Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tire question  (Read 5033 times)

wolverine

• Tejano
  • He has put eternity in their hearts. —Eccl.3:11
Re: Tire question
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »

hey. alot of good stuff here about the tires. my dunlops got maybe 9000 good miles. I am fixin to get a new rear and was wonderin which tire to go with besides the dunflop. I am inclined to go with the Avons now. we ride the back roads north and west of houston so far haven't ventured outof state. still alot of Texas to ride. anywho. thanks for the chatter.   :cool2:
2005 VTX1800F S1, Tribal on Titanium. Corbin seat w/studs, sweetest girl in the world on the backrest. Willie n Max saddle bags, Kuryakyn Maltese cross foot pegs n grips. Hondaline windshield. Tank bra. 200 Metzler ME 880 Front n Rear 31,000 n climbing.

tejasx

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »

Gotta get new tires before the Colorado ride. I'm in the north Austin, Cedar Park, Round Rock area. Can anybody recommend a good place to get them and have them mounted. Don't want the Dunlops, either Metzler or Avon.

Thanks

Do you have a Biker's Bay in your area.  I bought a new rear tire for my Harley at the one here today, they are having a 30% off sale and it was only $40 to take the tire off the bike, mount and balance.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »

How long do the avon's last?
I know people that have gotten 20k  on the ME880's
just a question I don't know much about avon's

Approx. 10-12 K on TX's flat azzed roads. They are SUPER tires!

Actually, I average 18-20K miles on the front and 14-16K miles on the rear with the Avon Venoms.  I won't change to another tire unless I have to.

That's my mileage too but I alway change in pairs so 14 - 16 k. I know how a lot of folks feel about their Metz and Bridgestones but I HAVE NOT found a better handling tire in all conditions, especially rain, than Avon Venoms. Just my $.02 and if I change to another brand it will have to be at gun point.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

hey. alot of good stuff here about the tires. my dunlops got maybe 9000 good miles. I am fixin to get a new rear and was wonderin which tire to go with besides the dunflop. I am inclined to go with the Avons now. we ride the back roads north and west of houston so far haven't ventured outof state. still alot of Texas to ride. anywho. thanks for the chatter.   :cool2:

Definitely go with the Avons...you won't be sorry.  If I were you, I'd go with the new Avon Cobras, and I'd put the 200/60-16 on the rear!  :thumbup:

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/cobra

wolverine

• Tejano
  • He has put eternity in their hearts. —Eccl.3:11
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

Hey, got the new skins today. well the rear anyway. went with the Avon Venom  200/55 R18. man it is nice. looks great and going to break it in this weekend. gonna be a birthday fathers day weekend for me and my lovely lady wants to go somewhere.  as usual we going find a route and ride.  thanks for the good advice. ride safe, God bless.  :cool2:
2005 VTX1800F S1, Tribal on Titanium. Corbin seat w/studs, sweetest girl in the world on the backrest. Willie n Max saddle bags, Kuryakyn Maltese cross foot pegs n grips. Hondaline windshield. Tank bra. 200 Metzler ME 880 Front n Rear 31,000 n climbing.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »

Hey, got the new skins today. well the rear anyway. went with the Avon Venom  200/55 R18. man it is nice. looks great and going to break it in this weekend. gonna be a birthday fathers day weekend for me and my lovely lady wants to go somewhere.  as usual we going find a route and ride.  thanks for the good advice. ride safe, God bless.  :cool2:

Doh!!!  I just realized you had an F model...yup, 200/60-16 wouldn't work!

Enjoy!!!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »

Actually, I average 18-20K miles on the front and 14-16K miles on the rear with the Avon Venoms.  I won't change to another tire unless I have to.

Ditto only my front was close to 22k

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »

When you don't "ride it like ya stole it", you can get more miles out of them!  :t

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »

When you don't "ride it like ya stole it", you can get more miles out of them!  :t

say he who got 18-20 out of his :ohwow:

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

redfrog

• Rider
  • 2004 VTX 1800 Neo
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 07:23:56 AM »

Okay, I know somewhere this has been dicussed. But haven't found it anywhere...My front tire is wearing on the left side faster then the right. I have a Metz on it. My previous tire did the same. I ride from New Braunfels to Austin 5 days a week on I 35. and put about 30k miles this way So not to much twisting and turning. Boring yes but it is what it is. I am almost coming to the conclusion it is the wind causing me to lean more to the leftside with the way it's been blowing the last couple of weeks.  ::) SO any idea's would be helpful. If I could go tot he darkside with my front I would...Okay maybe not..lol
On a side note..My Goodyear all-season is holding up fine. Looks like it did the day I put it on...lol..Around 5k mile ago.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »

Okay, I know somewhere this has been dicussed. But haven't found it anywhere...My front tire is wearing on the left side faster then the right. I have a Metz on it. My previous tire did the same. I ride from New Braunfels to Austin 5 days a week on I 35. and put about 30k miles this way So not to much twisting and turning. Boring yes but it is what it is. I am almost coming to the conclusion it is the wind causing me to lean more to the leftside with the way it's been blowing the last couple of weeks.  ::) SO any idea's would be helpful. If I could go tot he darkside with my front I would...Okay maybe not..lol
On a side note..My Goodyear all-season is holding up fine. Looks like it did the day I put it on...lol..Around 5k mile ago.

There have been many debates on where the left-side front tire wear comes from.  The only thing I'll say about helping to minimize it is to be diligent about keeping the tires properly inflated.  I run my Avons at the max psi (42 front/50 rear) and have almost no front left-side tire wear, and I'm on my third set.

dkjsr49

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »

I went with the Metzler ME880's front and rear.  Big difference from the Dunlops, could tell right away. Bike rolls real nice into the turns, should be good for the Colorado mountain roads. I'll have them broke inbefore the ride. :bikerider:

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »

Okay, I know somewhere this has been dicussed. But haven't found it anywhere...My front tire is wearing on the left side faster then the right. I have a Metz on it. My previous tire did the same. I ride from New Braunfels to Austin 5 days a week on I 35. and put about 30k miles this way So not to much twisting and turning. Boring yes but it is what it is. I am almost coming to the conclusion it is the wind causing me to lean more to the leftside with the way it's been blowing the last couple of weeks.  ::) SO any idea's would be helpful. If I could go tot he darkside with my front I would...Okay maybe not..lol

There have been many debates on where the left-side front tire wear comes from.  The only thing I'll say about helping to minimize it is to be diligent about keeping the tires properly inflated.  I run my Avons at the max psi (42 front/50 rear) and have almost no front left-side tire wear, and I'm on my third set.

This has been cussed and discussed and nobody has figured out why the 1800 and maybe the 1300 wear the left side so hard. Proper inflation is the major key to tire life on our scooters, there's no doubt about that but, join the club, I don't care what tire you run the left will wear faster than the right. I have really considered getting on a board of X riders in England to see what their tires do on the other side of the road. Could be interesting. Basically I feel, although the VTX was a well built and designed bike in the power train, they shorted the suspension area completely. I've changed my suspension up considerable with Progressive GL 1800 springs in the front ( raised it up about 2" ) and went with shorted Progressive rears ( 3/4' ) and it did change how my bike corners and handles 100%, I still get the left wear. I guess that's something we'll have to endure till somebody figures it out. There are lots of articals out there and you can read till your blue in the face but in the end they all throw up their hands and say they really don't know either.  :idontknow:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »

I had the same problem with left side wear. Ive been told under inflation, which side of the road I ride on yada yada yada. all i know is I only got 8000 on my Metz in less than 9 months. :cuss:  can you go darkside on the front too!  :cuss:
It's all just part of the adventure!

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »

Okay, I know somewhere this has been dicussed. But haven't found it anywhere...My front tire is wearing on the left side faster then the right. I have a Metz on it. My previous tire did the same. I ride from New Braunfels to Austin 5 days a week on I 35. and put about 30k miles this way So not to much twisting and turning. Boring yes but it is what it is. I am almost coming to the conclusion it is the wind causing me to lean more to the leftside with the way it's been blowing the last couple of weeks.  ::) SO any idea's would be helpful. If I could go tot he darkside with my front I would...Okay maybe not..lol

There have been many debates on where the left-side front tire wear comes from.  The only thing I'll say about helping to minimize it is to be diligent about keeping the tires properly inflated.  I run my Avons at the max psi (42 front/50 rear) and have almost no front left-side tire wear, and I'm on my third set.

This has been cussed and discussed and nobody has figured out why the 1800 and maybe the 1300 wear the left side so hard. Proper inflation is the major key to tire life on our scooters, there's no doubt about that but, join the club, I don't care what tire you run the left will wear faster than the right. I have really considered getting on a board of X riders in England to see what their tires do on the other side of the road. Could be interesting. Basically I feel, although the VTX was a well built and designed bike in the power train, they shorted the suspension area completely. I've changed my suspension up considerable with Progressive GL 1800 springs in the front ( raised it up about 2" ) and went with shorted Progressive rears ( 3/4' ) and it did change how my bike corners and handles 100%, I still get the left wear. I guess that's something we'll have to endure till somebody figures it out. There are lots of articals out there and you can read till your blue in the face but in the end they all throw up their hands and say they really don't know either.  :idontknow:
I've heard arguments for the "crowning" of U.S. roads to send water to the shoulders, the weight to the X's right side (especially with standard pipes and the heavy azzed midget crutch pipe support, and on and on, but, I decided I would just route my rides to do more right hand turns vs. lefties, so I have improved my wear mileage numbers greatly.  :ohwow:  :c  :bikerider:  :simmadown:  :stickpoke:  :couch:  :drool:  :cool2:  :flag:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal