Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Helmet article in FW Star Telegram Monday, Sep 24 Edition  (Read 2923 times)

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
Re: Helmet article in FW Star Telegram Monday, Sep 24 Edition
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »

I'm highly skeptical that insurance rates would drop if everyone wore helmets.  Just not enough of us riding enough miles to add up to that much difference, in the grand scheme of things...  and helmets only giving about a net fatality/injury decrease of about 16% among those that wear them, and about half already wearing them anyway...  It only comes down to only about 0.8% percent reduction of all motor vehicle fatalities/injuries, and I'm sure the ins. cos would have no problem finding a pocket of their own to tuck that into...

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 03:10:27 PM »

I personally feel like this;
1.  Just by riding and giving up the safety of a hood out front, doors, seat belts, a trunk in back as a buffer/crunch zone, You have taken the 100% safety of the car( I know I know, but we will use them as the benchmark of safety) and given up about 90% of your survivability quotient already...
2. With 10 percent safety as all you have, Not wearing a helmet shouldn't knock it down anymore than half.
Too many self righteous people swear yes to helmets, but will not even cover their arms from the asphalt in case of a fall.
Too many self righteous people swear yes to leather, then will not wear a helmet to protect their heads
in case of an accident.
Some dress up like power Ranger...I believe this adds back about 5-10 % survivability, for a total of about 20 % as safe as when you were in a car, at best.
I find it ludicrous for people that wear lids and not leather or other PROTECTION (some of the new textiles) to point fingers at helmetless riders who are wearing leather. And the opposite also.
You gave up the BIG percentage just by riding a bike. Why squabble over 5-10 %? You are in the same boat...that is unless you wear power ranger gear AND drive a goldwing WITH an airbag.
Me? I wear a helmet almost religously, maybe ridden 10 miles in the last 35 years or so without. Hard to ever catch me without one. I got ran over by a galaxy 500 in 72', and ground a hole while sliding in gravel through the bubble shield I had on my helmet.  Woulda' been my face otherwise.
I am still pro choice though, wear what you like, I'll ride with ya'!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »

I think that if you decide not to wear a helmet then you should have to take out an additional insurance policy that will specifically help pay/reimburse whoever has to clean up your blood/brain matter when you do get rolled up.  Otherwise, all of our insurance rates will continue to increase.  Especially with all the squids out there on crotch rockets.  Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a 20 yr old kid in flip flops, Bermuda shorts, and a T-shirt with his girlfriend on the back wearing sandals, shorts, and a tank top blaring down the road on their STUNTAH GSXR.   >:(  Goons, the lot of them.   ;D

You do have to have a certain amount of health insurance or PIP protection to not wear a helmet, or take the safety class right?

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 05:13:48 PM »

You do have to have a certain amount of health insurance or PIP protection to not wear a helmet, or take the safety class right?
To Legally ride without a helmet, health insurance or a safety class will do the trick, helmetless riders don't have to have either. Only LEGALLY helmetless riders do.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:19:10 PM by snake »
     420! Yeah, baby!

rbrown

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »

Snake, I agree. Pro choice is still the answer and I'll ride with anyone whether they wear a lid or not. Like you, I intentionally laid my bike down early on due to a stupid cager and popped my head on the gravel. Had a headache but feel it would have been a lot worse had I not been wearing one.

We all do know the risk when getting on a bike and there is only so much you can do to protect yourself. Safety class is probably more important since it teaches good defensive and driving skills.

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »

The helmet controversy is something we talk about sometimes at work since I do work at a hospital and some of my coworkers ride and some don’t ride. I have seen what can happen when you do and don’t wear a helmet. On the plus side of wearing a helmet is that it can protect you face and skull. On the negative side is that it can sever your spinal cord. So even working in a hospital some people wear them some don’t. I believe that we are all adults and should have the right to choose but also to face the consequences of our choices. To be honest I saw some stuff that freaked me out this week but the damage was not due to a helmet. All of the damage I saw was on the patient’s body. So if you wear one or you don’t just watch out for those Cagers. When I ride I consider anyone in a car an idiot so try to look out for what mistakes they might commit. So everyone just ride safe and enjoy the ride cause you know there is nothing like it.  O0
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »

I think a hell mitt is nothing more than a device used by lazy Cranberries paramedics, to tote yer brains back to the truck :o...........after all, what good is yer head if it aint attached? ::)
Furthermore,If they dont like the mess :'(.....they should get a job ironing underwear at the local cleaners :-\ ..........
Ifn ya need a hell mitt, just drive yer cage ???....you will be safe there..........

DagoRed

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »

I'm a paramedic and I wear a helmet.  I think everyone should.  I also HIGHLY respect a person's right to choose.  After all...isn't that what riding a motorcycle is all about?

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 02:47:50 PM »

Snake, I agree. Pro choice is still the answer and I'll ride with anyone whether they wear a lid or not. Like you, I intentionally laid my bike down early on due to a stupid cager and popped my head on the gravel. Had a headache but feel it would have been a lot worse had I not been wearing one.

We all do know the risk when getting on a bike and there is only so much you can do to protect yourself. Safety class is probably more important since it teaches good defensive and driving skills.
Actually, I didn't "lay" it down...the car cut accross my lane while it was turning onto a dirt road to my right...a car was in the oncoming lane the galaxy just left...no room there, just a head on. So I tried to brake and hang the right...slid sideways into the Galaxy, crushed the left knee and artery, lucky I didn't get a hole in the leg...the busted artery "filled up" my leg and kept me from bleeding out. The bike  and I slid on my right leg/arm/helmet to a stop. The pipes then cooked my right leg, trapped under the bike. The sad thing is, that left knee isn't my "bad" knee...tore the right one up playing ball.
     420! Yeah, baby!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 02:50:34 PM »

I'm a paramedic and I wear a helmet.  I think everyone should.  I also HIGHLY respect a person's right to choose.  After all...isn't that what riding a motorcycle is all about?
That is what I believe it is all about. But then again, I'm a democrat so that may not count! ;D
     420! Yeah, baby!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »

I think a hell mitt is nothing more than a device used by lazy Cranberries paramedics, to tote yer brains back to the truck :o...........after all, what good is yer head if it aint attached? ::)
Furthermore,If they dont like the mess :'(.....they should get a job ironing underwear at the local cleaners :-\ ..........
Ifn ya need a hell mitt, just drive yer cage ???....you will be safe there..........

I sure hope you don't ever need one of those lazy Cranberries paramedics D. ;D
     420! Yeah, baby!

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »

so, your for or against helmets? ??? ;D ;)

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »

Actually, I didn't "lay" it down...the car cut accross my lane while it was turning onto a dirt road to my right...a car was in the oncoming lane the galaxy just left...no room there, just a head on. So I tried to brake and hang the right...slid sideways into the Galaxy, crushed the left knee and artery, lucky I didn't get a hole in the leg...the busted artery "filled up" my leg and kept me from bleeding out. The bike  and I slid on my right leg/arm/helmet to a stop. The pipes then cooked my right leg, trapped under the bike. The sad thing is, that left knee isn't my "bad" knee...tore the right one up playing ball.

Cool horror story there, Snake...  I got broadsided by a car in '79.  I realized I was gonna get hit with no time left to avoid it, I instinctivley grabbed all the throttle in a futile effort to escape his path, and (also instinctively) yanked my right leg up out of the way.  The seat height (Honda 550) was slightly above the top of his car hood, it just swatted the bike out from under my Cranberries, my forward momentum got my body out of the way before his windshield arrived.  The bike heading south with my left leg still draped over it spun me over and around, I contacted the road with my back/shoulders, did half a somersault and landed on my feet.  Not a scratch on me, leather jacket a little scuffed, minor scratches on helmet, bike totaled, underwear clean (it happened too fast to get scared).

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

Im pro choice for hell mitts, I do like mine when winter rars its ugly head.....
and I do know alot of parameds, including some good bros here..... ;)
just have to mess with em, and I hope Im beyond them when the time comes...................THATS what riding is about............WE ARE ALL doomed, its just a matter of time if you ride..........some folks sooner than others............
God Bless, Ride safe
d

rbrown

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »

Bare, your's was a lot worse than mine but a cager forced me to lay mine down, as well.

As far as your policital persuasion, I would think you would want government to buy everyone a helmet so you could raise taxes to pay for it. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal