Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!  (Read 2456 times)

DEMON

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »

The SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

Uphill... Barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay   a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it   

And how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!  Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us.  As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our Cranberries!  No where was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

There were no CD players!  We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone.cause that's how we rolled dig? 

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!  When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your Cranberries and walk over to the TV to change the channel! There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »

Yep you over 30 kids had it easy too! :violin: :violin:

The "over 60 Crowd"

:rofl:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »

Yup, those were the days!   :thumbup:

opos04

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

I walked every where unless i could bum a ride. I got my M/C DL. in 1969. There were no
cassettes. They were 4 tracks. Then the 8 track came out and we thought that was as far as technology could go. If i wanted to ride around at night i had to sneak dad's keys to his 64 coronet, push it down the driveway , turn the aircleaner top over so it would sound COOL. Then coast it back into the driveway. Let my grandson do that today! He would be grounded for life!!!!!!   P/S You can see my first Yamaha in the avatar.
2007 1800N Charcoal

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »

I am currently working on the first new car I bought, 1980 MG, It still has a Pioneer 8 track. I still have some tapes for it all are loose at the track changer. I recall how to rewind them, but I doubt that I will bother.

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »

I remember my Dad telling me that
when Abraham Lincoln was my age,
he walked miles in the snow
just so he could get to school.
My reply was...
Yes Dad, But at your age
he was President.
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

wpxrider

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »

I always said I would never do that either. But, then the kids act like they will die without the latest cell phone, and the words just start pouring out uncontrollably. :cuss:

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »

Black and white TV, No air conditioning car or house but we also didn't have to worry about crack heads or child molesters. We could spend all summer riding a bike all over town or exploring a creek. Yes if we were acting a fool, it was open season but that was because neighbors looked out for each others kids. Things could wait, everything didn't have to be done yesterday .In some ways , young people of today have it harder than we did.
It's all just part of the adventure!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

Black and white TV, No air conditioning car or house but we also didn't have to worry about crack heads or child molesters. We could spend all summer riding a bike all over town or exploring a creek. Yes if we were acting a fool, it was open season but that was because neighbors looked out for each others kids. Things could wait, everything didn't have to be done yesterday .In some ways , young people of today have it harder than we did.

They don't have it any harder by any means but, they for damn sure don't have a clue to know or feel the freedoms that we had growing up. Back when  :flag: was freedom.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Scotrod

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »

I wonder if this discussion is anything different than what would have been heard 100 yrs ago,, 200,,,, 300,,,????

Same 'criteria', different words,,,

maybe "Indoor plumbing"???

"Better Saddles"???

and maybe the "Muzzle-loadin / Flintlock Blues"?!?!?!?

And, what will it be like +100, +200, +300???

The world keeps turnin,,,,,, like it or not,,,,

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »

Don't worry be happy.

when you get over the age of ------

can't rember

what were we talking about

how was talking

about what

maybe one of these days

one of these days

or was it  don't know any more 

have  a  nice  day

or night

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »

I'm glad I'm not a kid these days, and glad I don't have kids. They have some things better than we did, but the best years of this country are not ahead of them.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

DEMON

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »

I'm glad I'm not a kid these days, and glad I don't have kids. They have some things better than we did, but the best years of this country are not ahead of them.

+1   

I feel sorry for the old folks that depend on this and future generations to take care of things... the more I get to know today's kids the more I love my dog.

DEMON

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »

I also posted this on a sport bike forum and the responses are very different....   I think the average age there is in the mid 20's vs. here late "old folks"   :stickpoke:

:rofl:

Philanderer

• Old Timer
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »

When I was a kid we didn't have to walk to school uphill in snow both ways because we were rich. We had a donkey we could ride to school.
I showed up at a campsite where 4 of my biker co-workers were staying. We were going on a morning ride to get breakfast. Two of the guys that were supposed to ride waved me on and said "We can't make this one". My boss started his bike and looked at me and said "A lot of people 'own' motorcycles".
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal