Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sorry Harley  (Read 2203 times)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Sorry Harley
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »

As much as I like to razz a few Harley Riders from time to time and I have to take a beating back, it's generally all in fun. This article isn't funny and I truly hate this is going on for an American Icon company. 

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/buyout-rumors-and-a-federal-investigation-are-more-bad-news-for-harley-davidson

:eagle:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: Sorry Harley
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »

They have certainly had their share of QC problems.  I think they still have a good concept and are probably building the best bikes they ever have before but management has been unfocused and is trying to push out ideas that have not been thoroughly tested. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:00:51 AM »

As long as kooka nuts are willing to pay for untested good concepts, Harley will still be the top seller out there. ::) :violin:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »

Well I have a 2012 and a 2004 so I'm good.  That was a close one!!!   :ohwow:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:59 AM »

Well I have a 2012 and a 2004 so I'm good.  That was a close one!!!   :ohwow:

I am way in the clear.  Brembo's are working just fine. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »

I just wish HD would come out with something totally new that would appeal to the rest of the motorcycling world. I know they tried with Aprilla and Buell but don't think they gave them a fair shot.Something on the order of a FJR  But they still sell the majority of the big bikes sold in the U.S. Something on the order of the FJR or maybe even a duel sport. That 500 and 750 just don't get it. They must be listening to the Honda marketing people. Remember the new Valkerie, or the Rune.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »

I would venture off to say that HD needs some type of Dual Sport.  Hell.........throw in some good American built dirt bikes.  Working on getting a scrambler of some sort.  I know the Sportster is versatile but a lot of folks don't want versatile....they want already built.  I don't think there is any one model now that is obsolete because there are still a lot of genre of folks that like every single one of those models but if they broadened their build scope they would get more folks. 

With Flat track and hooligan racing making a huge comeback they would be idiots to not try and tap into that market again. 

This all doesn't go without saying that first before any of the above can be successful they better get their QC up.  I have been fortunate that I've only had to deal with two things that weren't that serious and luckily Republic HD hasn't hassled me about it either but damn in total HD needs to get their crap together. 

BTW, I freaking love the new 2016 Sportster Roadster and I would have bought it already but I built that bike about 1 year before they released it.  So I'm already one up on them. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

To be fair on the recall thing though....

I looked up 2011 Honda GL1800 and there is a brake issue and an electrical issue on some models.  Toyota recalled about half a million models due to safety defects (my sister also had a motor replaced on a 2000 Sienna Van due to issues that did not generate a recall but they replaced it out of warranty).  VW just got busted big time making their car "pollutiion compliant" by using computers to trick the inspection stations.  The VTX is not without issues, there are several issues that I fixed on mine when I got it.  My Nissan Titan (2004, first year) had a rear end replaced along with several other minor issues under "warranty" but it was really a recall later. 

So...pretty much every brand will have some problems, it's the nature of manufacturing.  Some have the processes down better than others but no matter how good the engineering and QC is, things can still happen.  So far on my 2014 FLHX I have had only the rubber plunger in the clutch replaced a couple of times but never experienced any issues with it.  I am a happy camper with the bike and it was barely more than a Boulevard M90 bagger and I got a stereo with mine. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »

one thought I had was to redesign the V rod . Turn it into a Sport touring bike. More up right or feet back set up with removable panniers and top case. They have the engine. Geared correctly, I think it would make a nice ST or maybe something like the Ducati Multistrada. oh yeah give me a call HD.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:25:56 PM by xcaliber »

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:20 AM »

one thought I had was to redesign the V rod . Turn it into a Sport touring bike. More up right or feet back set up with removable panniers and top case. They have the engine. Geared correctly, I think it would make a nice ST or maybe something like the Ducati Multistrada. oh yeah give me a call HD.

I wondered why they didn't offer the VRod engine in the Ultra yet.  I would have loved to have a SG with that motor. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:39 AM »

there you go, Maybe a smaller, sportier SG or RG.  there is so much they could do with the V Rod rather than just an uncomfortable cruiser. I would definately give HD a look if they did something like that but they just don't offer anything currently that interests me.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 06:58:18 AM »

there you go, Maybe a smaller, sportier SG or RG.  there is so much they could do with the V Rod rather than just an uncomfortable cruiser. I would definately give HD a look if they did something like that but they just don't offer anything currently that interests me.

Dang, guess you'll be trading in that wing for a Harley soon  :stickpoke:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

DEMON

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »

You guys are missing the point... not every motorcycle rider will but an HD just because the offer the type of bike he happens to ride... I would not want an HD FJR or Concours, just like I would not want a Kawasaki bagger.    A Chevy guy wont buy a Mustang.... is the same concept.  

I had a few HD bikes and they were good.  I'm not brand Loyal, but most HD folks are, when you buy a new HD they welcome you to the "Life style" and the HD family, Sport touring and dual sport is not part of that life style.   If you want that, BMW may be the family you are looking to join.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:20:08 AM by DEMON »

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »

That's the point. Read the article on the TXR Facebook page. More and more younger people aren't buying into the old Harley culture .  Harley priced them selves out of the reach of some of their loyal base customers. More and more people are like us. Don't care what you ride , just ride. Indian and Victory have made inroads into the big bagger market and others , like me, just aren't interested in the air cooled VTwin when there are better options and MC for other types of riding. HD appears to be in some trouble because they are hanging on to their culture. Anytime soon, doubt it .One thing we know is that the world changes. Gumbo, won't trade the wing on anything HD currently has to offer. Don't see them doing anything exciting anytime soon .
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:04:05 PM by xcaliber »

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »

That's the point. Read the article on the TXR Facebook page. More and more younger people aren't buying into the old Harley culture .  Harley priced them selves out of the reach of some of their loyal base customers. More and more people are like us. Don't care what you ride , just ride. Indian and Victory have made inroads into the big nagger market and others , like me, just aren't interested in the air cooled VTwin when there are better options and MC for other types of riding. HD appears to be in some trouble because they are hanging on to their culture. Anytime soon, doubt it .One thing we know is that the world changes. Gumbo, won't trade the wing on anything HD currently has to offer. Don't see them doing anything exciting anytime soon .

WHACK!!! ;D
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal