where competing with other stealers, I got some good offers, and some where just plain ridiculous. You would think when you tell the stealers that they are competing against other stealers; they will give you a better price than MSRP. Some did not get the point.
While I was waiting for there quotes to come back, I also decided to visit Woods Fun Center and Georgetown Honda to get quotes and tell them they where competing against each other (I wanted to compare there price via the internet and in person) While driving back from Woods (my last stop) I got a call from my wife asking where was I, I told her that I was driving home from Woods, with some great quotes from Woods and Georgetown Honda. She tells me, you know we can’t afford a bike at this time. That took me by surprise when she had told me the go ahead.

I got home all excited and told her of the quotes that I got from them, and how I’m making everyone compete against each other, etc. My wife then go’s off on me, I won’t go in to details, but I was surprised, I ask her, what is wrong? She spins around and leaves me there, I’m thinking, it’s just that time of the month. My wife quickly comes back with a gift bag and tells me, Happy Birth Day. I tell her, you know my b-day is not in a couple of months, she tells me just open the da*n bag. I open it, and it’s a pregnancy test, which came back positive. I’m stunned; I now realized why my wife was acting a little wacky. Personally, I was not thinking of my wife getting pregnant this soon, but it happened. So the bike get’s pushed back, again.

Months go by, my wife and I are happy that we are going to have our first child and get prepared for it, for you parents out there, you know what I mean. Buy the crib, clothes, car seat, etc. During this time, I get the ridding itch again, so I start the insinuations, again. I get her blessing, but she tells me it has to be a used bike with all the add-ons that I want, she will not approve any spending on pipes, chrome etc. On the search I go.

After searching for a while, I found the bike at a stealer. It was a black 2005 VTX 1300R. What a beauty, V&H pipes, Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger, Windshield, chrome, etc. I tried to negotiate with the stealer, but he said no, and that he was not budging. So I told my self, it was not meant to be. I kept searching. One day in December, I decided to visit the stealers web site, the bike that I originally saw, was still there, I could not believe it. I went over again and see if he wanted to negotiate again. I told him that I was there a few months ago and that he did not want to negotiate, and I was hoping that he was willing to negotiate this time, because now he had the bike for a while. I also told him that the New Year was around the corner and the bike will loose more of its value. He then starts telling me that the bike is in such great condition and has all of these upgrades and ridding season was about to begin, that he probably can sell it even for more. I told the stealer, I was willing to take it out of his hands before the year ended; all I wanted was a better price. If I agreed, all I needed was to go to my bank and in a few days he would have the money. I reminded him again that I can wait until the next year and buy it then, but he will end up loosing more money. He mulled it over and gave me the price that I wanted to pay a few months earlier. So I picked my bike Christmas week, that was my Christmas present, but the best present I received was on December 9th, the birth of my daughter. That was the best present that I could have asked for.

I hope you guys liked my story.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

sober

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »

My story is short...just like me : )

I took the MSF course during superbowl weekend.  Went shopping for a bike the weekend before Valentines day, mostly looking for a used bike. I was leaning towards a 600-700cc cruiser (this would be my first bike...ever).  But when I sat on a 1300 VTX...it literally fit (I'm anout 5' 6'in sneakers).  Along with the spoked wheels and all the accessories that were already on the bike, and after the 'stealer' turned the key and reved the motor...I was hooked.  Although the test ride did scare the bejesus out of me (big big difference between the 200cc scooter I learned on a few weeks before).  I had the bike delivered and it arrived on Valentines day when I got home from work : )  Best day ever!

Although now...months later...I am kind of eyeing an 1800...maybe in a few years...and after I win the lottery  ;)

iluvink

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 08:11:24 PM »

Why I bought the X, like many of you guys, I did my research; it was between Honda or Yamaha. After further research, I decided on the X, and this is how it panned out. Get some popcorn, sodas, snacks, beer, etc. and your bathroom break for this one.

I used to own a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I had her decked out with V&H pipes, Mustang Seat, engine guard, bags, chrome, etc. I loved that bike, but it was not powerful enough to carry me and at that time my girl friend (which later she became my wife ;D) so I started doing research on what to get.

During this time my wife and I got engaged, so I decided to sell the bike instead, this way I could get rid of debt and pay for the wedding. Got married and a few months later I start getting the ridding itch. So I started looking again. I found an Orange 2004 VTX 1800S with V&H pipes, a mapped PCIII and wind shield. Took it for a test drive and showed it to my wife, she liked it, but said that we needed to get out of debt a little more before we could buy a bike  :-\ . I still kept my eye out for a bike. During this time, I kept dropping hints to my wife about a bike and how good it would be for both of us to ride again, etc. After much insisting she said, go ahead and find one, if it’s at the right price, we’ll buy it.

Now I really start looking for a bike, but I decided, now that I have her blessing, I’ll get a new one. So I sent emails to all the stealers in Central Texas (from Waco to San Antonio) and I told them what I was looking for and that they where competing with other stealers, I got some good offers, and some where just plain ridiculous. You would think when you tell the stealers that they are competing against other stealers; they will give you a better price than MSRP. Some did not get the point.
While I was waiting for there quotes to come back, I also decided to visit Woods Fun Center and Georgetown Honda to get quotes and tell them they where competing against each other (I wanted to compare there price via the internet and in person) While driving back from Woods (my last stop) I got a call from my wife asking where was I, I told her that I was driving home from Woods, with some great quotes from Woods and Georgetown Honda. She tells me, you know we can’t afford a bike at this time. That took me by surprise when she had told me the go ahead.

I got home all excited and told her of the quotes that I got from them, and how I’m making everyone compete against each other, etc. My wife then go’s off on me, I won’t go in to details, but I was surprised, I ask her, what is wrong? She spins around and leaves me there, I’m thinking, it’s just that time of the month. My wife quickly comes back with a gift bag and tells me, Happy Birth Day. I tell her, you know my b-day is not in a couple of months, she tells me just open the da*n bag. I open it, and it’s a pregnancy test, which came back positive. I’m stunned; I now realized why my wife was acting a little wacky. Personally, I was not thinking of my wife getting pregnant this soon, but it happened. So the bike get’s pushed back, again.

Months go by, my wife and I are happy that we are going to have our first child and get prepared for it, for you parents out there, you know what I mean. Buy the crib, clothes, car seat, etc. During this time, I get the ridding itch again, so I start the insinuations, again. I get her blessing, but she tells me it has to be a used bike with all the add-ons that I want, she will not approve any spending on pipes, chrome etc. On the search I go.

After searching for a while, I found the bike at a stealer. It was a black 2005 VTX 1300R. What a beauty, V&H pipes, Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger, Windshield, chrome, etc. I tried to negotiate with the stealer, but he said no, and that he was not budging. So I told my self, it was not meant to be. I kept searching. One day in December, I decided to visit the stealers web site, the bike that I originally saw, was still there, I could not believe it. I went over again and see if he wanted to negotiate again. I told him that I was there a few months ago and that he did not want to negotiate, and I was hoping that he was willing to negotiate this time, because now he had the bike for a while. I also told him that the New Year was around the corner and the bike will loose more of its value. He then starts telling me that the bike is in such great condition and has all of these upgrades and ridding season was about to begin, that he probably can sell it even for more. I told the stealer, I was willing to take it out of his hands before the year ended; all I wanted was a better price. If I agreed, all I needed was to go to my bank and in a few days he would have the money. I reminded him again that I can wait until the next year and buy it then, but he will end up loosing more money. He mulled it over and gave me the price that I wanted to pay a few months earlier. So I picked my bike Christmas week, that was my Christmas present, but the best present I received was on December 9th, the birth of my daughter. That was the best present that I could have asked for.

zzzzzzzzzz..... :o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 08:16:14 PM by iluvink »

noble rider

• Rider
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »

Since this is my first bike, my decision was easy.  I liked the looks, it was comfortable to sit on, and the deal they made me was right.  I have not regretted the purchase yet, nor have I had any major issues in the last 2 years and 20000+ miles.
Brownsville

BigJoe

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 08:59:08 PM »

Having ridden bikes since I was 6, I thought that I knew what I wanted, but boy was I wrong.  Bike 17 was a Kawi LTD 700 that I bought used, and was beat to pieces, and had limped along for the last 8 years.  I decided that I was going to give Harley one more try, as the last Stroker Sportster that I had was a real monster (for 3000 miles at a time....) Everyone kept telling me that Harley had changed and that you don't have to spend 1 day a week with the locktight distributer's ugly wife to keep on the highway.  Being in Vegas for my grandson's 2nd birthday, I was told by my wife and daughter to take my son in law  and get out of the house.  We went to Henderson Yamaha and I just looked at some of the 1100's that were used, and really liked the red and black cruiser that was sitting out front.  $8300 OTD hmmmm I told them to start it up....wouldn't start...figures...I started to walk out and spotted a Dyna glide 2005....ok, looks great  it even started....13500.00 H.....S...!  Ok, I'm done  walk out and this guy is waiting for his new 1900 yamahammer....ask what I'm looking for...told me that he had a new Honda that he was trading in and that I should look at it...It was a 2006 VTX 1300R, had 1300 miles on it and 3 months warrenty....for $8700....one look, I was hooked...that was on July the 9th, and I have already got 2800 miles on it, Wife rides two, says that I finaly got one that doesn't "hurt my rear"  It does'nt get any better..........OH YEAH......No oil leaks...

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »

good job jarubio, i think thats the most i've read at one time in a long time. ;D ;) ;D
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »

Can i change my response to the Devil made me do it and i love it ?
Just wondering if I can.  ;D ;D O0
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

Boomer

• Old Timer
  • Ramstein area in Germany
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »

Owned an '87 1100 Shadow....the first, I think, of the "Honda Davidsons"....bought it because I didn't have to be a wrench to be able to take a ride, and loved the styling....after 5 years, sold the bike for $300 less than I paid for it....laid off riding for about 10 years, decided I wanted another bike....back to the Honda stealer with a sweat-soaked, dog-eared picture from a magazine ad of a 2003 Retro (ad probably had some body fluids on it, as well)....told the dealer "Put me in, coach!"....still loving it!

Cheers,
Boomer
'03 1800R, just shiny stuff
"You always want to start out fast, cause you never know when someone might want to race you."  6-year-old future VTXer

TexasDave

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »

Boy, there's a lot of good stories here........ hope mine is worth reading....

Back in the mid 70's I started riding with the stalwart, a used Honda 350. About 6 months later, I took it to a bike shop for some routine service and fell in love with a Kawasaki 900. Rode it home that very day. Boy, was she fast!! Quit riding in 1979 when I was selected to go to Army flight school. (The Army discouraged us from riding - said we cost too much to risk injury).

Fast forward to April 2005. I decided to look into riding again. Since several of my buddys had HD, thought that was the way to go. I picked the Softtail Night Train, but at $18,000 and no haggling, thought better. I had a guy at a car wash suggest Honda VTXs, and then tell me they were cheaper in Mississippi. I checked them out around here, then got on-line to Great River Honda in Natxhez, MS. He was a lot cheaper, by more than $1700 for the 1300C. Called the bank with drafting instructions, called the dealer and told him to get it ready, took a 6 hr drive and became the proud owner of a Black 1300C. I had V&H pipes, Mustang seat, rejetted carb, etc.... boy was she fast!

Now fast forward to June this year.... hit that proverbial rough spot and had to part with the bike.

But - I will ride again.... I'll get through this, and find another. I guess it's true, once it gets in the blood, you can't let go.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »

Owned an '87 1100 Shadow....the first, I think, of the "Honda Davidsons"....

Nope, I had an '86 700 Shadow, and I think the Harley look actually came out the year before.

The funny thing about the 700cc motor was that it was Honda's answer to the tariff that Reagan put in place to save Harley's Cranberries. Anything 750cc and above was going to pay a punitive tariff. Considering he was an actor, not a businessman, Honda said, "okay, we'll just de-bore the 750, how do you like us now?"

Funny about Boomer's comment on how his Shadow retained it's value. I bought my 700 in 1989, as a brand new holdover bike, for $2800. Sold it in 2002, (to buy the X), for $3250. Not bad, eh?  O0
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTXDEMON

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 10:47:50 PM »

well, I got a VTX because it was cheap...  can't say that any more
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal