Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear LED Brake & Turn Signals  (Read 1093 times)

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
Rear LED Brake & Turn Signals
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »

Just bought these and I am going to mount them on a piece of flat stock and mount them with the license plate bolts and then removing my existing rear turn signals. I am thinking of using a 5 wire to 4 wire trailer adapter module so I can have brake, turn, & parking lights on these.
My question is this: has anyone used one of these adapters before and, if so, does it work properly on the X? 

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Rear LED Brake & Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »

According to my recollection process, I don't think I have ever seen these.  ::)
But heck I don't really remember.  :ohwow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »

According to my recollection process, I don't think I have ever seen these.  ::)
But heck I don't really remember.  :ohwow:

If you are talking about the adapter, it is the one you buy when you have separate turn signals and brake lights on your vehicle so you can connect a trailer to it, which normally uses the same filament of the bulb for the brake & turn signal. I have heard that some have used this modification in order to have extra brake & tail lights on the rear.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »

This is what I was talking about. I used the word "adapter" when it is actually a "converter". This one is compatible with LED lights. $25.00 @ Autozone.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »

This is what I was talking about. I used the word "adapter" when it is actually a "converter". This one is compatible with LED lights. $25.00 @ Autozone.

Bob I just don't remember  ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »

Well, the drill press I thought I had access to is broken so I tried to drill straight holes with my hand drill in the chrome pipe I was going to use to mount these with. Didn't work! Messed up the pipe so I found a couple of L brackets, flattened them out, drilled the holes out to fit, mounted the lights on them and then mounted them behind my license plate.
How does it look? Just remember that the original turn signals are going bye bye.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:47:19 PM by BobWd »

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

Here is what I did:
1. Made some adapter harnesses so I could plug both the original brake & running wires in the factory connection and also plug in the wires from the trailer converter. (I put the same round ends on the wires)
2. Removed the original turn signals and plugged the converter wires into the correct sockets. Used the same colored wire to make a new harness to run to the rear of the bike.
3. Plugged up the LED lights and found out that, with the running lights plugged up, you couldn't see the turn signals or brake lights so I unplugged the running light wire.
This looks pretty good in my garage but I found out that you can hardly see the brake/ rurn signals in the sun light. Guess I need to figure something else out.
4. What do you think about these?

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »

Custom Dynamics makes several LED solutions for Motorcycles specifically.  I have them on the front and back, they look good and work better. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »

Found a link to the VTX Conversion Kit

http://www.customdynamics.com/vtx_turn_signal_mod.htm
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal