Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Mount and Balancing  (Read 1266 times)

falcondob

• Trailer Queen
Tire Mount and Balancing
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »

Alamo Cycle Plex (San Antonio) just told me that it would be $150 to MOUNT the new tires I have and that doesn't include tax or "shop supplies". Anyone have an alternative?

I can remove the wheels from the bike. I MIGHT be able to dis-mount and mount the tires. But, I can't balance them.

Working on a slim budget...any ideas? Is there blackmarket tire mounting?   

Oh sorry..I have a 2003 Honda VTX1800S and just bought Dunnie replacements.

Thanks in advance..
John
2003 VTX1800S
Love my new ride!

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
Re: Tire Mount and Balancing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »

Sounds like if you didn't buy the tires from them, they just gave you a high price so they didn't have to do them.Some places are like that. Somebody in your area should know a mom and pop shop that will mount them cheaper, I would mount tire all day long for 150 a pop.  :no no:
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

TEXVTXER

• Old Timer
  • 2006 VTX1300 R in Black...the fastest color!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »

Check Craigslist in SA...do a search for MC tire mounting...found a fella in Leander that does them...also a fella in Austin.  Try it.
TEXVTXER
Patriot Guard Rider

2006 VTX1300R: Cobra fatty highway bars and light bar, MF 21" WS, Kury ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss and Longhorn Hwy. pegs, Cobra sissy bar w/luggage rack, Ultimate X Big Boy w/Ultimate Pssgr. Seat, Leatherlyke Bags, Kury Ultra Tour Bag.

siggy57

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »

I use this guy, he has a shop behind his house and has always down quality work at a fair price. Located near Koenig and Burnet in Austin.

http://www.motoready.com/MotoReady%20Draft/Home.html
'05 VTX 1300C, Darkside

Stormy

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels,Tx.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

Try cycle gear on I-10 West. Not sure what they charge.

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »

I had Kent Motorsports (Honda) in New Braunfels mount and balance a set Avons I purchased over the internet from Directline about 1.5 years ago for $25 per tyre.  I carried them into the shop.  I have a new set of tyres on order from Directline, got a great deal because of their March Madness Sale.  I am expecting delivery this coming week and plan on carrying in this set also to Kent Motorsports in New Braunfels although I haven't called to confirm the price.  But I know the new Service Manager there pretty well and am expecting the same deal (I Hope)

Depending upon where you live you might call the new Yamaha shop in Selma.  They are owned by the same group as the shop in New Braunfels and Ron who was the service manager in New Braunfels when I got my tyres mounted before is now the Store Manager of Kent Yamaha so it seems they may also have a similar price.

As for balancing I am trying Dyna Beads on this set of tyres so I'll let you guys know how that works out compared to traditional balancing.

Demon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:49:52 AM »

Alamo Cycle Plex (San Antonio) just told me that it would be $150 to MOUNT the new tires I have and that doesn't include tax or "shop supplies". Anyone have an alternative?

I can remove the wheels from the bike. I MIGHT be able to dis-mount and mount the tires. But, I can't balance them.

Working on a slim budget...any ideas? Is there blackmarket tire mounting?   

Oh sorry..I have a 2003 Honda VTX1800S and just bought Dunnie replacements.

Thanks in advance..
John

check with cyclegear...  they charged me $35.00 out the door to mount/balance and dispose the rear tire on my bike

falcondob

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »

Thanks everyone. I will give these people a try.
2003 VTX1800S
Love my new ride!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal