Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Helmet article in FW Star Telegram Monday, Sep 24 Edition  (Read 2924 times)

rbrown

Helmet article in FW Star Telegram Monday, Sep 24 Edition
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:58:18 AM »

There was a front page article titled "Riders Divided About Helmet Proposal" in today's FW Star Telegram that was actually fairly balanced and thought everyone might be interested.

Here's the link: http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news/story/245351.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:59:54 AM by rbrown »

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
Re: Helmet article in FW Star Telegram Monday, Sep 24 Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »

Is it a really short article, or am I missing something?   ???

rbrown

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

The article in the paper is much more in-depth. They severely shortened it for online viewing. I think it's worth 50 cents to pick up.

solitary-man

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »

I think the law is good like it is. I choose to wear one whenever on the bike, just my thing. What I am interested in changing is a law against people talking on cell phone while driving. O0

White Wolf

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »

rbrown

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

That's the full article but it doesn't have the fatality graphic that is in the paper. Thanks for posting the full one. I'm just excited that motorcycle safety is getting press since maybe it will wake some cagers up. If you look at some of the specific Ft. Worth fatalities then I don't see anything about a car running out in front of the bike. The media as a whole could do a lot better in making people aware that the majority of accidents that they call lost control are really due to cars pulling out in front of bikes.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:47:01 PM »

That's the full article but it doesn't have the fatality graphic that is in the paper. Thanks for posting the full one. I'm just excited that motorcycle safety is getting press since maybe it will wake some cagers up. If you look at some of the specific Ft. Worth fatalities then I don't see anything about a car running out in front of the bike. The media as a whole could do a lot better in making people aware that the majority of accidents that they call lost control are really due to cars pulling out in front of bikes.

+1

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »

+1

hey I need one of those patches. Where can I find those ???
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »

I ordered a bunch of stuff from here:  http://www.smokeymountaintrading.com/  and they came in very quickly.  They even have the Remove before flight banners...  The site was a little tricky, it took me to another site at one point, http://www.4tumbleweed.com but I ordered some stuff from there as well, just gotta see what you want and who has it cheaper, the second site will do custom patches (like name or saying) as well...

and so this can't be considered thread hi-jacking...

Get your helmet law patches at the above websites!

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »

Helment or no helment , I bet most of the bikers were killed by cagiers  on cell phones.  :'(
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »

Helment or no helment , I bet most of the bikers were killed by cagiers  on cell phones.  :'(
And I bet a cigarette dropped in the lap has killed WAY more than cell phones have, they're just the newest distraction....Stereos, kids in seats, all the other distractions are big contributors too. Not to mention DVD players now.... ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

rbrown

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »

I agree, Snake. I still feel that more motorcycle safety awareness on TV and in newspapers could help wake people up to paying attention on the road. Prosecuting would also wake people up.

kenpo chris

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »

I used to wear one with my hayabusa, and now with my vtx I don't.  I like that it's my choice and want it to stay that way.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »

I think that if you decide not to wear a helmet then you should have to take out an additional insurance policy that will specifically help pay/reimburse whoever has to clean up your blood/brain matter when you do get rolled up.  Otherwise, all of our insurance rates will continue to increase.  Especially with all the squids out there on crotch rockets.  Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a 20 yr old kid in flip flops, Bermuda shorts, and a T-shirt with his girlfriend on the back wearing sandals, shorts, and a tank top blaring down the road on their STUNTAH GSXR.   >:(  Goons, the lot of them.   ;D

rbrown

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:14:45 PM »

I choose to wear one all the time but that's my choice. I will say that insurance rates here are almost double what they are in Alabama since they have a helmet law. I'm not sure it is due to less fatalities as a result of everyone wearing a helmet. I still understand a lot of people's desire to make their own choice.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal