Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terrifying motorcycle crash caught on camera  (Read 3964 times)

gsboriqua

• Old Timer
Re: Terrifying motorcycle crash caught on camera
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

I like the related videos at the bottom:

'Crash Into Me' by Dave Matthews

Phattened up by www.stumpwerx.com
Custom work by www.cat5customs.com

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »

It almost happed to me.   I almost got squished yesterday on the VTX.
I pulled out of my neighborhood street headed across Eldridge (a four lane with only a yellow strip as a divider) and headed toward the light at Little York 1/2 mile away.  I noticed a Ford pickup coming down Eldridge in my lane headed my way but a ways off so he wasn't a threat when I crossed out onto Eldridge even though I could tell he was speeding.  As I slowed for the red light at Little York, I scanned my mirrors and noticed the Ford coming fast and straddling the yellow line!  He was half way into the other lane going into head on traffic but there was no one in the area at the time ............thank God.  He briefly slammed on his brakes smoking the tires for some unknown reason, then got off of them and swerved back into the fast lane.  The one I was in!  At this point he's about 80 yards behind me and closing fast because he's still flying above the speed limit of 45 mph.  Now stopped behind a truck but still in first gear, I immediately pulled forward in between the vehicles of my two lanes.  I moved up two cars lengths and came to as stopped as I watched the guy in my mirror slam on his brakes (tires screeching again) and slide to a stop only about 6-8 feet behind the truck I was previously stopped behind. The guy in the truck was alerted to what was happening by my pulling past him very quickley between cars and hearing the tires screeching behind him so he was moving forward trying to gain more distance from this asshole.  So by estimate the asshole stopped well past where I had previously had been.  I would have been toast.  It's pretty sobering thought seeing his truck come to a screetching stop where I just was seconds earlier.  I sat there shaking my head at this guy and I could tell he was drunk or under the influence of something.  When the light turned green, I proceeded down Eldridge with other traffic and kept my distance from him while looking for a cop.  I gave this clown a wide berth as he passed me on the left and we made eye contact and he laughed as he went by.  Proceeding down Eldridge at about 50 mph he repeatedly moved across the yellow line completely into head on traffic and caused others to swerve out of his way.  Others headed in my direction gave him plenty of room anticipating a head on wreck shortly.  Thank God it didn't happen.  Within a mile he stopped for a left turn red light at hwy 529. He waited about five seconds then ran the stone cold red light as others slammed on their brakes and swerved to miss him as he went through the intersection.  At this point I broke off and let the mental midget go about his day to kill someone else.

This is the second time I have almost been wiped out by someone coming up from behind and not stopping in time. Even though this type of accident ocurs in less than 3% of all accidents for motrcyclists,  I'm a prime example it can happen at any time.  I avoided being killed both times by being vigilent and manuvering out of harms way.  The first event ended in a huge wreck because he didn't stop but I wasn't involved in the carnage because I got out of the way in time.  This time there was no wreck, but only because I moved in time. These two events occurred within three years of each other.  I truly believe the intelligence level of drivers is in severe decline.  Being observant pays dividends.  Defensive driving mandates you keep your bike in gear and be vigilent of threats behind you when at or coming to a stop.  Don't relax or take your bike out of gear until the vehicle behind you comes to a complete stop.  At least you'll have that cushion behind you if they are hit from behind.  In addition, I always stop about a full car length behind the vehicle in front of me.  This gives me adequate room to manuver if I have to in a hurry.  I follow these suggestions when I ride and it has saved my life twice now.

Be careful out there people.  There are plenty of those fools out there just waiting to intersect with you.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:58:29 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »

I did just a day trip over the weekend.  Due to a late start, and threats of rain to the north, we only made it out as far as Sam Rayburn lake.   Got a place to sleep for the night, then went back down the road 8 miles on the other side of the lake for some catfish.

After some tasty catfish....  we did the 8 miles back across the lake, 2 bikes I was in the rear.  A truck that we had been following across the bridge, pulled to the side of the road and started to swing wide getting ready to pull a u-turn.  lead bike goes by, and then the truck started to make it's u-turn... right into my path!   I swear I had some type of glimpse of the future, because i was chomping down on the brakes well in advance of the guy pulling his stunt.  So I gave him a earfull of horn and other friendly words as we stood there at a stop, with him blocking the middle of the road just looking at me like i was some type of alien.....

Sadly i wish i could report that this was the worst thing to happen, but it is not.  My buddy locked up his rear brake in a right hand turn to a stop sign.  This resulted in a classic high-side and i got to watch both bike and rider go tumbling.   Rider is ok, minus some road rash on his arms was only wearing a tee-shirt.  I am just glad that he did have his fullface on, because the front of his helmet now looks like a victim of a tragic farming accident and not his face.

I hate saying this but the cause of his wreck was pure rider error.  He was not looking ahead, didn't see the stop sign until it was to late, and then panicked in a corner.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »

Mike, glad you are ok
Bryce, glad you are ok also...sorry about your friends misfortune
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »

Sure hope you guys bad experiences takes care of the karma for the rest of the group for awhile :popcorn: ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »

Sure hope you guys bad experiences takes care of the karma for the rest of the group for awhile :popcorn: ;D

If you're hoping karma will keep you safe on the road..............I think your doomed.  :t
Each person is responsiable for thier own saftey...........or lack of it.  It's your call how deligently you take being safe on a bike and/or riding defensively.  IMHO, If your not vigilent about safety while on a bike, some idiot or obstical will eventually intersect with you in a bad way. 
I value my life too much to trust it to karma.  What ever that is.   :laugh:
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »

If you're hoping karma will keep you safe on the road..............I think your doomed.  :t
Each person is responsiable for thier own saftey...........or lack of it.  It's your call how deligently you take being safe on a bike and/or riding defensively.  IMHO, If your not vigilent about safety while on a bike, some idiot or obstical will eventually intersect with you in a bad way. 

Oh get a grip Saftey Boy
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »

man i love caramel!!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »

Oh get a grip Saftey Boy
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal