Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrifying motorcycle crash caught on camera  (Read 3965 times)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Terrifying motorcycle crash caught on camera
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »

I've been watching this on the news today, he is one lucky son of a gun  :ohwow: :ohwow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »

Wasn't that wild? He was zoned out, too. You can see where he locked up the rear tire because he wasn't anticipating the idiots stopping.

Get thrown off of your bike and onto a car ahead of you and then NOT get run over by the other idiots. Buy lottery tickets.....
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »

I saw that and he is very very lucky and the person that hit him should be hamstrung.I would love to know if they were texting or reading both common on Houston freeways.
Alvin,Texas

DEMON

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »

I bet that if he got hurt a work show would not tell him to stop working... lol 

yes he was going too fast... he is lucky things didn't go worst for him.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

It happened up near Dallas.
Because he was struck from behind, technically it's the cagers fault. Unfortunately he contributed to the accident by over reacting and braking too hard.  He braked so hard as to smoke the tire(s) when there was no reason to brake so hard. He had adequate room ahead of him to slow without creating a threat from behind as a result of braking so aggressively.  Who knows what he was looking at when he finally snapped and decided to begin braking, but he obviously was not scanning far enough forward down the road to see the vehicles ahead of him slowing down so fast and was not aware of the approaching vehicle from behind.  He had adequate room to slow down without stopping so fast as to cause the guy from behind to hit him.  He had a clear shoulder to his left to bail out into............ had he been aware of the car behind him and then realized he would not stop in time to avoid hitting him.

Lesson to be learned?????????
Stay on your toes and don't fall asleep while you’re riding.  Don't become complacent.  SEE as you ride.  Search Evaluate and Execute (SEE) constantly as you ride.  Keep your head on a swivel and ALWAYS be aware of traffic around you as you move down the road.   Traffic is a constantly changing scenario and you must be aware of how it's changing as you proceed through it.  As you ride you should constantly be planning escape routes as you proceed through traffic should an event begin to unfold. SEE!   Ride through traffic like you’re a running back in a football game.  You should visualize and execute routes through the opposing players (cars) as you run down the field.  SEE!  If you ever feel the need to hit the brakes aggressively in traffic, at the moment you begin to move your limbs to initiate the brakes, you should be scanning your mirrors for immediately threats from the rear.  If you are a proficient rider, you should be able to apply brakes effectively without having to look ahead of you as you quickly scan the mirror for an approaching threat.  You should already have an idea of where the vehicle behind you is before you have the need to hit your brakes, if you were scanning properly before an event starts to unfold.     
Rear end collisions with motorcycles only account for less than 3% of the total motorcycle accidents so it doesn't happen as often as you might think.  We can mitigate that by staying vigilant and scanning our environment constantly as we ride as if our lives depend on it..............because it does.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:25 AM »

what no comment about the GF dropping "is't me or the bike" on the guy??

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »

The bike.
Chunk the llama.

BoricuaVTX1300

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »

Man that was really bad.  But I agree with what was posted before.  We always have to SEE.  I ride like I am amoung a bunch of idiots that don't know how to ride with motorcycles. 
Own 2007 VTX 1300 C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »

uh er um that is.... uh What was the question again?  Tough question.. In order of importance to me: GF, boat, bike. (although GF says it's boat, GF, bike)  :redcard:
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »

uh er um that is.... uh What was the question again?  Tough question.. In order of importance to me: GF, boat, bike. (although GF says it's boat, GF, bike)  :redcard:

and... what does Lucky thing about the GF beating out the wife?  :pot: :couch:

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »

and... what does Lucky thing about the GF beating out the wife?  :pot: :couch:

I always knew you were a trouble maker  ;D ;D ::)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

The car hit the car in front of the motorcycle! Even had he stopped normally he would have got popped! Seems to me he probably got lucky by braking like he did because he got thrown out of the way easier.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »

The car hit the car in front of the motorcycle! Even had he stopped normally he would have got popped! Seems to me he probably got lucky by braking like he did because he got thrown out of the way easier.

Read my #5 reply again (if you didn't read it already and I assume you haven't read ALL of it by your comment).  The main point of my comment(s) is to pay attention while your riding to the surrounding traffic and act when required............. BEFORE you get run over.  Your response indicates to me your focusing ONLY on the fact I stated he was braking too hard initially.  While I still believe that was a minor mistake on his part, that wasn't the problem that caused him to get hit from behind as you have pointed out.  The biggest problem/mistake he made was not paying attention to his riding environment before and during the event as it unfolded. He got hit because he stayed in that lane.  He had plenty of room and more than adequate time to bail out to his left on the shoulder before he was hit.  Even though he over reacted and hit his brakes too hard initially, he failed to be aware of traffic behind him as he decelerated.  He could have easily gotten off the brakes and evaded to the left shoulder.............HAD HE BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO HIS ENVIRONMENT PRIOR TO REALIZING HE NEEDED TO BRAKE AND NOT FIXING ON THE THREAT IN FRONT OF HIM AFTER IT STARTED TO UNFOLD.  
Most accident senarios don't give the rider adequate time to completly stop before making contact with the obstical they are trying to avoid, that's why aggressive counter steering and swerving techniques must be practiced and used.  Many riders fail to act and perfom the correct evasive manuvers in the event of an accident to avoid going down.  The average time a rider gets before he needs to initiate an action on his part to avoid a collision is just less than two seconds (1.8 seconds).  That's why it's so important to be aware of what's happening around you at all times, because you don't have a lot of time to react to it once it begins.  Practice swerving and collision avoidance manuvering (and become proficeint at it) before you need to do it in real life accident scenario.  When it comes time for you to act on the steet, it will be second nature to you.  You won't have to actually think about doing it, because you won't have time to.
Very few people are born with inate talent for something, so the rest of us mortals have to practice at things to become good or great at it.  Like being able to ride a bike safely.  These are some great books to help teach riders the correct way to ride and survive on the street.  I've read them all.  Some are better that others.  I have over 50 books on riding but these are some of the best ones IMHO.  Go to Half Price Books and you can often find them for 5-10 bucks a piece.  That's a small price to pay for knowledge!

Motorcycle Books

Streetbikes   Everything You Need to Know
Bill Stermer

Sportbiking   The Real World
Gary Jaehne

How To Ride a Motorcycle   A Riders Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development
Pat Hahn

Proficient Motorcycling      The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
David Hough

More Proficient Motorcycling      Mastering the Ride
David Hough

Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way   Advanced Motorcycle Skills Through Confidence and Control
R. Pridmore with Geoff Drake

Ultimate Street Strategies   Riding Hard, Smart and Safe for Advanced Motorcyclists
Pat Hahn

Performance Riding Techniques      The MotoGP Manual of Track Riding Skills
Andy Ibbot / Keith Code

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:58:00 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »

When an accident happens those very few seconds pass by almost like multi mega minutes!

Then again the old phrase SH_T  HAPPENS

Accidents will happen , to any one .

An accident is it worthless?

An accident will happen!

An accident may happen to someone you know , maybe even YOU !

An accident or near miss ......... YOU ( WE ) MUST LEARN FROME IT!!!!!

LATER
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal