Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloudcraft, New Mexico  (Read 3890 times)

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
Cloudcraft, New Mexico
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

Brock got me hooked on long summer motorcycle trips. I'm 2 weeks into this years and headed home by July 4th.  
I thought that I'd pass on my experience in Cloudcroft. I mispelled it in the title. I suspect many of you all have been here.

Am sitting here now at 9000 feet. It rained this afternoon and the temp is in the 60's. The roads around here are lovely.
The accomodations are reasonably priced and the town is comfortable. I think that it is the most accessible 9000 square foot
elevation with pretty mountains and good roads to Houston.

It's about to 510 to Ft Stocton and another 260 from there.

If you ever want a forested mountain break that is fairly close to Houston, I recommend it.

Marty

ps..Hey Brock. Hope the family is all good.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:00:23 PM by VT-XS »
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Re: Cloudcraft, New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

:needpics:
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

jchammer123

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

I'll have to keep this place in mind.  Good looking out.  Also, pics would be nice  :agree:
Your bike is like your a**, you can wipe it as much as you want, but if you want it clean you gotta use soap and water!!!
(Taken from a member on another board)

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

went through there once as a little kid, and to this day Dad raves about the place.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »

Cloudcroft is very pretty.  In the middle of the desert and then in a little short while your in the snow.  Great snow sking and they have horse track racing.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »

:agree: Cloudcraft is very cool, I can't tell you why but Taos has always been a favorite of mine an artis town or Indian town nothing more, but it really caught my liking.  :thumbup: and got me some carbs there too back in 72.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

I stayed in Taos on the way up to Telluride. Nice town. Lots going on there.
Am in El Paso tonight. Kerrville tomorrow night. I didn't take many pics in Cloudcroft but when I get back to Houston, I'll put them up.

Bluestreak....
I think you're referring to Ruidoso. I spent two nights there.  It's only 40 miles away in the same mountain chain.
The horse track there is "Ruidoso Downs."  The ski run there is "Apache."
The people in Cloudcroft said that they have a ski run but Ruidoso is the main one in the area.

I left Cloudcroft going west this morning and dropped down into the desert in the space of about 10 travelled miles...at Alamogordo. Very pretty descent
through Lincoln National Forest.

I plan to go back just to relax at that altitude. Love the cool air. Colorado is great but I can't get excited about the ride up 285 and so forth.
I enjoy interstate 10 out through the hill country and then the West Texas desert. Posted speed in the desert on I10 is 85mph now.
Can cheat up to 90 and get to Southern New Mexico pretty fast....enjoy a few days there...and blow back.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:22:15 PM by VT-XS »
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »

Bluestreak....
I think you're referring to Ruidoso. I spent two nights there.  It's only 40 miles away in the same mountain chain.
The horse track there is "Ruidoso Downs."  The ski run there is "Apache."
The people in Cloudcroft said that they have a ski run but Ruidoso is the main one in the area.

Come to think of it........I think you're right.  We went through both on the same trip and it was twenty years ago. I do remember how nice Cloudcroft was.  They had snow at the time and Ruidoso didn't.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »

:agree: Cloudcraft is very cool, I can't tell you why but Taos has always been a favorite of mine an artis town or Indian town nothing more, but it really caught my liking.  :thumbup: and got me some carbs there too back in 72.

Taos has a great little resturant that serves a "Killer" burrito (just ask Ron), with a techno/rave dance floor.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:31:46 PM by Isorg »

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »

Tommy Bibb has his place in Cloudcroft. Don't know if you remember him, or ever met him, but he was the Principal of Blanco HS until retiring. Got in a bad motorcycle wreck while scouting some rides for BBT a few years back. He's fine now, but not on the bike anymore. He made it to the last CenTex organized ride, of which 85% of the folks there were from H-Town. He's in the second pic here:

http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=13843.msg145537#msg145537

The once fearless leader of the Texas VTX group, RD, has a place in Ruidoso.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »

I'll second everything said about Cloudcroft.  I'm in Cloudcroft as I'm typing this.  Have been here a couple weeks and will be headed back to Texas in a couple weeks.  We have a place 12 miles outside of Cloudcroft and will be living here full time 1 year from now. I'm up here a lot by myself while the wife is still working in Texas.  If anybody ever wants to ride up this way lookiing for a place to stay, just let me know.  If I'm here I'll be glad to put you up for a night or two or whatever you need. 

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »

I'll second everything said about Cloudcroft.  I'm in Cloudcroft as I'm typing this.  Have been here a couple weeks and will be headed back to Texas in a couple weeks.  We have a place 12 miles outside of Cloudcroft and will be living here full time 1 year from now. I'm up here a lot by myself while the wife is still working in Texas.  If anybody ever wants to ride up this way lookiing for a place to stay, just let me know.  If I'm here I'll be glad to put you up for a night or two or whatever you need. 

Hey! Let's have next years BBT at Tom's place in Cloudcroft! How ya doin' Tom? Sorry I missed you at BBT. Bike broke.
Hope to see ya soon my friend!
It's all just part of the adventure!

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »

I've got plenty of parking, camping spaces and trees to go behind.  And in September the elk will be bugling and the chili peppers will be ready.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal