Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a newb question about engine braking  (Read 5438 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
a newb question about engine braking
« on: May 31, 2006, 06:06:09 AM »

Not entirely sure where this question should go, but hey, this seems close...  I posted it on the vtxoa board as well....

Ok, I rode sportbikes and inline 4's exclusively for a long long time. I just bought a used '04 VTX 1800. It has only 2k miles on it and it's in great shape. It was purchased with Hard Krome 3inch Staggered Drag Pipes. Here's the thing....

When I'm approaching a stop sign or light, or just stopping in general, I'm used to downshifting thru the gears and engine braking as well as using the brakes. These pipes which sound pretty darn good while driving make a popping noise...backfire?...as I'm doing this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the bike? Was it not set up correctly for the pipes? I know with carbs you often have to re-jet them for a new exhaust. I've pretty much always been a stock exhaust guy, I was never interested in modding or anything, I just like to ride. But with FI, I don't know if there was something the original owner should have done or if this is NORMAL and I'm just paranoid. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
My now long gone VTX...

NeoRetroVTX

Re: a newb question about engine braking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 06:50:50 AM »

Morgan,

If you're considering installing stock pipes back on the bike, let me know cause I'm looking for aftermarket pipes for my bike and maybe we can work something out i.e. I'll give you my stock pipes and purchase your aftermarket pipes.

As for your backfiring issue, normally, this is caused by a lean (or rich) fuel condition, or an exhaust leak, or even a bad fuel injection component such as an air flow sensor. I have read many reviews of people installing aftermarket pipes on their VTX 1800 and most seem to say that backfiring is not an issue after the bike warms up. Does the bike have a Powercommander or some sort of aftermarket fuel management system installed?

Roland

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=144140

I got some pretty detailed answers, basically nothing is wrong.  No, wasn't thinking of getting rid of them, I like the pipes...which is really unusual to me.  I never liked loud pipes before.
My now long gone VTX...

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »

Try completely closing the throttle during decel rather than backing off some. I hear this helps. Luckily, I never had a problem with mine doing it.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:43:53 AM »

Morgan, I just did the desmog on my bike and my brothers yamaha warrior. It cuts out most of the decel popping. Your honda dealership can order those block off plates so that you just pay tax vs. $15 shipping.  I have the barons part # if you need it. I think I paid 20 bucks for the kit.

*Closet Darksider*

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »

Mine has popped since day one and I like it.  :-*

Bill

galpd320

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »

As most people here and VTXOA will tell you, this is normal with aftermarket pipes so long as it's not a shotgun blast type of backfire, just more of a "sputtering". There are ways of preventing it, from what I have learned. The most common way of stopping it is to do a "desmog" which is removing the PAIR valve which is an emissions control system that pumps oxygen into the exhaust to burn off the unburnt fuel remaining in the exhaust. Instructions on how to do this are here http://bareasschoppers.com/desmog/. The sound is tolerable to me to not risk voiding my warranty to remove this PAIR system. It just takes some getting used to, in fact I kind of like it now. It does not affect the performance of your bike in any way to leave or remove this PAIR system.

Here's some links to the VTXOA garage for more info:
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=7&id=34&artlang=en
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=7&id=136&artlang=en
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:40:29 PM by galpd320 »

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 11:28:32 PM »

Tapper has posted his Air, Fuel, somefin or another Missive on here it's a good read and explains in easily understandable term why bikes pop.  Read through it when you get a chance.

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 07:07:25 AM »

Just as a note:

I have done the d-smog, added vance and hinze big shots and have a k&n filter and have done more than regular maintenance.

My bike decel popped when it was stock and decel popped after every change I made. Worse at times than others.

Here recently it had gotten to the point of excessive popping.

Yesterday I did a valve adjustment, new plugs, cleaned the filter and changed the oil. When I took it for a little 30 mile ride last night it hardly popped at all.

I attribute it to the new plugs burning the gas more efficiently. My bikes running rich and my old plugs had quite a lot of carbon build up. I'm thinking as these plugs start to carbon up the decel popping will increase. I have a PCIII yet to install which will lean the mixture and slow the carbon build-up on the plugs thus slowing the return of the popping. I'm convinced the popping is directly related to how well the plugs burn the gas mixture in the cylinder regardless of what mods you make. So, and this is just my opinion, any change from the stock set up will need to be followed by a FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM to make the bike run efficient again.

I also think that where you live has something to do with how efficient the mix gets burned in the cylinder. I live about 12 ft above sea level in an area that is normally 50 to 85% humidity. If we have a cold front blow through and lower the humidity down to around 30% my truck and my bike runs a lot better.

Tune in tomorrow when I will discuss oil, which I don't know anything about either.  ;D

Bill
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:09:25 AM by Dusty »

carrington

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:43:07 PM »

I have the Pair valve de-smog, Kury Pro Hyperchager, K&N filter, Reamed stock pipes, no baffles left at all, the Bosch +4 4419 plugs and my PCIII went pffft so no Power Commander.  I am running really rich right now and decal pop on deceleration like crazy.  It didn't pop at all until the PCIII went south.  So I pretty much attribute the decal popping to a rich mixture on deceleration.  If I try, I can get some crazy backfires from this combination...  Hopefully the PCIII will be back from the factory in a week and I can get the old-girl running right again.

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »

Hey mORGAN, GET SOME TYPE OF FUEL MANAGER AND THE PROBLEM WILL GO AWAY.

rEGARDS pAPERPEDDLER

xriderintx

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »

I did the desmog also but I was still getting that popcorn sound.. :-\.. I was about to lose my mind till I decided to check the gaskets..When I bought my X it had aftermarket pipes allready and the pcIII so I assumed that was all good..NOT! There were no gaskets! Dont know if they disentagrated and blew out or the prev owner didnt bother? Also I heard that the flange on aft. pipes are bigger so that the stock acorn nuts can actually "bottom out" before you get em snug enuff...I added a washer just to be sure.good luck and ride safe O0
03 1800c.. 6degree trees,cp punisher bars,corbin gunslinger,v&h bigshots,xchop

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

Not entirely sure where this question should go, but hey, this seems close...  I posted it on the vtxoa board as well....

Ok, I rode sportbikes and inline 4's exclusively for a long long time. I just bought a used '04 VTX 1800. It has only 2k miles on it and it's in great shape. It was purchased with Hard Krome 3inch Staggered Drag Pipes. Here's the thing....

When I'm approaching a stop sign or light, or just stopping in general, I'm used to downshifting thru the gears and engine braking as well as using the brakes. These pipes which sound pretty darn good while driving make a popping noise...backfire?...as I'm doing this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the bike? Was it not set up correctly for the pipes? I know with carbs you often have to re-jet them for a new exhaust. I've pretty much always been a stock exhaust guy, I was never interested in modding or anything, I just like to ride. But with FI, I don't know if there was something the original owner should have done or if this is NORMAL and I'm just paranoid. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Like Paperpeddler said some type of fuel management will help and you haveing a PCIII it might need to be remapped so that the bike is not running too rich to cause the backfiring.Just so you don't feel alone on the popping I have a 1800c w/ Jardine exhaust and if I really try I get the fire out the back.  ;D Have you changed out your blinkers yet?? I have mine waiting and alot of other stuff to do when I have a couple of free days to play Mr. Overhaulin. Good luck 8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »

I did the desmog also but I was still getting that popcorn sound.. :-\.. I was about to lose my mind till I decided to check the gaskets..When I bought my X it had aftermarket pipes allready and the pcIII so I assumed that was all good..NOT! There were no gaskets! Dont know if they disentagrated and blew out or the prev owner didnt bother? Also I heard that the flange on aft. pipes are bigger so that the stock acorn nuts can actually "bottom out" before you get em snug enuff...I added a washer just to be sure.good luck and ride safe O0

It might take a PCIII and a new map to make it stop completly but next time you decel, try shutting the throttle completely closed instead of just rolling off of it.

If it helps, thank John Pound  O0

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal