Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help please......not mc related  (Read 4008 times)

XSPWR

• Old Timer
  • Tony, Christen, DA "X"
help please......not mc related
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »

i-t question; i spilled wine on my keyboard and now my shift key doesn't work.......no caps or symbols above numbers can be accessed........any ideas how to fix.....can't use question mark either.
 :banghead:
Da Coonazz
'02 1800 C,
50,000K miles,
Lots of Goodies
You can't drink "ALL DAY" if you don't start in the morning!

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
Re: help please......not mc related
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »

Tony,

Define keyboard.

If it is wired to a desktop computer, just chunk it and buy a new one. They're cheap at twice the price.

I've never had a wireless keyboard so I can't help you there.

On a laptop, there are a bunch of screws on the bottom that hold the case together. Unplug the power cord and remove the battery. You don't want stray power while you're probing with metal tools. The power won't hurt you but you might ruin your laptop. I usually try to turn on my laptop to make sure it is completely dead. Carefully, I SAID CAREFULLY, undo do them. Check lengths as you remove them. I had one computer with three different lengths. You should be able to gently pry apart the case now.

If not, look for more screws hidden under the hard drive and/or the battery area. The boat laptop has two screws that can only be accessed by removing the hard drive. It's no big deal. After all, you've turned off the computer and the hard drive can only go in one way. If you're still having difficulties, check under the rubber feet. Usually, not. Just need to pry a bit harder. Yeah, scary.

The keyboard usually just rests on the top with small tabs to hold it in place. Ease it up off the machine and you should see a plastic membrane under it.

That is where your wine is. Clean up the wine and let dry.

Replace the keyboard. Install the top case over the keyboard.

Try to remember which screws went in which hole. Drink a few beers. Say F--K IT! and screw them in any ole hole.

Turn on laptop and viola! The keyboard should be working again. Say to your self that next time I'll take pictures while dismantling the case. Yeah, Right.  :banghead:

I've operated on the boat laptop so many times that not all the case screws are still there. Had to replace my keyboard once. Had to replace the display and inverter once. Bought parts off E-bay and repaired it like new for less than $35. But I will say that opening up a laptop is like your first sexual experience with a partner. You never forget the nervousness of removing that first screw.

Or you can go to Best Buy, drop your pants and let the Geek Squad fix it for you.  :ohwow:
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

XSPWR

• Old Timer
  • Tony, Christen, DA "X"
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

thanks, lucky's lover.  it is a desktop computer and keyboard.  there are a bunch of screws behind it as well, just not sure what i'd be getting into if i take it apart. 
Da Coonazz
'02 1800 C,
50,000K miles,
Lots of Goodies

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »

Wired keyboards start at $15 at Best Buy.

Why not take the old one apart and see what happens? It's probably a membrane keyboard like a laptop and what are you out if you REALLY break it?
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »

I have a few laying around Want one ???

If it's worth a ride to the north side I got one you can have  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »

Why not take the old one apart and see what happens? It's probably a membrane keyboard like a laptop and what are you out if you REALLY break it?

I agree with everything Wayne said. The only other advise I would know of is to switch to Scotch. It's not quite as hard on the keyboard. And, ...after drinking Scotch you are much less likely to be working on your computer anyway.  :good:

My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

I agree with everything Wayne said. The only other advise I would know of is to switch to Scotch. It's not quite as hard on the keyboard. And, ...after drinking Scotch you are much less likely to be working on your computer anyway.  :good:

:agree: Scotch is the ticket :thumbup: :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

bulldog777

• Tejano
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »

Pull it apart! It's already messed up as is. What's the worst that can happen? You either fix it, or you gotta buy a new one. Go for it! :thumbup:
Bulldog777
2007 VTX 1300R
2004 Aero 750
Desert Shield/Desert Storm Vet

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »

Take it apart, do what Wayne said. Put it back together.Throw it away. Ride to Spring and get one from Gumbo. :bikerider:
It's all just part of the adventure!

XSPWR

• Old Timer
  • Tony, Christen, DA "X"
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »

thanks for all the generous and funny replies guys and gals.  all is appreciated.  i start my new job tomorrow, wed, and won't have time to mess with this small inconvenience just yet, but do know that it is all greatly appreciated.  love ya all and again, thanks.  will let ya know how things work out, or you will notice when you see me use capitalization, exclamations, etc. but for now, have bigger fish to fry.

tony
Da Coonazz
'02 1800 C,
50,000K miles,
Lots of Goodies

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

:thumbup: :agree:    Fish fry and fried key board sound great to me!!!   Those guys are very helpful arn't they!!!    Ride safe ride long.    When is that fish fry!!  ;-)
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »

:thumbup: :agree:    Fish fry and fried key board sound great to me!!!   Those guys are very helpful arn't they!!!    Ride safe ride long.    When is that fish fry!!  ;-)

Oh you wouldn't come even if there was a fish fry  :lunch: ;D
Ride safe ride around the block  ;) ;)

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »

:notworthy:   Yes, Banjo it really hurts not to be a rider any longer!!!!   Things happen though!!   I still have some good memories !!!   It was great when I could !!  Ride safe ride long :flag: :goldwing: :goldwing:
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »

:notworthy:   Yes, Banjo it really hurts not to be a rider any longer!!!!   Things happen though!!   I still have some good memories !!!   It was great when I could !!  Ride safe ride long :flag: :goldwing: :goldwing:

We still love ya Bro  :thumbup:

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »

:redcard:   Thread jack !!!!!   I am going to put you on my list!!!!    You make good gumbo !!!!!   Do you have any good ways to cook duck?????
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal