Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 142

Author Topic: DFW X-RIDERS  (Read 223564 times)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: DFW X-RIDERS
« Reply #690 on: November 23, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

Right on!!
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #691 on: November 23, 2006, 11:30:58 AM »

Woolf, we talked about this some down in Galveston. My plan is to buy a second used VTX and tear it down and build it back up like I want. I still do not believe I would as much in to it as buying a Ironhorse, and have a more custom and dependaple bike. Look at the miles you have on your bike, and where you would be if it was a Ironhorse. Don't get me wrong I still go back forth with it myself. Hope to see you this weekend. I will be getting back from New Mexico on Friday around 4:30.
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

hooter

« Reply #692 on: November 23, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »

Woolf, we talked about this some down in Galveston. My plan is to buy a second used VTX and tear it down and build it back up like I want. I still do not believe I would as much in to it as buying a Ironhorse, and have a more custom and dependaple bike. Look at the miles you have on your bike, and where you would be if it was a Ironhorse. Don't get me wrong I still go back forth with it myself. Hope to see you this weekend. I will be getting back from New Mexico on Friday around 4:30.

Ok Woolf:
YOUR IN TROUBLE NOW--THE BIRD HAS SPOKEN

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #693 on: November 23, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

Woolf,

I love the Ironhorse Tejas just like you do but you know we will make you ride in the back from then on.... ha ha ha ha ! ! ! !   They are beautiful though!  I can't believe the one you posted and how close the custom paint jobs are.  Nice looking bike.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM WEST TEXAS!!!!

I'll be back Friday evening!  I'll make some phone calls when I am travelling in and see who wants to ride Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.  I'm up for some riding around all weekend.....as usual!

Later,
-Iceman 

TexPops

• Old Timer
  • Azle (Eagle Mountain Lake) n.w. of Ft.Worth
« Reply #694 on: November 23, 2006, 06:34:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong.... I love my VTX.  I've got it just about where I want it.  It's nice.  It starts everytime and takes me where I want to go.... and in style too.  It's a beautiful bike.

I love the way it sits and feels and if I go too much further it'll sound like I'm talking about a woman!  LOL

I was teasing Lynn the other day via email and sent her a picture of an Ironhorse and said something to the effect of, "Why don't I just get it over with and buy this" and sent her a picture of an ironhorse.  She said something back about how her panties were all messed up now.   O0  I've always liked them and, If I sell my bike and apply this year's bonus, I could get one with a couple of thousand miles and take away almost no note ( if any at all )

All I'm saying is that this wouldn't completely suck:

It's really a good looking bike and they DO sound good and I'm sure Lynn wouldn't mind riding on the FENDER ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

justin69

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "NO PAIN, NO STAIN!!!" Ft. worth
    • http://myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider
« Reply #695 on: November 23, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »

frikin do it woolf man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats a bad Cranberries bike! but u have to sell your bike to mike first!lol ;D ;D

OCIFFER, I SweAr To DRunK I'M NoT GoD!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider

jwoolf

« Reply #696 on: November 24, 2006, 04:38:28 AM »

Hope everybody had a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

John - You're right about the dependability thing, for sure.  The money thing too, I believe.  It isn't too hard to find an Ironhorse from 16-19k with just a couple of thousand miles on it though. ( The one in the picture has 5k miles on it and is 19k with custom pipes and a bust Cranberries LED set up on it )

There are pros and cons though. 

I do like wrenching on the VTX and, I doubt I'd do as much on an Ironhorse ( but it will probably need more wrenching ).  The Ironhorse would have just about everything chrome on it already and wouldn't need much done to it.  To me the Ironhorse wins the "it looks cool" award but, it will still look like a lot of other Ironhorses.   

They sound good and, the motor is about the same size as the VTX.  I think the Ironhorse has a 107ci and the VTX has 110ci.  That's the small motor for the Ironhorse.  The largest, I believe is 127ci.  So, that's pretty much a wash.

I guess it all comes down to an emotional decision.  What floats your boat.

I am telling myself for now that I'm not going to get into a hurry about this.  I'll think about it some more before jumping into anything....  If I were to get an offer on my bike that I could live with, I'd probably get into a hurry then but, that hasn't happened so, I'm going to probably look at that bike in the picture I posted on Saturday just for grins and take a ride on it and see if I even like the way they ride.

The biggest drawback to fixing up a VTX is that whatever money you sink into it in upgrades you'll lose for the most part.  Since most people finance, you're not going to get much more than bluebook because that's all anyone will finance.  My bike already has a lot of upgrades on it and, If I drop a hell of a lot more money into it, I'll never get any of it back when I decide to sell it.  You may get some of it but, Try selling a 2002 VTX for more than 8000.00.  You won't get it.  I don't care what you've spent on it.

The upgrades thing is true of any bike but, an Ironhorse already has almost everything on it already and is included in the price you pay initially.  About the only thing you'll end up adding is exhaust, an air breather, small turn signals and LEDs.  Maybe go completely crazy and change pegs and grips.  LOL

I can't decide but, I guess I don't have to right now.  I'll go and look on Saturday and see what I think.  I may decide that I hate em.

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #697 on: November 24, 2006, 06:26:55 AM »

Joe, what are you and Lynn doing tonight? Iceman and I were talking about doing something tonight when we both geet back to town. I land at 4:30. Give me a call later today. I am heading to the Midland Airport around 10:30 and the phone should be back in a cell area around 11:oo Maybe we can all get togeather later. Have you heard from Dan?
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #698 on: November 24, 2006, 08:33:44 AM »

Hey TBird,
I am going to head out of the Lubbock area in about 30 min.  I'll be back in Dallas by 1:30PMish.  I'm game for a beer somewhere, even if we're not on the bikes.  I'll talk to ya'll later.  Everyone have a safe trip home.

-Iceman

Muffmaster

• Old Timer
  • Selective Honesty is Not Lying
« Reply #699 on: November 24, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »

BEER?? and Hooter hasn't replied? Let's meet somewhwere away from the shopping malls though :o :o

Muff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:33:44 AM by Muffmaster »

hooter

« Reply #700 on: November 24, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »

BEER?? and Hooter hasn't replied? Let's meet somewhwere away from the shopping malls though :o :o

Muff

BEEEERRR  BEEEERRR  BEEEERRR
TALK ME INTO IT. At least where and when and I'll do what I can       

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #701 on: November 24, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »

The ironhorse has an S&S motor in it, doesnt it? A single crankpin motor will not produce as much horsepower that a dual crankpin motor will if they are they same size and no other mods like a hot cam and pistons. The new Harley 96 cu in motor only puts out something in the neighborhood of 65hp and 79ft lbs torque, and thats with a retimed cam and high compression pistons over the 88 cu motor, besides the extra stroke. 'Cause of the increased compression, you now have to put in premium gas to keep it smooth. Although the cool factor would maybe be up...I think you'd loose significant power if the 107 is stock. If you do it.. let me know. I'm curious
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:06:55 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

jwoolf

« Reply #702 on: November 25, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »

Sorry guys.

Lynn and I were out on the bike before T-Bird's response about doing something yesterday.

We're about to go over and look at that Ironhorse in a few minutes and later we have to do a fun walk/run in Ft. Worth but, plan on leaving that pretty early.  We'll be in town later ( tonight ) If anybody wants to get together and do something though.

Snake - I'll bet you're right about that single pin crank.  It does make it sound good though!  LOL 

We went and looked at some bikes yesterday in Ft. Worth.  I looked at some big dog's and some Titans.  I was not overly impressed to be honest.  I don't think any of the Ironhorses have a hydrolic clutch and were pretty stiff.  Also the bike insn't balanced with all that extra weight on the left side of the bike.

I need to ride one today and see if there's anything I can't live without...

I came home yesterday feeling somewhat deflated.  I'm going to look at the slammer in the pic I posted and see if that one is something I want to look into.  It seems that the slammer is the top of the line for Ironhorse.  I saw a plain jane one at strokers that was solid red paint going for 34,495.00 yesterday.  Sheesh!

jwoolf

« Reply #703 on: November 25, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »

Update...

Ok, VTX lovers here's the scoup as I see it. 

Choppers are a very emotional thing.  They don't outurn the VTX and, they don't out-perform our bikes in any way but, they do look way cool and they sound nice.  They will never be as dependable either. 

Ok, so that's out of the way, I'll probably get one anyway.  LOL

I rode several today.  All had S&S motors.  I think they are about neck and neck as far as performance.  I think the 127ci motor may have even edged out the X as far as performance but, the damned thing wouldn't turn.  It had a 300 tire on the back.  LOL   The bikes with the 240 on the back were pretty fine though.  They'd turn ok and handle like motorcycle.  The 300 on the back was way different though.  It was like the back of the bike wouldn't follow the front.  Almost like you were riding on a flat back tire.  Every time you wanted to turn the back tire was up on the edge of the tire and it was flat.

That's the update for now. 

I'll talk to you guy's tomorrow if you come to Duke's

I'm a little emotional right now about it and need to think on this for a couple of days.  There's a bigdog that I'm having a hard time not just buying right now.  It will never be anything but a bar hopper but, that's all I'm looking for right now.

hooter

« Reply #704 on: November 26, 2006, 01:00:17 AM »

OK Xer's. We need to help Joe out with his dilemma and decision making process and there's two ways this can be achieved, but unfortunately for him they both involve a rope and a tree. O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 142

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal