Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fork oil capacity  (Read 1095 times)

paffap

• Old Timer
Fork oil capacity
« on: August 29, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »

Ok guys, i need your help. I blew a fork seal while riding in colorado. Ordered the parts and changed the seals and bushings, however when I went to put new oil in them they wouldn't hold it all (about 3 oz each side wouldn't fit ) The spec I had for an 08 1800 were 24 +/- oz & 26.2 +/-. also the tubes sat disassembled for a week so I am pretty sure they were drained all the way. Any advise is welcome. I filled the forks so that they had some give and rode it but seems too soft. Also went with 20 weight oil to stiffen the ride.???

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
Re: Fork oil capacity
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »

Did you pump the damper rod several times per the service manual?

paffap

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:33:37 AM »

What is this "service manual" thingy you speak of? No I didn't know to do that but Steve told me the same thing, thanks for the reply. I guess this weekend I will pull them down and do it right if I can find fork oil locally. 

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »

What is this "service manual" thingy you speak of? No I didn't know to do that but Steve told me the same thing, thanks for the reply. I guess this weekend I will pull them down and do it right if I can find fork oil locally.

I use Bel-Ray fork fluid, and it should be available at most auto parts stores or m/c shops.

Here's a link to a free downloadable 1800 service manual.  Then you can just print off what you need and start building up a printed manual you can put in a 3-ring binder.

http://www.mdxiles.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15

paffap

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »

Thanks for the help!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal